PDA

View Full Version : How to remove painted on pin stripping?

bcgreen
09-06-2017, 12:45 PM
My buddy has a Fiat 500 with painted on pin stripping that he doesn't like. We are not sure how to safely remove them.
Thanks

dcjredline
09-06-2017, 03:25 PM
Problem with painted on pinstripes (if you are one who doesn't like them) is that they are MUCH more permanent than tape. Probably not an easy/inexpensive way to remove them. It will be like removing just the clear coat from the car or just the base coat and not the primer under it. Would take a very skilled person to not make a mess.

Ancient1
09-06-2017, 05:16 PM
Years ago we had our company name painted on our trucks and was told that oven cleaner would work to remove. A couple months ago I bought a truck for my son to use and it had painted on stripe that I removed with oven cleaner except for the right rear which had been repainted and the stripe had been cleared(it was the last area I did). Here is a pic I took of the truck that shows the stripe and where it was removed.

GSKR
09-06-2017, 09:45 PM
My buddy has a Fiat 500 with painted on pin stripping that he doesn't like. We are not sure how to safely remove them.
Thanks

Lacquer thinner.

GSKR
09-06-2017, 09:46 PM
Or undiluted apc and a eraser sponge.

FishyX
09-08-2017, 07:20 PM
Lacquer thinner.

My 2011 Ford Edge came with really ugly painted on pinstripes and Lacquer thinner was the only thing that worked to remove them. Took some time to rub them off with a soaked rag but it didn't do any damage at all to the factory clear coat. Oven cleaner had zero effect on these pinstripes.

GSKR
09-09-2017, 08:07 AM
Oven cleaner I would never put on clear coat.I've done some crazy off the wall problematic with different chemicals but ovencleaner no.Its activated by heat.