PDA

View Full Version : help with detailing interior carpets, upholstery etc...

bpbv66
09-08-2017, 03:45 AM
Hi guys, Just need some help here, what are the best products/tools to use to get hair/stains fabrics in the car? I have a hard time vacuuming pet hair for my gfs car. Any good online stores for purchasing detailing supplies taht can ship to canada? I also am looking for something to have the plastic trimmings look nice and black and new again. What kind of acid can I use for exterior of car as wel during a wash. Thank you!

GSKR
09-08-2017, 06:52 AM
There are no detailing supply vendors up there just out of curiosity. Everything you need is here at ag.Browse thru the meguairs professional line on here they make pretty much anything you need.

B5visser
09-08-2017, 08:47 AM
For expedited pet hair clean up I suggest a "speedy stone." You simply "rake" the pet hair up into a clump, vacuum it up and remove the excess hair from the stone using warm water. I always hate pet hair jobs as hair seems to get everywhere!

For "acid wash," I'd suggest getting a pH neutral product such as iron-X. This won't damage surrounding plastics like acid can. Acid is one of those products that in the wrong hands can do more harm than good imo.

For fabrics and all things interior (and some help on the exterior), look into a Tornador Black edition. Once you acquire this tool, you'll wonder how you did things apart from it for so long!

AG also carries many good, high quality brushes. Its just a matter of looking through their selections and picking a few that suit your needs.

Good luck!

bpbv66
09-11-2017, 02:54 AM
thanks so much. Is there a list of things I need to get my home business up and running here in canada? I have makita polisher, porter cable, I need a good exterior soap, acid ( i guess iron-X should do it?), interior all purpose cleaner, and what type of solvent or dewax do i need to wipe down the outside so it dries faster? we used a degreaser or solvent/label remover at audi when they taught me to detail.

Mantilgh
09-11-2017, 08:03 AM
I'm not sure if you're looking for something like this.

The $500 Mobile Detailing Startup - A Simple Walk Through:
https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-make-money-detailing-cars/64194-500-mobile-detailing-startup-simple-walk-through.html

For heavier interiors stains I like something like 3D Orange 88 Degreaser, for light cleaning I like just using McKees N-914 or Optimum No Rinse (ONR).

For pet hair a rubber gloved hand works pretty well, or a rubber block, or pumice stone.

For trim I think McKees Plastic Trim Restorer is nice and effective and reasonably priced.

I'm not sure I get what you are saying about the solvent/dewax for a quick dry.

Stoner Tarminator is good for tar and sticky stuff, I believe some may use lacquer thinner for a similar purpose.

Not many people use acid for the decon step anymore, probably because there's a chance of etching the paint.

Some do use acid wheel cleaners but be safe with them and don't let them dwell.

Audios S6
09-11-2017, 12:18 PM
I think we need to take a step back here and look at the process.

I get the impression you worked at Audi doing what would be considered production detailing. If that is what you plan to base your business on, then something like the meguiars professional line or another line of products local to you would be the best fit and would have products that should be very familiar to you.

If you are trying to start a premium detailing company, then I think you need to invest some additional time in understanding the unique steps and processes that are done. For example, premium detailing typically wouldn't use a solvent as a drying aid, that's working backwards within that mindset, they would use a quick detailer, spraywax or similar product.

Letting us know how you plan to operate will help us guide you to the right products or processes

bpbv66
05-28-2018, 01:48 AM
I think we need to take a step back here and look at the process.

I get the impression you worked at Audi doing what would be considered production detailing. If that is what you plan to base your business on, then something like the meguiars professional line or another line of products local to you would be the best fit and would have products that should be very familiar to you.

If you are trying to start a premium detailing company, then I think you need to invest some additional time in understanding the unique steps and processes that are done. For example, premium detailing typically wouldn't use a solvent as a drying aid, that's working backwards within that mindset, they would use a quick detailer, spraywax or similar product.

Letting us know how you plan to operate will help us guide you to the right products or processes

Totally forgot about this thread...Sorry for late replies.

Yes, at Audi I would typically do 4-8 cars a day by ourselves within a list of steps that were given. Now I know certain areas may be totally different from a "premium detailing" company. So, in that matter, I would love to learn the most effective and efficient way to run a private business like said.

For a Premium Detailing business, would you say the products used are much better than detailership quality and methods? I am still trying to learn how much time to take and the volume of work if I am the standalone operator and perhaps with my gf that is also interested in supporting me run the business.

I am trained in autobody and also detailing but detailing, I'd say I need more knowledge since we would be dealing more on the 1 on 1 side with the clients vehicle instead of dealership volume.

What is the best way to set up business and prices. There is one classic vehicle detail shop around my area and he charges just 80$ starting wash and vacuum, 200$ for wax, wash, interior wipe down and vacuum. and up to 300$ for polish added in. The clientele are all wealthy within this area.

Are there specific threads of starting a business I can read up on that you guys know of?