PDA

View Full Version : Topping/waxing mckees new paint coating?

fightnews
09-08-2017, 10:10 AM
Is it alright to wax over this coating like the first version?

Before everyone starts chiming in about not waxing a coating remember they have multiple hybrid carnuba/coating waxes on the market and they all look great. Obviously that proves the nay sayers wrong.

If synergy and centurion look so good then there is something to it. They are both hybrids. I would like to create the same look using the mckees coating and a high quality carnuba.

BudgetPlan1
09-08-2017, 10:55 AM
Nothing will explode but you'll likely lose the beneficial surface properties (hydrophobic effects) of the coating itself. I'd guess the hybrid waxes have something in the formulation that leaves the surface 'coating like' in its properties. I have a (same product collection as coatings) hybrid wax (53.7% high grade Carnauba Wax, and 39.2% Japanese glass coating) on top of my coated cars and it sheds water and stays clean like a coating, not a wax. I do top it with an SiO2 booster (again, same collection) per mfg instructions. Adds a nice, very subtle additional element to the overall look. So it's actually quite the sandwich of products (2 layers coating A, 1 layer coating B, 1 layer hybrid wax, topped with booster). Don't understand the chemistry but all together it looks deep, dark, kinda a 'relaxed high gloss' that is pleasing to *my* eye and still behaves like a coating.

TTQ B4U
09-08-2017, 11:14 AM
Is it alright to wax over this coating like the first version? Before everyone starts chiming in about not waxing a coating remember they have multiple hybrid carnuba/coating waxes on the market and they all look great. Obviously that proves the nay sayers wrong.

the push-back isn't so much about being compatible to the coating it's due to the fact that a big point of a coating in general is the benefit of the water and dirt/dust resistance they offer. If you top them with something you then limit yourself to the properties of that topper which isn't often if at all near as good.

that said, you should be fine topping it but I personally would wait a couple weeks or washes to do so.

FUNX650
09-08-2017, 12:22 PM
Is it alright to wax over this coating
like the first version?

IMO:
If you want to test McKee's 37 Paint
Coating's guarantee that it will keep
your vehicle cleaner than any other
wax, sealant, or coating available...
then go right ahead.

Before everyone starts chiming in about
not waxing a coating remember they have
multiple hybrid carnuba/coating waxes on
the market and they all look great.
Obviously that proves the nay sayers wrong.

Besides looks...Do they have any
other redeeming qualities that can
equal or exceed those of Coatings?

If synergy and centurion look so
good then there is something to it.
They are both hybrids.

I would like to create the same look
using the mckees coating and a high
quality carnuba.
I seriously doubt that'll happen.

[You're welcome to prove me
wrong; but I won't be holding