PDA

View Full Version : Mixing Two Spray Wax Products

Route246
09-17-2017, 12:15 AM
I mixed OCW and McKee's 37 Fast Wax 1:1 today and used it as a drying aid. I had been using both alone as drying aids in the past with great results.

Optimum Car Wax 128 oz. Refill (http://www.autogeek.net/opcarwa1ga.html)
McKee's 37 Fast Wax, Carnauba spray wax, spray car wax, detailing wax (http://www.autogeek.net/xmt-360-spray-wax-128.html)

The 1:1 mix of OCW and McKee's Fast Wax worked pretty well. It was easier off and less streaking on my gloss back splitter.

Anyone else mix products like this?

VISITOR
09-17-2017, 12:23 AM
i use to mix a few products together but since i'm no chemist and the manufacturer of the product most likely will not recommend it (important since they know their product(s) best), i really don't do it anymore. you never know if in the long run if there can (or will be) problems with two products mixed together which in return can cause problems to the paint or any other part of the vehicle you apply it too. not too mention effecting the outcome of the products used to their fullest potential in which they were designed to do...

Route246
09-17-2017, 01:44 AM
i use to mix a few products together but since i'm no chemist and the manufacturer of the product most likely will not recommend it (important since they know their product(s) best), i really don't do it anymore. you never know if in the long run if there can (or will be) problems with two products mixed together which in return can cause problems to the paint or any other part of the vehicle you apply it too. not too mention effecting the outcome of the products used to their fullest potential in which they were designed to do...

I read the descriptions (in the links) and figured there would probably be no negative synergies. The descriptions could almost be interchanged. See the following:

Optimum: Optimum is the first and only wax that contains UVA and UVB absorbers to shield your paint from all the sun’s harmful rays. The formula combines high-grade carnauba wax and sealant polymers to give you outstanding shine and protection. The carnauba produces a warm, high-impact gloss that is the standard in the auto care industry while the polymers bond the shine to the paint to create the long-lasting durability typical of a synthetic wax. Paint has a beautiful, wet shine and is protected from the sun, acid rain, and pollution for up to 5 months!

McKees: This product stands on its own with the protection of carnauba wax plus high-bonding polymers. The paint will be well-protected from UV rays, moisture, and dirt. McKee's 37 Fast Wax creates a very slick finish that reduces surface tension to create a dirt-repellent finish. Dirt and debris literally slide off, keeping your vehicle cleaner.

It seems a shame that the McKee's Fast Wax (3/4 gallon left) was just sitting on the shelf and was probably never going to get used because OCW had displaced it. What led me to mix them together was this:

"Though McKee's 37 Fast Wax can stand on its own, it makes an incredible "wax extender". It bonds well to both waxes and paint sealants, and extends the life of existing paint protection."

Klasse Act
09-17-2017, 06:46 AM
Been making my FrankenDetailer for quite some time, in various stages and for various lsp types for quite some time with great results!

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Route246
09-17-2017, 02:53 PM
Been making my FrankenDetailer for quite some time, in various stages and for various lsp types for quite some time with great results!

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Thanks. In terms of LSP, I don't really think you can have an adverse result. You might come up with something suboptimal but nothing like mixing bleach and ammonia.

FUNX650
09-17-2017, 04:25 PM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/IMG_35162.JPG

Bob