PDA

View Full Version : First Time with Griots 6" Random Orbital

wrr1020
09-14-2017, 03:57 PM
Hello everyone, just registered here and i finally purchased the Griot's Garage 6" random orbital after only detailing by hand for several years. Soon i will be working on a friends car which is a black Nissan 370Z. There is some swirl marks as well some significant spider webbing in the paint. After prepping the surface with a wash and clay I plan on using Griots Fast Correcting Cream followed by Griots Perfecting Cream. I then plan on using Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant. Would this be a good combo of products to use? I have a bottle of Poorboys Black Hole Glaze as well that i have yet to try. Can i apply a glaze before or after the sealant if i even can? I have never used a glaze before but read good things about the PB Black Hole so i threw it in my cart when i ordered several items from Autogeek.

In regards to the BOSS creams. Is it worth having all four creams in my lineup? I've heard nothing but good things in regards to all four of them, i ordered the fast correcting cream as well as the perfecting cream, is the correcting cream and finishing sealant worth buying as well or will the two i have be good enough for most jobs?

Also, i will be taking delivery of a brand new BMW M2 in two weeks, depending on the condition of the paint, if it does not need to be polished would a coat of WG DGPS be sufficient enough protection for it or should i add anything else? Might be noob questions but like i mentioned i'm new to detailing with a machine as well as using good quality products like the BOSS creams and Wolfgang Paint Sealant. Any recommendations or comments would be appreciated, thanks!

Mike Phillips
09-14-2017, 05:54 PM
Welcome to AGO!

I've left for the day but will be happy to chime in tomorrow.

:)

Firehouse Mike
09-14-2017, 08:02 PM
Welcome! The BOSS line is excellent! You don't necessarily need the whole line up, I think with the Fast Correcting, followed by Perfecting Cream will get you good results. I'd top off with the BOSS Sealant as it does have some polishing ability in it and will only further perfect the paint and leave it with a good durable sealant too! Be sure to use plenty of pads and clean often (I do every panel and replace pads every 3-4 panels). Use Griots Red or Black pads for applying the sealant.

Good luck and share your results!!
Mike

Mike Phillips
09-15-2017, 08:26 AM
Hello everyone, just registered here and i finally purchased the Griot's Garage 6" random orbital after only detailing by hand for several years.

After you use it once or twice you're going to wish you had made the move to working by machine sooner. Glad to hear you've made the move...

Soon i will be working on a friends car which is a black Nissan 370Z. There is some swirl marks as well some significant spider webbing in the paint. After prepping the surface with a wash and clay I plan on using Griots Fast Correcting Cream followed by Griots Perfecting Cream.

I then plan on using Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant.

Would this be a good combo of products to use?

Yes.

Here's why I say yes.

The Griot's Perfecting Cream is technically a fine cut polish. In and of itself it does not leave behind any protection. So you should apply a dedicated protection product be it a wax or a sealant.

I have a bottle of Poorboys Black Hole Glaze as well that i have yet to try. Can i apply a glaze before or after the sealant if i even can? I have never used a glaze before but read good things about the PB Black Hole so i threw it in my cart when i ordered several items from Autogeek.

[quote]

The answer is "yes" you can apply a glaze before a sealant but in my opinion, after finishing the paint out with the Griot's Perfecting Cream you should keep it simple and apply ONE product over it if you want to "top" the Perfecting Cream.

So either apply the Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0 or apply the Poorboy's Black Hole.

I've been impressed with the Poorboy's Blackhole but to me it acts more like a true sealant than a traditional "glaze" in the true sense of the word glaze. (and yes, I have an article on this topic too)

[QUOTE=wrr1020;1527608]

In regards to the BOSS creams. Is it worth having all four creams in my lineup? I've heard nothing but good things in regards to all four of them, i ordered the fast correcting cream as well as the perfecting cream, is the correcting cream and finishing sealant worth buying as well or will the two i have be good enough for most jobs?

While I love to make sales for Autogeek at the same time I like to be honest too and while it's nice to have all 4 products you could easily get away with just 2 or 3, depends on what you're working on and the type of work you do.

If you're just working on your own cars then get the Fast Correcting Cream and the Finishing Sealant. If you're detailing for money, then get them all...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/watermark.php?file=95274

Also, i will be taking delivery of a brand new BMW M2 in two weeks, depending on the condition of the paint, if it does not need to be polished would a coat of WG DGPS be sufficient enough protection for it or should i add anything else?

Might be noob questions but like i mentioned i'm new to detailing with a machine as well as using good quality products like the BOSS creams and Wolfgang Paint Sealant.

Any recommendations or comments would be appreciated, thanks!

Great Noob questions!

If it were me and my brand new BMW I would DEFINITELY machine polish the paint and then seal it.

Even though the car is new, there are so many horror stories here on this forum about how bad the paint is on a new car. Dealerships have a bad reputation of destroying paint jobs while in their heads they think they're doing you a huge favor.

Here's the deal, my doing a LIGHT machine polish you will ENSURE there is NOTHING on the surface from the time the car was pooped out of the assembly line and arrived to your garage. You will either restore maximum gloss and clarity to the clearcoat or you will have simply perfectly prepared the paint for the application of the sealant. Both are win/win for you and the car's paint.

Also, I recently wrote an article directed directly at people like you. There's TONS of great information in this article for not only anyone just starting out but even people that have been machine buffing for years.

Here's the link,

Here's what you need to get into machine polishing - Recommendations for a beginner by Mike Phillips (http://tinyurl.com/y736nudd)

Watch the video and then check out the information resources listed in post #2

I'd also recommend asking all of the above questions you've asked here on ANY Facebook Group and then compare the information and help you received here to any help you receive on a FB group.

Mike Phillips
09-15-2017, 08:28 AM
Welcome to AGO!

I've left for the day but will be happy to chime in tomorrow.

And I've kept my word....

Also, here's my review of the Griot's BOSS System when it first came out...

Griot's Garage NEW BOSS Paint Polishing System (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/new-car-care-products/92251-griots-garage-new-boss-paint-polishing-system.html)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/watermark.php?file=95289

wrr1020
09-15-2017, 11:40 PM
Thank you both for your input? Mike, i appreciate the thorough responses and i will look into the links you provided. Thanks again!

Mike Phillips
09-16-2017, 06:34 AM
Thank you both for your input?

Mike, i appreciate the thorough responses and i will look into the links you provided.

Thanks again!

No problemo...