PDA

View Full Version : Wax application and removal question..

Pages : [1] 2

Gump2773
09-16-2017, 10:58 PM
Hi all. I am currently looking into DA or possibly orbital polishers. I will try to be to the point but please excuse my newness to the detailing world.

The company I work for currently uses 2 different methods for polishing cars. Light colored cars are generally a wash and wax method and darker colors are buffed with a large orbital machine. I have brusitis in both of my shoulders and have a hard time using the 18 lb. orbital. I am looking for other options to apply as well as remove wax in as close to the same time the larger machine does. I have been looking at a Griots DA. Will this type of machine be useful for application as well as removal? Is a 6" DA going to slow down the job or can larger pads be used? Im not looking to do any kind of cutting, just wax application and removal. The job usually takes about an hour with the large machine as it is so I need to be as close to that as I can. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Eldorado2k
09-17-2017, 01:10 AM
18lbs. Orbital?? There's absolutely no way... lol.

As far as the Griots 6" polisher, no it's not going to serve a purpose when it comes to removing wax.. But when it comes to applying it definitely shouldn't slow you down vs. using your current 18lbs. polisher.

When you say you'll use it for applying wax:
Do you mean applying a finishing wax/sealant i.e. something that has absolutely no cut and is simply being applied for that final touch of gloss and more importantly protection? Because if so that shouldn't take anywhere near 1hr. to apply.

If you're talking about applying some sort of "cleaner wax" then maybe I could see where it could be a 1hr. job due to having to work to cleaner wax like you would a normL polish job...

Either ways the Griots polisher should serve you well. And no, you cannot use pads greater than 6" on that polisher. [unless there's some old thick waffle cut foam pads from back in the days that no ones mentioned in the past 10yrs. or so]

Gump2773
09-17-2017, 08:50 AM
Eldorado2k, Thank you for the reply. The Orbital we currently use is a GEM, and yes, its 18 lbs.

For the application there is no cut. Its a simple wax application for polish with the GEM and terrycloth bonnet, then let it haze, then removal with the GEM and a microfiber bonnet. This entire process takes an hour or so, with the final walk around with a microfiber taking care of small hard to reach areas by hand.

So if not the Griots, Is there another machine I should be looking at to both apply and remove/buff?

Rsurfer
09-17-2017, 02:33 PM
Either ways the Griots polisher should serve you well. And no, you cannot use pads greater than 6" on that polisher. [unless there's some old thick waffle cut foam pads from back in the days that no ones mentioned in the past 10yrs. or so]

IIRC the Rupes 6" pads are closer to 7" because of the taper.

Rsurfer
09-17-2017, 02:38 PM
Eldorado2k, Thank you for the reply. The Orbital we currently use is a GEM, and yes, its 18 lbs.

For the application there is no cut. Its a simple wax application for polish with the GEM and terrycloth bonnet, then let it haze, then removal with the GEM and a microfiber bonnet. This entire process takes an hour or so, with the final walk around with a microfiber taking care of small hard to reach areas by hand.

So if not the Griots, Is there another machine I should be looking at to both apply and remove/buff?
If your orbital that you are now using is truly 18 lbs., you will love the Griot. I can't imagine polishing with an orbital that weighs 18 lbs. Any pictures?

VISITOR
09-17-2017, 02:39 PM
you can use an AIO and work it in till it flashes (with a DA) and then remove it immediately (there are many AIO's like this) by hand with a microfiber towel. using a polisher of any sort isn't a good idea to remove lsp's because you can potentially marr/scratch the finish...

DaveT435
09-17-2017, 04:16 PM
If you're removing them now with a microfiber bonnet you can certainly remove the wax with the Griot's s with a microfiber bonnet. Use a low speed and you should come out with a finish similar to what you are getting now. What kind of wax if you don't mind my asking.mit seems to me if you're using a Terry bonnet for application you're using a cleaner wax. If you're using a true finishing wax I think in most cases it would be just as fast to remove by hand.

Paul A.
09-17-2017, 04:23 PM
I use my Porter Cable to apply waxes and sealants and remove by hand with a quality MF towel and I'm done in under a half hour. My Porter Cable weighs somewhere between 5-6 pounds...a whopping 12-13 pounds lighter than that GEM rotary.

Gump2773
09-17-2017, 04:34 PM
If your orbital that you are now using is truly 18 lbs., you will love the Griot. I can't imagine polishing with an orbital that weighs 18 lbs. Any pictures?

https://imgur.com/a/pSkiV

Eldorado2k
09-17-2017, 04:38 PM
18lbs. and no basically no handle... Thanks GEM! [emoji57]

Gump2773
09-17-2017, 04:40 PM
If you're removing them now with a microfiber bonnet you can certainly remove the wax with the Griot's s with a microfiber bonnet. Use a low speed and you should come out with a finish similar to what you are getting now. What kind of wax if you don't mind my asking.mit seems to me if you're using a Terry bonnet for application you're using a cleaner wax. If you're using a true finishing wax I think in most cases it would be just as fast to remove by hand.

It to me seems just as fast to remove by hand. Just following the direction the company asks me to go I guess. When its all said and done I just want good results without the shoulder pain. On a lot of the lighter colored vehicles its all by hand... spray wax on wet... apply with wet towel, allow to dry, remove with microfiber. 30 minute job tops.

Rsurfer
09-17-2017, 04:41 PM
https://imgur.com/a/pSkiV

Must be made out of cast iron..thanks for the picture..I wonder if Mike P has one.

Gump2773
09-17-2017, 04:43 PM
18lbs. and no basically no handle... Thanks GEM! [emoji57]

Its a beast of a machine and im ashamed to admit its too much for me to easily handle. apparently they were made that way so zero pressure needs to be used. the machine is supposed to do all the work.

Eldorado2k
09-17-2017, 04:47 PM
Its a beast of a machine and im ashamed to admit its too much for me to easily handle. apparently they were made that way so zero pressure needs to be used. the machine is supposed to do all the work.

But what heppens on the vertical panels? My wrists would be too tired to drive home safely after trying to hold that polisher up for 8hrs. Lol.

Eldorado2k
09-17-2017, 04:58 PM
All applicants must pass a 30min. strength and agility test before qualifying to work with the GEM of a polisher. [emoji23]lol.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170917/554c4c901bee3b3114134209bc54c03f.png