PDA

View Full Version : Shady detail

hvac77
09-14-2017, 03:48 PM
Dropped my car off to have dealership swirl marks removed and notice new scratches
I didn't pay the bill and don't trust the guy to fix it.
Need a legit place in ct https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170914/beb0f15cdbddc02b94605e5c28957de2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hvac77
09-14-2017, 03:51 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170914/d429b8cde3b5f8c3c45b90ced249d881.jpg
They are all over the car, dealership told me all cars have them

hvac77
09-14-2017, 03:52 PM
Subaru crystal black silica

Bruno Soares
09-14-2017, 06:40 PM
LOL, when I bought my wife's car the guy told me the same. Swirl marks are normal, they are a consequence of detailing the car. That's when I said please do not touch the car. I didn't even let them pull plastics or window sticker off. Because her car was in the showroom they had already wiped it many times so it was swirl fest. Thankfully it's soft Honda paint and Menzerna 3 in 1 made it perfect.

Justin at Final Inspection
09-14-2017, 06:46 PM
Sorry to hear about your bad experience. Although I'm not in Connecticut I'm in South Eastern Mass. Feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns. Good luck!

juvefan30
09-14-2017, 07:35 PM
Gotta love people who work at dealerships. Someone should tell the guy/gal that, for the most part, cars do not arrive from the factory with swirl marks on their paint.

It's the lot boys who go over the car with the same 'rag' they used to go over all the other cars in the lot causing the swirl marks.

VISITOR
09-14-2017, 07:45 PM
if you list your location, hopefully a fellow AG member can help you out...

ZiggyPopp
09-14-2017, 07:50 PM
I would hit that dealership on yelp. That first picture is horrible.

In defense of dealerships though, some kid making $10/hour is not going to give a #### about anyone's car so make sure when buying any new car to ask the dealer to skip the prep.

chet31
09-14-2017, 11:14 PM
Dealerships average 64 employees. Wouldn't you think that one, just one of them would Google "how to wash a car," and realize that washing a customer's BMW with the gigantic floor mop, which coincidentally has been sitting on the floor, is a bad idea? This is exactly what my dealership does BTW. Free car wash with every service! Gee, thanks guys.

P.S. I Googled average number of dealership employees just for this post, it's not that difficult.

dcjredline
09-15-2017, 12:06 AM
Dealerships average 64 employees. Wouldn't you think that one, just one of them would Google "how to wash a car," and realize that washing a customer's BMW with the gigantic floor mop, which coincidentally has been sitting on the floor, is a bad idea? This is exactly what my dealership does BTW. Free car wash with every service! Gee, thanks guys.

P.S. I Googled average number of dealership employees just for this post, it's not that difficult.
Just because an employee knows HOW to wash a car properly do you think the dealership is going to pay for 2 buckets, grit guards, proper wash media, good soap and then give them the time to change water out all the time? LOL You give dealers tooooo much credit. They use one bucket, a wash BRUSH on a stick IF NOT just a broom (Ive seen it!!) and the cheapest 5 gallons of car wash they can buy locally or better yet get delivered.

2011 302
09-15-2017, 07:05 AM
Gotta love people who work at dealerships. Someone should tell the guy/gal that, for the most part, cars do not arrive from the factory with swirl marks on their paint.

It's the lot boys who go over the car with the same 'rag' they used to go over all the other cars in the lot causing the swirl marks.I had quite a few rids on my new 16 focus rs straight from the factory,the dealer and I removed the plastic to inspect for damage upon arrival and they never washed it
The light scratches we're under the protective plastic

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Mike Phillips
09-15-2017, 07:52 AM
LOL, when I bought my wife's car the guy told me the same.

Swirl marks are normal, they are a consequence of detailing the car.

As a person that has made shop calls to dealerships, I've heard this all too often. Sad to say, most "Sales Persons" are not "Car Guys", at least on the appearance and detailing side, they are all about getting a person into the "cubical".

I do know that some Sales Persons at car dealerships ARE in fact appearance conscience but they are far removed from the guys that do the detailing work.

In defense of dealerships though, some kid making $10/hour is not going to give a #### about anyone's car so make sure when buying any new car to ask the dealer to skip the prep.

I have an article on the topic of,

In the defense of the kid making squat-per-hour

See link below...

Just because an employee knows HOW to wash a car properly do you think the dealership is going to pay for 2 buckets, grit guards, proper wash media, good soap and then give them the time to change water out all the time?

Agree.

Recently I was invited to a dealership to evaluate their situation. Their situation is impossible. That is, it is impossible for them to make their cars look good and more important, keep their cars looking good. They could actually make their cars look good but the dealership has a large dirt road behind them that the city won't pave. So every time a huge gust of wind comes by it covers the cars on the lot in dust/dirt. That is an impossible situation to overcome without,

A: Paving the dirt road.

B: Moving the location of the dealership.

C: Building a cover over the entire dealership.

I feel for the dealership. They want to do the right thing but their physical environment makes it impossible for all practical reasons.

LOL You give dealers tooooo much credit. They use one bucket, a wash BRUSH on a stick IF NOT just a broom (Ive seen it!!) and the cheapest 5 gallons of car wash they can buy locally or better yet get delivered.

Yep. And I have the pictures of the exact process and tools you describe above.

Here's the article I wrote back in August of 2010 that explains the problem with detailers at dealerships.

Note that I took EXTRA time to carefully write this to be politically correct because I seriously didn't want to and even today don't want to hurt anyone's feelings.

The story of 3 H's - Horrendous, Horror Story and Hack Detailers... (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/28142-story-3-h-s-horrendous-horror-story-hack-detailers.html)

Horrendous
Here's my definition of horrendous...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/742/Horrendous004.jpg

And yes, I fixed the paint on the above car when I did some beta testing of the Meguiar's Microfiber DA Correction System for Jason Rose before it went public.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/742/Horrendous008.jpg

Review: Meguiar’s DA Microfiber Polishing System - Hologram removal by Mike Phillips (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/32787-review-meguiar-s-da-microfiber-polishing-system-hologram-removal-mike-phillips.html)

Meguiar’s DA Microfiber Polishing System
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/722/DASystem02.jpg

:)

BudgetPlan1
09-15-2017, 08:10 AM
A Crystal Black Silica 2016 Subaru WRX is what got me wrapped up in this whole detailing 'thing'. Swirled from dealer, just looking at it the wrong way seemed to instill defects. Very tender paint.

When ya do get it sorted, I'd coat it with a ceramic coating...McKees Paint Coating would work well methinks...easy to work with. Gyeon Mohs is a nice choice as well. Bare Subaru paint is a swirl waiting to happen.