PDA

View Full Version : Swirl remover suggestions

Pages : [1] 2

pedrob52r
09-14-2017, 07:56 PM
So the last time i detailed my car, i used pinnacle xmt fine swirl remover #2 with my PC 7424xp and an orange cutting pad. Although i was able to remove some swirl marks, there was also a lot of them left behind. Assuming my technique was spot on(ive watched a few videos from mike), what other/stronger swirl removers would you guys recommend? Ive looked into meguiars 205 and WG total swirl remover 3.0, but not sure if these are harsher than what i have right now. Any other recommendations?

Btw, i dont think the swirls are so deep that i need a compound.

Thanks in advance!

Mike Phillips
09-14-2017, 08:43 PM
Go either the of the two you mentioned...

The Wolfgang is bubba-proof and will work on any paint system.

:)

vobro
09-14-2017, 08:44 PM
Some of my favorites are Optimum Hyper Polish,HD Polish,Megs Ultimate Polish and CarPro Reflect. If I had to pick one I'd go with the Hyper Polish but all will work with a cutting pad to a finishing pad depending on how much cut you need.

pedrob52r
09-14-2017, 08:57 PM
Thanks to both for your replies.

Mike, WG definitely caught my eye from the results from others i saw.

Vobro, I will look into these also.

Mike Phillips
09-15-2017, 08:45 AM
Just to add a little more....

Here's an article showing what the Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover can do even by a newbie.

This post is 8 years old. This thread was started by another forum member about one month after I left Meguiar's and came to work for Autogeek.

The before pictures are on page 1 of the thread and the after pictures are on about page 3 of the thread.

How To Remove Horrible Rotary Buffer Swirl Marks out of a 350Z using the Wolfgang Twins (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/21413-horrible-swirl-marks.html)

Still impressive after 8+ years.

Mike Phillips
09-15-2017, 08:49 AM
Aw heck.... here's the pictures...

Before

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/773/zigzagrotarybufferswirls01.jpg

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/773/zigzagrotarybufferswirls02.jpg

After

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b166/csprakyfly/100_1933.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b166/csprakyfly/100_1965.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b166/csprakyfly/100_1960.jpg

Note this thread and the word done was BEFORE the Wolfgang Uber Compound was introduced.

sarahrox1980
11-16-2017, 04:18 PM
That is one pretty car! you did a fantastic job my friend.

Klasse Act
11-16-2017, 05:09 PM
Meg's Ultimate Compound is a great product and available OTC in a pinch, will work just fine with an orange pad as well.

custmsprty
11-16-2017, 05:29 PM
I'll give another thumbs up for WG TSR, it's a great product.

I also love HD Polish + and topped with HD Poxy.

I did this Z with HD Adapt which has now been replaced with HD Cut+. These are super user friendly and very wallet friendly.....:dblthumb2:

My aresenal would and does include HD Cut +, Polish + , Speed and Poxy. These are very affordable and 16 oz bottles are perfect for the hobbyist.

I also have the complete line of WG polishes, sealant and waxes.

https://www.autogeek.net/3d-car-care-products.html

dlc95
11-16-2017, 11:13 PM
That sounds like a situation where I'd pull out the Menzerna MC2500.

I get a LOT of mileage out of that polish.

jconley30
11-19-2017, 10:32 PM
HD Speed and orange pad

crovello
01-01-2018, 01:44 PM
First attempt with PC random orbital and Wolfgang swirl remover.
As you can see in this first picture, the hood of my car was in terrible shape. I had it serviced at a small garage and it came back like this. They must have put stuff on my hood and dragged it around. I thought is was beyond repair. I purchased the polisher to remove swirl marks from my Infinity but thought I would test it out on my BMW.

I probably have five or six hours into doing this hood but i am very happy with the results.

Now i have to do the entire car before i start on the Infinity. The Infinity is black and has many curved surfaces. I hope to have similar results on that car. Do the curved surfaces make polishing much more difficult?

Dave

UncleDavy
01-01-2018, 08:10 PM
As you can see in this first picture, the hood of my car was in terrible shape. I had it serviced at a small garage and it came back like this. They must have put stuff on my hood and dragged it around. I thought is was beyond repair. I purchased the polisher to remove swirl marks from my Infinity but thought I would test it out on my BMW.

I probably have five or six hours into doing this hood but i am very happy with the results.

Now i have to do the entire car before i start on the Infinity. The Infinity is black and has many curved surfaces. I hope to have similar results on that car. Do the curved surfaces make polishing much more difficult?

Dave

It looks great Dave. I am also a fan of Wolfgang Swirl Remover and Porter Cable 7424XP. I thought that my midnight blue truck was beyond help. A lot of work and the Wolfgang products made the surface swirl free and slick. I topped it off with the Deep Gloss Sealant. After a week of sub zero temperatures and a lot of road salt, the truck is still swirl free and slick.
The curved surfaces are a little more challenging. Just make sure that you use a 3-1/2" backing plate and pads.

https://scontent.fzty2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/25157968_10210197452874095_4142878303443382235_n.j pg?oh=c668174c4c187a60049c19a1e406134b&oe=5ABA6578

pilotpip
01-01-2018, 10:04 PM

Dave

Nice job! One of the nice things about the PC, is that it isn't very powerful. If you put even the slightest bit too much pressure on it, the pad stops. As a newbie it really makes me think about pad pressure and my approach. I have an explorer (tons of curves) and with 5.5" pads I have to pay attention to it but I would imagine that would be the case with any polisher. It stops a lot more than it does on my truck. I made the switch from CCS pads to Thin pros and that helped a ton. Orange/white pads and McKee's 360 are my spring cleaning tools of choice. If I'm lucky, I get 6 hours to do my whole vehicle.

I really thought about going all in with a Boss or another long throw, but I'm glad I didn't. The PC is very forgiving and I've learned a lot. When it's time to upgrade, I'll put a 3" backing plate on it to help with the curved surfaces.

dlc95
01-01-2018, 11:34 PM
Nice job! One of the nice things about the PC, is that it isn't very powerful. If you put even the slightest bit too much pressure on it, the pad stops. As a newbie it really makes me think about pad pressure and my approach. I have an explorer (tons of curves) and with 5.5" pads I have to pay attention to it but I would imagine that would be the case with any polisher. It stops a lot more than it does on my truck. I made the switch from CCS pads to Thin pros and that helped a ton. Orange/white pads and McKee's 360 are my spring cleaning tools of choice. If I'm lucky, I get 6 hours to do my whole vehicle.

I really thought about going all in with a Boss or another long throw, but I'm glad I didn't. The PC is very forgiving and I've learned a lot. When it's time to upgrade, I'll put a 3" backing plate on it to help with the curved surfaces.

Don't worry about that pad stall. With time, you can get that PC to dance on the paint. I've had it save my rear a bunch of times, but keeping that pad flat is integral to it's effectiveness.

I use a 1st gen too, which is even less powerful. If things get bad, I can slap on a Purple Thin Foamed Wool, or microfiber pad, and really do some chopping. I can even comfortably use sanding discs if needed, and remove them with that one tool. It's also very reliable, built like a tank.

If you ever get the chance, try some Lake Country Hydrotech pads with it. I consider them a treat to use.