PDA

View Full Version : Pads for rotary

Une
09-16-2017, 05:22 AM
Hello ppl,

I recently bought a Skil rotary polisher i am having hard time finding pads for rotary.i am looking small diameter pad.i most find DA pads like rupes . Salesman said i can use DA pad on rotary .but i not sure .so should i look for specific pads for rotary or i can use any pads on rotary.

Thanks

LEDetailing
09-16-2017, 08:04 AM
I've had good luck with Lake Country CCS 5.5 inch pads on my Dewalt rotary. I would look for a better heavy cut/compounding pad than the CCS light cutting pad. The black CCS finishing pads finish out to perfection.

Paul A.
09-16-2017, 08:23 AM
I like the Lake Country Force Hybrids 5.5" on my rotary.

Lake Country Hybrid Power Finish 5 Inch Pads 6 Pack (http://www.autogeek.net/lc-5-hyb-combo.html)

You can cross utilize DA pads on a rotary but I tend to like a more forgiving and thicker pad when I work with my rotary and stay far away from using my thin DA pads.

mwoywod
09-16-2017, 10:21 AM
When I use my Dewalt 849x or Flex PE-14-2 it's almost always with a foamed wool or lambswool pad and an aggressive compound like M101 or Menzerna SHC300

Mike Phillips
09-16-2017, 10:28 AM
Check this link out

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/2009-2016-how-articles-mike-phillips/87097-my-recommended-buffing-pads-flex-pe14.html

:)

MattyL
09-16-2017, 10:45 AM
+1 on the thicker pads when using a rotary. Stay away from the low profile/thinner pads.

I have used the Buff and Shine 6" flat pads with good results on my Makita 9227. I really like their cream finishing pad. I have been trying to source the 1.25" thick LC Hydrotechs, but have not had any success, however. It appears that only the 7/8" thick low profile pads are available, anymore. If you are able to locate the 1.25" thick HTs definitely pick up the orange and crimson pads, they've always yielded good results for me.

CarPro gloss pads are also a decent finishing pad. This pad and Sonax 3/6 Nano Polish were the only combo that I could finish out hologram-free on an '04 malibu that I was recently working on, but I believe this was more attributable to the Sonax than the pad. Come to think of it, this is the only polish I have ever been able to finish out hologram-free with on the 4 or so cars i've used it on, and this includes po85rd, m205, Optimum Polish II, 3D AAT Finishing Polish, Menz 106FF (old school). The 3/6 is a great finishing polish.

The Lake country Hybrid Force pads are not bad, though I have only limited experience with them. I used the blue Hybrid Wool w/m100 on the trunklid of my '01 SL500 and it cut great and finished out tremendous for a wool (ish) pad and an aggressive compound. I believe I followed it up with po85rd on a crimson HT pad and it was damn near perfect.