PDA

View Full Version : newbie question

mcecere11
09-13-2017, 08:30 PM
Just not sure what i should use after my first application. So just got a new suburban and after washing/claying i put a coat of 4star Ultimate pant protection sealant and then topped it with collinite. It is about 6 or 7 weeks and i want to put another coat on. Do i need to use a polish to take of the old stuff or should i can i just go over it again with either sealant or wax?

TMQ
09-13-2017, 11:24 PM
You can go over again with sealant and/or wax.

Tom

mcecere11
09-14-2017, 06:53 AM
You can go over again with sealant and/or wax.

Tom
Thanks!

Desertnate
09-14-2017, 09:36 AM
Since you've already layered two highly durable sealants/waxes, another option might be to simply hit the vehicle with a spray wax or QD spray after your wash.

I'm not sure what you are trying to gain with another layer of an LSP, but if it's simply to boost the shine a bit a spray product is fast, easy, and will keep things looking fresh until your next wash. A spray product will be far easier and less time consuming.

TMQ
09-14-2017, 09:54 AM
Since you've already layered two highly durable sealants/waxes, another option might be to simply hit the vehicle with a spray wax or QD spray after your wash.

I'm not sure what you are trying to gain with another layer of an LSP, but if it's simply to boost the shine a bit a spray product is fast, easy, and will keep things looking fresh until your next wash. A spray product will be far easier and less time consuming.

Ditto what he said. That's what I do to my cars.

I use Megs Ultimate Quik Wax and also Optimum Car Wax. Both are good stuff. I polish in the spring---do deep sealant on paint and then hit with spray wax a few times over summer and just before winter sets in--one last final hit with spray wax. It's good enough to hold me over till spring.

Then do total decontamination and light buzz with polisher, and apply sealant and then start process all over again.

Cars looks like they came from the factory still!

It's not overwhelming, easy to do and fast to boot. These are my daily drivers.

Makes life is simple, easy and enjoyable as well!

Tom

mcecere11
09-14-2017, 10:43 AM
I just wasn't sure it would last through the winter so I was trying to make sure its good to go before the salt/winter get to it. I have used BFWD spray after washes but wasn't sure if that was good enough. Still looks and beads well but again just wanted to make sure it was protected for the winter.

can I also ask what you use after the winter for a polish? or a polish for paint that's not in terrible shape. I have a 4 year old Silverado that is my DD and have been using a similar process as I noted above but need to polish and seal before the winter. Paint is in good shape

I read your review(TMJ) on the sonax paint cleaner and am inclined to try it out but wasn't sure if it was the right product for my situation or if I should use more of a traditional polish. ami overthinking it? this forum is very helpful but also very overwhelming for me. I only have dd's and just want good looking/well protected vehicles. Also have too many hobbies( and 3 young kids) to spend a ton of time on the cars.

thanks for all your insight. very helpful!

TMQ
09-14-2017, 01:52 PM
I just wasn't sure it would last through the winter so I was trying to make sure its good to go before the salt/winter get to it. I have used BFWD spray after washes but wasn't sure if that was good enough. Still looks and beads well but again just wanted to make sure it was protected for the winter.

can I also ask what you use after the winter for a polish? or a polish for paint that's not in terrible shape. I have a 4 year old Silverado that is my DD and have been using a similar process as I noted above but need to polish and seal before the winter. Paint is in good shape

I read your review(TMJ) on the sonax paint cleaner and am inclined to try it out but wasn't sure if it was the right product for my situation or if I should use more of a traditional polish. ami overthinking it? this forum is very helpful but also very overwhelming for me. I only have dd's and just want good looking/well protected vehicles. Also have too many hobbies( and 3 young kids) to spend a ton of time on the cars.

thanks for all your insight. very helpful!

Very understandable! I was in same boat---overwhelmed, confused and very very anal! Took me couple of years of reading, getting confused and then read some more! Be patient---it'll all pull together at a later date.

From what I'm reading above---"Paint in good shape, you have hobbies plus 3 children?" You are the perfect candidate for AIO. Just focus on those and just those only. And you can top the AIO with hybrid sealant/wax if you need a bit more pop. I'll start with those.

There are other AIO's in addition to the Sonax. I loved the Sonax. Sonax is somewhat of a light cut but the gloss and and shine is out of this world. After a few washes---I added Optimum Wax and got a bit more gloss!

Let me try to find Mikes' article re: different levels of cut with AIO. And I'll get back to you...

Tom

TMQ
09-14-2017, 02:21 PM
On page 2, Post #20 written by Mike...

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/111917-sonax-paint-cleaner-bomb-2.html

Sonax - least cut
MKee's 360 - middle of road
HD Speed - more cut than the other 2

Hummm...you can go with either of the products and be good to go. Since I don't know level of correction needed, I would probably suggest picking the polish in middle of road (McKee's) and work from there...

And you're done!

After a couple of washes---go ahead and spray wax on top of AIO just to stretch things out further.

As for me---I have the complete Rupes system and since there's no AIO in the bunch---I used the Rupes P808 sealant as my base/protection after using compound and polish. After several months I've reapplied P808 and then tried the Optimum Wax---lo and behold, much more gloss than I thought possible! Currently that is my "go to" system.

Tom

mcecere11
09-14-2017, 03:21 PM
On page 2, Post #20 written by Mike...

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/111917-sonax-paint-cleaner-bomb-2.html

Sonax - least cut
MKee's 360 - middle of road
HD Speed - more cut than the other 2

Hummm...you can go with either of the products and be good to go. Since I don't know level of correction needed, I would probably suggest picking the polish in middle of road (McKee's) and work from there...

And you're done!

After a couple of washes---go ahead and spray wax on top of AIO just to stretch things out further.

As for me---I have the complete Rupes system and since there's no AIO in the bunch---I used the Rupes P808 sealant as my base/protection after using compound and polish. After several months I've reapplied P808 and then tried the Optimum Wax---lo and behold, much more gloss than I thought possible! Currently that is my "go to" system.

Tom

appreciate the feedback and advice. Will give it a shot and see how it goes!

TMQ
09-14-2017, 04:16 PM
Awesome---let us know how it turned out.

Tom

VETLAG72
09-14-2017, 06:21 PM
appreciate the feedback and advice. Will give it a shot and see how it goes!Great advice from TMQ. I actually have a bottle of Mckee's 360 up for "trade" that I opened last week. There's at least 15 Oz of the 16 Oz bottle left. It's a great product, I simply have 3 different AOI's on hand and won't use it all lol. Unfortunately now I may have to try the Sonax haha

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mcecere11
09-15-2017, 08:21 AM
Great advice from TMQ. I actually have a bottle of Mckee's 360 up for "trade" that I opened last week. There's at least 15 Oz of the 16 Oz bottle left. It's a great product, I simply have 3 different AOI's on hand and won't use it all lol. Unfortunately now I may have to try the Sonax haha

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

what does up for trade mean? haha I don't have much to trade but I think $ might work? I placed an order last night but would be willing to try it since I ordered the sonax. I'd like to do a side by side test and see whats what.