PDA

View Full Version : Polishing after market wheels

killrflake
01-14-2008, 07:08 PM
I have a set of RH R5 Pro wheels that have painted and clear coated spokes and a polished but unpainted rim. I really don't know if the rim is clear coated. What I'm trying to find out is does Racing Hart clearcoat the rims of their wheels and what product is best for shineing therims without making any damage. I've been using Wheel Wax on both the spokes and the rims but the wax does little to brighten up the rims. Any ideas are really welcome.

ScottB
01-14-2008, 07:17 PM
test a small spot inside the barrel and out of view with metal polish. If the rag shows oxidation (usually black) then its uncoated. Best bet is to contact the manufacturer and ask, usually quite open. Most painted centers are clearcoated too, some barrels are chrome and others are uncoated high polished aluminum.

even with painted wheels, a Mothers Powerball and a good paint polish can do wonders to them. Then seal with Wheel Wax or Poorboys or DP offerings.

killrflake
01-14-2008, 10:36 PM
test a small spot inside the barrel and out of view with metal polish. If the rag shows oxidation (usually black) then its uncoated. Best bet is to contact the manufacturer and ask, usually quite open. Most painted centers are clearcoated too, some barrels are chrome and others are uncoated high polished aluminum.

even with painted wheels, a Mothers Powerball and a good paint polish can do wonders to them. Then seal with Wheel Wax or Poorboys or DP offerings.
Thanks for the advise. The wheels are two piece and the spokes are alloy with silver paint and clearcoat and the rim sure looks like polished aluminum to me. They seem to get some minor marks on the rim that are hard to describe, almost like water marks. I've seen cars in gallery pics where the rims seem brilliant and polished. As you advised, I have tried to contact to manufacturer with out much luck but I'll continue to try. I'll also try the metal polish in a hidden spot to see what happens. Thanks for the imput.