PDA

View Full Version : Anyone polish corian/laminate bathroom countertops?

spewking
09-17-2017, 02:26 PM
Have a 15 year old home with corian laminate countertops that have scratches and spider webs as a result of normal wear.

Has anyone tried to polish out such? I am thinking I would try some Menzerna 3500 or 3800 with a white pad and see how it goes on a test spot. Am afraid compound would be too much.

Any ideas on doing it or how?

Thanks,

David

JCDetails
09-17-2017, 02:34 PM
I would imagine it's probably just a form of poly coating like clearcoat or plastic. Start soft and work up, I don't see any problem with your plan other than the menzerna being pricey for such an experiment haha

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

Route246
09-17-2017, 02:48 PM
I have thought about this. Search youtube such as this: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=polish+corian

The other thing I was going to do was to call some local countertop shops that sell Corian, Zodiaq, et. al. and ask them what they use to polish. I am sure it is very similar to polishing paint in terms of equipment. We have both Corian and Zodiaq all over the house (no granite, though) and some of it could use a nice polish. I just haven't spent the time to research this yet.

If a shop is willing, you might also see if they were willing to show you what they do when they setup a countertop for install. I am sure they use similar techniques that detailers do.

GSKR
09-17-2017, 04:57 PM
Have a 15 year old home with corian laminate countertops that have scratches and spider webs as a result of normal wear.

Has anyone tried to polish out such? I am thinking I would try some Menzerna 3500 or 3800 with a white pad and see how it goes on a test spot. Am afraid compound would be too much.

Any ideas on doing it or how?

Thanks,

David

If you machine polish laminate or formic it gets matted meaning dull.It doesn't like heat by hand no problem.

GSKR
09-17-2017, 04:59 PM
Corian can be disastrous.check with the manufacturers. Is it real or fake Corian.

Route246
09-17-2017, 10:22 PM
Corian can be disastrous.check with the manufacturers. Is it real or fake Corian.

We have a Corian surround in the guest bath. It was custom fabricated out of slabs bonded together and you cannot see the seams unless you look very closely. I saw the rough Corian at the shop before it was fabricated and they did a nice job of polishing and buffing the surface.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk