PDA

View Full Version : Tree Sap Removal when away from home

72fordgts
09-12-2017, 09:08 AM
I am away on business and I found some tree sap on my truck. I don't have my detailing products or a garden hose. What can I buy at a local store to clean off the sap before it damages the paint? There is a Canadian tire not far from where I am staying.

Any advice is appreciated.

BillyJack
09-12-2017, 09:37 AM
Just get some hand sanitizer. Put a dab on the sap, cover it up and walk away for a few minutes. Alcohol is obviously the active ingredient, but the gel consistency keeps it from evaporating quick, as well as adding some lubrication if you have to rub a bit.

Bill

TopBlissGT
09-12-2017, 09:42 AM
meguires ultimate quick detailer works great

ducksfan
09-12-2017, 10:10 AM
Alcohol on a MF. If you want to use hand sanitizer w/alcohol go ahead.

damaged442
09-12-2017, 11:25 AM
Rubbing alcohol (isopropyl) and some cotton balls have always worked for me.

minerigger
09-12-2017, 02:08 PM
I recently had to bust out acetone to get some sap that had been there years and was baked on. Tarminator didn't touch it so a microfiber and acetone it was...it worked but when done I rewashed the vehicle

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

LEDetailing
09-12-2017, 02:20 PM
Go to an auto parts store and buy a couple MF cloths and some Stoner Tarminator or equivalent paint safe product. Hand sanitizer works too. I've used hand sanitizer at work to remove fresh sap. I would also buy some quick detailer or window cleaner and remove the residue.

72fordgts
09-12-2017, 07:33 PM
Thank you for the help. The hand sanitizer and MF cloth worked great.

GSKR
09-12-2017, 10:59 PM
I am away on business and I found some tree sap on my truck. I don't have my detailing products or a garden hose. What can I buy at a local store to clean off the sap before it damages the paint? There is a Canadian tire not far from where I am staying.

Any advice is appreciated.

Lacquer thinner will remove that with 3 passes or less.

EyesofThunder
09-19-2018, 08:57 PM
I have some tree sap that I haven't taken off because I didn't know how. I have lacquer thinner, is it ok on fiberglass spoilers on the paint? I am concerned that it could hurt the fiberglass.

And some on glass, I was going to razer blade that but haven't yet, would prefer something not so harsh.

The car has 304k miles and has been outside almost exclusively the past 7 years.

sudsmobile
09-19-2018, 09:31 PM
The fiberglass has paint on it, right? Alcohol is fine, as is lacquer thinner, on a cotton ball or MF towel.

EyesofThunder
09-19-2018, 09:34 PM
I think the only alcohol I have is 99% (lab grade), is that safe or too much?

sudsmobile
09-19-2018, 09:41 PM
Alcohol is in many products you use on your car everyday including almost all surface preps. Just do use it full strength. And that's for any alcohol, not just 99%. Dilute it down to like 15-20% alcohol. And remember, don't rub. Soak. A little rubbing as possible. Alcohol is a very poor lubricant so you can cause damage to rubbing the paint hard when using it, but not from the alcohol, from the goo you're removing and the towel.