PDA

View Full Version : Dry eraser markers

Pages : [1] 2

Richs66
09-05-2017, 05:46 PM
Just wondering if these markers could be used to circle some defects in my paint.............car is a 2017 with some minor paint issues, I told the body shop that I would mark them, seeing they said we only see 3-4 defects.........starting to wonder about that since they were looking into white paint with the sun shining.........almost impossible to see anything in that light.

These markers say washable to clothes and your hands...........im guessing it really doesn't matter what I use to mark, seeing there gonna wet sand & buff the defects............that's if there in the clear, if in paint, they said they will re-spray.

So do you guys see any reason I shouldn't use these markers............I was thinking of using a crayon, rubbing that thing on paint looks like it would do more damage then these markers.

Thanks

Rich

EngineerNate
09-05-2017, 05:52 PM
Don't they make grease type crayons just for this purpose?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

FUNX650
09-05-2017, 06:20 PM
"Autowriter Markers" FTW!

Bob

GSKR
09-05-2017, 07:44 PM
Just wondering if these markers could be used to circle some defects in my paint.............car is a 2017 with some minor paint issues, I told the body shop that I would mark them, seeing they said we only see 3-4 defects.........starting to wonder about that since they were looking into white paint with the sun shining.........almost impossible to see anything in that light.

These markers say washable to clothes and your hands...........im guessing it really doesn't matter what I use to mark, seeing there gonna wet sand & buff the defects............that's if there in the clear, if in paint, they said they will re-spray.

So do you guys see any reason I shouldn't use these markers............I was thinking of using a crayon, rubbing that thing on paint looks like it would do more damage then these markers.

Thanks

Rich

Stickers.I've used a Sharpie on a 87 white iron for the same reason,it soaked right thru the clear.This was 17 years ago .

GSKR
09-05-2017, 07:45 PM
Meant white iroc.

Richs66
09-05-2017, 07:53 PM
Stickers.I've used a Sharpie on a 87 white iron for the same reason,it soaked right thru the clear.This was 17 years ago .

I see these markers are not getting any rave reviews, was thinking of the sticker deal, just have to get all the wax off the hood, was worried driving to the dealer the stickers would be flying off.

I'm thinking of trying the crayon deal and see how that works out.

Crispy
09-05-2017, 07:54 PM
A grease pencil would be the best bet.
You can get different colours from a hobby or art supply store.
I have white as my car is dark brown.
Use it all the time when I'm correcting my hood (daily driver).

dcjredline
09-05-2017, 07:56 PM
I would use pieces of masking tape personally. Never a marker or anything not made for paint.

GSKR
09-05-2017, 08:23 PM
I would use pieces of masking tape personally. Never a marker or anything not made for paint.

That will work .

GSKR
09-05-2017, 08:24 PM
Or little star stickers at Walmart.

Route246
09-05-2017, 08:33 PM
Dont' do it!!! They are dry erase but only on dry erase surfaces and only on dry erase surfaces that have not been burnished or glazed. They can stain through the CC and you will never get the pigment out of the paint. They use a silicone polymer that can stain a slightly porous surface.

Richs66
09-05-2017, 08:38 PM
Or little star stickers at Walmart.

Guess I'm going with the stickers or tape, just got to get that 10 coats of wax i threw on off. LOL

Thanks guys

Rich

Almost forgot, one of the guys at the shop said DO NOT use a grease pencil..........didn"t say why though.

GSKR
09-05-2017, 09:20 PM
Dont' do it!!! They are dry erase but only on dry erase surfaces and only on dry erase surfaces that have not been burnished or glazed. They can stain through the CC and you will never get the pigment out of the paint. They use a silicone polymer that can stain a slightly porous surface.

Good info.

GSKR
09-05-2017, 09:22 PM
Even with wax stickers will stick.Installing lettering on a truck or car with wax won't adhere.

ducksfan
09-05-2017, 09:55 PM
The masking tape for automotive paint.