PDA

View Full Version : Relax when you polish

Pages : [1] 2 3

KirkH
09-06-2017, 01:40 PM
Have you ever noticed, when you are polishing, that you've got your jaw clenched? Or your tongue pressed up against the side of your mouth?

Or you have your core muscles engaged when they don't need to be? Or you are standing in a linebacker's stance like you are ready for the snap? Squatting instead of using a kneeling pad?

All that extra stress makes you tired and sore. I am trying to remember NOT to do all those things. Washing panels, wiping polish etc are isometric exercises, so we already get a lot of muscle exertion.

Do you try to do anything to relax when you are working?

fly07sti
09-06-2017, 01:46 PM
For me there are a few tools I use to help save my body, but most important is good music. It always calms me down.

atgonzales
09-06-2017, 01:47 PM
Kirk

You should be an exercise philologist for detailers. I use a wireless headset that has noise reduction feature while I listen to music...

VISITOR
09-06-2017, 02:05 PM
another thing is not to clinch/hold (death grip) onto the polisher too tight which will transfer all the vibration through your hands/arms...

suspal
09-06-2017, 02:12 PM
Most important that you're relaxed,let the tool do the work and be in tune with it.
You'll be surprised that the machine and pad will tell you when the pad needs cleaning or the compound needs working etc.
I find detailing to be therapeutic,when I get the chance(Not in the best of health) a chance to get away drom the daily wow's,try it it works and you'll be rewarded with better results.
For anybody who's suffering from the hands of this hurricane,my thoughts and prayers are with you guys,God bless you and keep you safe.

Suspal from England.

Bruno Soares
09-06-2017, 02:21 PM
I don't notice it much when I detail (because it's only twice a year for my personal cars) but I do notice jaw soreness after washing my car every week :(
I know it comes from being tense but I don't feel it while doing it, just after it's done and I go eat something. I might try chewing a piece of gum while washing the car next time to see if I can keep it more loose.

FUNX650
09-06-2017, 03:21 PM
A picture's worth a thousand words.

https://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/IMG_34462.JPG

Bob

Kamakaz1961
09-06-2017, 03:43 PM
I might be in the minority on this one, however, compounding, polishing, AIO and/or applying any LSP is actually a stress relief for me. I use the Flex 3401. I have ear plugs when I use it. For the LSP I use the PC7424XP and no need for ear plugs.

I do a little stretching before I tackle any job and I use a stool with wheels to tackle the sides of the vehicle. I am not clenching or really using too much strength to work on a ride. Sounds crazy, however, detailing makes me relax. The stool alone saves a lot of back issues. The ear plugs for the Flex (which is kind of loud at speed setting 5) help quite a bit. As for my grip, I don't have a strong grip or put too much pressure on the panels. Maybe 5 - 7 pounds max.

But this is me. I have other outside variables that are stressful and detailing tends to calm me down. But if there is any ONE good advise...GET A STOOL with wheels. That saves a lot of back strain.

I hope my stool advice would be good advice.

PaulMys
09-06-2017, 05:31 PM
Like Kamakaz hit on above, I'm always at ease when using my polisher. I love the process, and the fruits of the labor.

I'm always using bigger, heavier power tools for work, so having the polisher whirling away while I'm enjoying every second of bettering my prize possession is total relaxation for me. :)

dlc95
09-06-2017, 05:50 PM
I've caught myself a few times doing that.

Same with drumming. I have to remember to breathe, and the rest takes care of itself. For me it all falls apart when I start holding my breath.

KirkH
09-06-2017, 09:20 PM
A picture's worth a thousand words.

https://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/IMG_34462.JPG

Bob

I don't understand why you posted sex lube?!?!?

FUNX650
09-06-2017, 09:39 PM
I don't understand why you
posted sex lube?!?!?
No...You're the one saying that
coconut oil is a sex lube.

Wouldn't that be a competitor to
your posted location (KY)?

Bob

KirkH
09-06-2017, 09:57 PM
No...You're the one saying that
coconut oil is a sex lube.

Wouldn't that be a competitor to
your posted location (KY)?

Bob

Why do you think it is called KY Jelly? We put it on EVERYTHING down here!

FUNX650
09-06-2017, 10:34 PM
Why do you think it is called KY Jelly?
We put it on EVERYTHING down here!
That's why it's known as:
"The VRT" of the Commonwealth. :xyxthumbs:

Bob

JKDesign
09-07-2017, 09:25 AM
As others have stated- compounding and polishing is a relaxing activity for me- especially when I am in the shop at night with no one else around- just you, the machine, and the car.