PDA

View Full Version : It's the new guy

sjw515
09-17-2017, 10:38 AM
Hey everybody. My name is Scott from North Carolina. I have always had a passion for cars but I am new to detailing and I would like to learn more!! My current car is 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP. I am having some issues with the paint, particularly on the roof. I will post some pictures of the car and the issues with the paint... I could really use some advice! I believe it is just oxidation and sun damage is the issue but I could be wrong.. Thanks guys.

It wasn't letting me upload pictures for some reason.. But here is the link to my photobucket with pictures of the car.

sweisch515's Library | Photobucket (http://s1028.photobucket.com/user/sweisch515/library/?sort=3&page=1)

Paul A.
09-17-2017, 10:51 AM
First off welcome to AGO, Scott.

From those pictures it unfortunately looks like clearcoat failure on the roof. If that's the case there isn't anything to cut, buff or polish. I certainly hope I'm wrong. However, if it is CC failure nothing will fix it short of a repaint. The shiny paint surrounding the dull failed areas can be brightened up but be mindful that the shiny clearcoat is most likely very very thin so go extremely light and careful so as to not remove the thin remaining clear.

The rest of the paint that is still shiny can be buffed lightly to brighten it up.

Basically, the paint's age is a factor here and if it were mine I would not be too aggressive for fear of cutting it down even thinner. You can brighten it up quite a bit but I wouldn't go for full correction.

BadDogPSD
09-17-2017, 10:52 AM
Nice car & welcome! Looks like clear coat failure..

Mike Phillips
09-17-2017, 10:53 AM
Hi Scott,

Welcome to AGO! :welcome:

To post pictures from your phone get TapaTalk. Otherwise you need a computer.

I know that if which I speak, I recently created a thread with over 300 pictures.

Over three hundred pictures...

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/autogeek-roadshow-detailing-classes/115759-what-s-like-attend-autogeek-roadshow-detailing-class-lots-pictures.html

:)

Mike Phillips
09-17-2017, 11:04 AM
Here's one of your pictures - I'm using TapaTalk to insert it below

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170917/a96bf46673a89ea654da785c9b8fbea1.jpg

Viewing from my phone that looks like extreme clearcoat failure or primer?

If it's cc failure the ONLY honest fix is to repaint.

:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kamakaz1961
09-17-2017, 01:19 PM
Hi Scott welcome to AGO

The Guz
09-17-2017, 01:29 PM
Welcome to the forum.

Always good to have another w-body around.

It does look like clear coat failure to me as well.

sjw515
09-17-2017, 03:39 PM
Thank you to everyone for the warm welcome!! If it is indeed clear coat failure, is my only option to repaint? A co-worker of mine told me I should wet sand it and re-clear the roof... But I'm not so sure that's a good idea! Unfortunately, money is kind of tight at the moment so I am looking for an inexpensive way to fix/improve it. Thoughts??

CarolinasFinestDetailing
09-17-2017, 08:19 PM
Hey Scott! Hello from Charlotte. Your best inexpensive option would be to either Plasti Dip the roof or have it vinyl wrapped. Vinyl wrap will be more expensive but look nicer in my opinion.

Guyb
09-17-2017, 08:57 PM
Welcome to the forum! Looks like I am late to the party for a reply.

sjw515
09-18-2017, 06:39 AM
Hey Scott! Hello from Charlotte. Your best inexpensive option would be to either Plasti Dip the roof or have it vinyl wrapped. Vinyl wrap will be more expensive but look nicer in my opinion.

What about spray paint? I'm not a big fan of plasti dip...

sjw515
09-20-2017, 09:30 AM
Still waiting for some advice about either spray paint/plasti dip for the roof? Or would wet sanding and re-clearing it work? Thanks again for the help

BadDogPSD
09-20-2017, 10:06 AM
A friend of mine repainted the hood of his Toyota truck. He did it himself in his garage. It turned out pretty good. Definately better than before it was painted, but not as nice as a body shop could have done.

sjw515
09-21-2017, 02:33 PM
A friend of mine repainted the hood of his Toyota truck. He did it himself in his garage. It turned out pretty good. Definately better than before it was painted, but not as nice as a body shop could have done.

Yeah I think I am leaning towards painting it myself since I don't have the money to get it done professionally. Any advice?

sjw515
09-26-2017, 03:27 PM
I am having some trouble trying to find a quality black spray paint for my car....