PDA

View Full Version : Flex kompakt3 Speed Settings

asap2stacks
09-06-2017, 09:44 AM
Alright I have had hundreds of hours on my flex PE8 and never really go past Speed 3 because as most of us know smaller bp/pad = faster heat build up which can lead to removing more Clear or paint then wanted. Anyway my question is, is there anyone out there that's pretty much where I am at with my flex PE8 ? Really I tend to stay at 1-2 setting but depending on what he ptg says sometimes 3 is needed... was just wondering why even put 6 settings on this machine lol

CCCoating

JustJesus
09-06-2017, 11:13 AM
I think 3 is about the max I've ever taken mine. Speed 2 is where I spend most of the time on it.

formula guy
09-06-2017, 11:44 AM
Your speed 2 to 3 is where at most of the time maybe because it's a direct drive.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

ducksfan
09-06-2017, 12:13 PM
I think I've used a higher speed correcting headlights. But, don't remember if it worked or if it would be necessary.

I rarely use anything but speed 1.

I'll try using speed 2 more.

Justin at Final Inspection
09-06-2017, 01:43 PM
Same here. speed 2 is usually where I am at.

asap2stacks
09-06-2017, 02:43 PM
I think 3 is about the max I've ever taken mine. Speed 2 is where I spend most of the time on it.

Yea basically where I'm always at when I break out the machine, was just wondering why even make other speeds lol seems like a over kill.

CCCoating

sweatthedetails
09-10-2017, 10:18 PM
Alright I have had hundreds of hours on my flex PE8 and never really go past Speed 3 because as most of us know smaller bp/pad = faster heat build up which can lead to removing more Clear or paint then wanted. Anyway my question is, is there anyone out there that's pretty much where I am at with my flex PE8 ? Really I tend to stay at 1-2 setting but depending on what he ptg says sometimes 3 is needed... was just wondering why even put 6 settings on this machine lol

CCCoating

I think you may have this reversed. Wouldn't a bigger pad build heat faster. The outside edge would be moving at a much faster rate then the inside. So if you spinning a 3 inch pad at the same speed as an 8 inch the outside of the 8 inch will be moving at a higher rate.
Maybe I'm wrong?

kkritsilas
09-10-2017, 11:37 PM
A bigger pad will generate more heat. To get a rule of thumb estimate, just think about the edge speed of the pads. A 5.5" pad running at 2000 rpm/opm is going to generate more heat than a 3" pad running at 2000 rpm/opm, just because with each revolution/orbit, the pad goes a longer distance (all this assume the same pad meterial is used for comparison). Other aspects, like how much heat the bigger pad will retain vs. the smaller pad is left out, to simplify things. The other thing that is left out is the difference between a rotary (the PE8) vs the DA (take your pick). one of the reasons that the DA is less of a dnager is because it does spread the heat generation over a wider area. whereas the rotary generates heat in just the area under the pad. This just means that you cannot allow the rotary to stop moving, or you risk burn through. If you keep it moving If so, the risk of burn through, and holograms is reduced.

If you are talking rotary (PE8) vs. rotary (PE14-2, Makita 0227/0237, Dewalt 849X), then the speeds are directly related to the diameter of the pad. If your maximum 'safe" speed of the full sized polisher is say 1500 rpm with a 6" pad, then the maximum safe speed with a 3" pad should be 3000 rpm.

Again, this is rule of thumb. The mathematical, truly accurate way is to use areas of the pads, not outer cirumference. sot the actual ratio is r^2 vs. r^2 (so it is 3(radius of the theoretical 6" pad)^3 vs. 1.5 (radius of the theoretical 5" pad)), or 9 vs. 2.25, or 4 times faster that you can operate the 3" pad vs. the 6" pad. The other thing to keep in mind is that the 3" pad needs to spin faster, as it will not cut as well if operated at the same speed as the 6" pad. This goes a long way towards explaining the mini,m 1100 rpm speed of the PE8.

Mike@ShineStruck
09-11-2017, 04:50 AM
I've been at speed 4.5 with window polishing
Did speed 4 on a test spot
Mainly at 2.5

osiapstndp
09-11-2017, 10:21 PM
Most of my use is at speed one to two. On headlights I'll bump it up to three if needed, but I've ruined wool pads at that speed. I don't leave home without it and about 25 pads of various material, density and size. I love using it with one-inch pads.

Last summer I tried to get my wife to help me with pad cleaning duty. She had a hard time with 5.5-inch pads but the little Flex and Lake Country pads were a lot easier to work with her hands. Now I chuckle when cleaning small pads because it takes so little time and effort. :)

kkritsilas
09-11-2017, 11:43 PM
Sort of related, but a question for those who own a PE8. How does it cut at speeds of 1-2-3-etc. with the 3", and 1" pads. I don't own a PE8, but I am considering getting one, so I would like to know how well it corrects with its recommended pad sizes. Seems like it must be working well even with the lower speeds that are being reported, but the math suggests that higher speeds would be acceptable, and would correct better/faster.

osiapstndp
09-12-2017, 12:00 AM
Sort of related, but a question for those who own a PE8. How does it cut at speeds of 1-2-3-etc. with the 3", and 1" pads. I don't own a PE8, but I am considering getting one, so I would like to know how well it corrects with its recommended pad sizes. Seems like it must be working well even with the lower speeds that are being reported, but the math suggests that higher speeds would be acceptable, and would correct better/faster.
The tool runs at high RPM even at speed one. Below is the RPM range that I just copied from Autopia.

1 - 1300
2 - 1600
3 - 2100
4 - 2800
5 - 3400
6 - 3900

I read somewhere that the high speed at which the machine spins has to do with air circulation and heat dissipation - a lot of heat is generated by the small machine and so to increase its lifespan it has to push a lot of air. I don't recall where I read this but I had a similar concern before buying the Flex.

When using such a small pad, especially with a gear-driven machine, not a lot of speed is needed to level clear coat and so even at speed one, depending on the hardness and condition of the surface, correction is possible if the proper pad and abrasive is used. For example, I have experienced quicker correction with a one-inch pad at speed one than I did with a three-inch pad of the same density and coarseness. This has to do, in part, with surface area.

DBAILEY
09-12-2017, 04:23 AM
Only use speeds above 3 with the 1 or 2' pads. Rarely go over 3 with 3" or 4" pads.