PDA

View Full Version : Ceramic coating and vinyl stripes

AZFord
09-05-2017, 05:50 PM
Hey Guys/Gals,

My new car(black) has matte vinyl stripes from from front to back. If I put something like CQuartz on the painted surfaces and take the stripes off at a later time, will I end up with discoloration between the two areas?

Thanks,
Chris

GSKR
09-05-2017, 06:31 PM
Regardless of what you do you may get ghosting. In going thru this problem now with a camaro I bought.Those stripes are a pain in the but to keep looking new.I have black Avery textured stripes on the hood roof and trunk.The roof stripes have to come off etched water spots.Actually have cq110 on the stripe itself.will be removing as soon as I get a confirmation that the graphic guy can get it.

yakky
09-05-2017, 06:42 PM
The stripes will cause more discoloration than the coating. It's like comparing mild sunblock to a shirt.

Crispy
09-05-2017, 07:44 PM
I had shiny black stripes on the hood, roof and trunk.
They were about 8 inches wide and two side by side.
I tried Ceramic Coatings, Sealants and Waxes.
Nothing seemed to work for very long and correction polishing could not really restore defects.
Decided to have them painted on with single stage paint.
Never looked back.
Hood is a constant battle on a daily drver but the roof and trunk are perfect.

GSKR
09-05-2017, 08:31 PM
I thought of that my friend who owns a body shop said no because of the scuffing prep would look like crap.Tried solution finish no go it just sits on top and takes 4 days to dry and only last for a month.The hood and trunk I apply endurance gel to them to keep them fed with silicone. Then I wash off when I wash car .Its been working out good so far.

CarolinasFinestDetailing
09-05-2017, 08:40 PM
You can absolutely apply CQuartz Classic over matte stripes. It slightly enhances them and protects them. Just ensure that you prep them properly and level the coating properly. You don't want to have to polish down high spots on them.