PDA

View Full Version : Sitting for years

RookT
09-05-2017, 11:25 AM
New to the Forum.... Just recently received my Dads 2005 1500 Pick up after he passed away and it has probably never been washed let alone waxed. It has some clear coat issues and some pretty deep scratches but I want to keep it. Would like some advice on bringing back as best I can. I am not a detailer, just a regular Joe / DYI'er. Should I start with a compound? What kind? Any advice is much appreciated!!

eff
09-05-2017, 11:58 AM
Sorry to hear about your dad...

As for the truck, it's really up to you as to how far you are willing to go with it. I would start with a decontamination wash. You'll probably need something like Iron-X to spray on it. Wash it, clay it, and then compound and polish as needed.

I like using Meguiars Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish, but there are almost limitless compounds and polishes to pick from.

Once you get it up to your standards, then seal it in with a good wax or sealant. Again, there are tons of options for products. I like Ultima Paint Guard Plus because it is so easy to wipe on and gives good durability. For something you can usually find at your local auto parts store- check out Meguiars Fast Finish in an aerosol can.

Let us know if you run into specific issues.

RookT
09-05-2017, 12:40 PM
Thanks, appreciate the help!

briarpatch
09-05-2017, 01:59 PM
Megs Ultimate Polish and Ultimate compound will probably handle almost anything you throw at it. Some pics of the condition of the paint would be very helpful

DaveT435
09-05-2017, 03:19 PM
Are you going to be working by hand or machine?

TTQ B4U
09-05-2017, 04:15 PM
May not be what you wanted but I personally would recommend you connect with an AG Local to see if you can work out a deal for them to perfect it for you so that going forward you only have to maintain it and think of Dad. May just be the best few bucks you'll spend on it.