PDA

View Full Version : Detail quick question

Druffner
09-16-2017, 03:33 PM
Hello everyone, have a quick question. Weather is suppose to be perfect Sunday so I plan on doing a allover detail of my car (2016 Ford Fusion in Ruby Red tricoat) so I plan to wash, clay, and the put a sealant on the paint (griots garage one step paint sealant) I don't have a buffer and can't seem to find the small orange foam correcting pads that doesn't have to go on a buffer and I can use by hand. So my question is can I use a small circular microfiber applicator or small foam applicator instead of the orange foam correcting pad that's recommended? Appreciate all input and responses. Everyone have a blessed day!

LEDetailing
09-16-2017, 03:46 PM
Normally I would use a foam applicator for a sealant. However, GG one step sealant has polish in it as well. So, in this case I would use a MF applicator to get some cut out of the polishes. Make sure you have at least 4 MF applicators to use. You will be surprised how much dirt the polish can remove.

If you wanted to add an extra step, I would look at using the MF applicator as a polishing step and wipe that off and then come back with the foam applicator to apply the sealant as a LSP (last step product).

Druffner
09-16-2017, 03:50 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. so your saying apply the sealant first with the microfiber applicator then wipe that off and apply it again but using the foam applicator this time? Just making sure I understood correctly. I'm new to this stuff.

LEDetailing
09-16-2017, 07:07 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. so your saying apply the sealant first with the microfiber applicator then wipe that off and apply it again but using the foam applicator this time? Just making sure I understood correctly. I'm new to this stuff.

Correct, your sealant will act as an AIO (all in one) meaning it cleans, polishes, and seals the paint. The last step with the foam is totally optional. The last step will just ensure you get the best coverage/protection with the sealant portion of your product. Think of first MF pad as polishing and optional last step as waxing. Also the foam pad will not have little to no cut.

LEDetailing
09-16-2017, 07:14 PM
BTW welcome to AGO!

I would look at getting a Griots Garage 6 in polisher. It will make your paint look great and it saves a ton of time. If you go with GG6 polisher look at getting both the 5 and 3 inch backing plates. I'd skip buying the larger 6inch pads and go for the 5-5.5inch pads and 3in will allow to polish those small areas.

Kamakaz1961
09-16-2017, 07:45 PM
IMO you can use the pad you have. My question is: does you ride need any correcting? I am assuming it passes the "baggie" test. If there are no swirls than just a sealant would be fine. But the One Step Paint sealant should be fine. IMO by hand should be fine. It will take longer but if your rides pretty clean, no need to worry about foam pads either.

It may be reasonable that you might not even need the orange pad. I would not sweat the details as it seems like you are on the right track. That one step should be fine too! Pics when you are done.

PS: Did I mention everything should be fine? I must have said that about 5 times!

Druffner
09-17-2017, 08:09 AM
IMO you can use the pad you have. My question is: does you ride need any correcting? I am assuming it passes the "baggie" test. If there are no swirls than just a sealant would be fine. But the One Step Paint sealant should be fine. IMO by hand should be fine. It will take longer but if your rides pretty clean, no need to worry about foam pads either.

It may be reasonable that you might not even need the orange pad. I would not sweat the details as it seems like you are on the right track. That one step should be fine too! Pics when you are done.

PS: Did I mention everything should be fine? I must have said that about 5 times!

Thanks for all all the tips guys. The car is super clean as it sits now. It's just now over a year old has had wax on it since the day I bought it. I bought the mothers 2.0 speed clay. Should I use that with soap and water or buy the spray wax that mothers recommends as a lubricant.