PDA

View Full Version : Finishing the job after outside overnight

howardm4
09-05-2017, 09:53 AM
I spent yesterday polishing (Menz 2500, LC Orange, GG6 & GG3 and finished w/ Powerlock+) a pearl white Infiniti.

The car had to spend the night outside during the cure and today I'd like to top it w/ Collinite 845 or 476.

What quick way would you do to get the finish back to dust and bug free? Would prefer not to wash it again.

I have Griots Speed Shine and SprayOn Car Wash available. I'm a bit concerned that the SS will leave a too slick layer
for the Collinite.

LSNAutoDetailing
09-05-2017, 09:57 AM
Your best bet is a waterless wash... High in lubricity (higher than QD's).

KirkH
09-05-2017, 10:00 AM
I spent yesterday polishing (Menz 2500, LC Orange, GG6 & GG3 and finished w/ Powerlock+) a pearl white Infiniti.

The car had to spend the night outside during the cure and today I'd like to top it w/ Collinite 845 or 476.

What quick way would you do to get the finish back to dust and bug free? Would prefer not to wash it again.

I have Griots Speed Shine and SprayOn Car Wash available. I'm a bit concerned that the SS will leave a too slick layer
for the Collinite.

After all that work, don't mess it up. Just wash it again if you are concerned.

Eldorado2k
09-05-2017, 01:34 PM
Leave it alone.

mwoolfso
09-05-2017, 01:44 PM
If you are dead set on 845 then inspect the paint and consider Waterless or QD. Generally speaking with a white car I would say QD.

FUNX650
09-05-2017, 05:58 PM
What quick way would you do to get
the finish back to dust and bug free?
Would prefer not to wash it again.

I have Griots Speed Shine and SprayOn
Car Wash available. I'm a bit concerned
that the SS will leave a too slick layer
for the Collinite.
This is where products like Meguiar's D114
and McKee's 37 N-914 come in handy, IMO.

Bob

Mantilgh
09-05-2017, 06:40 PM
Griots Spray-On Car Wash seems like it would be an ok product to use for this situation.

It doesn't seem mention any protection or glossing agents.

Dredogol
09-05-2017, 06:44 PM
If it was in the garage and you're really afraid of "dust" I would have said QD.

Depending on how dusty it is outside and/or rain... I would say Waterless if you're really worried QD wont' cut it.
Just make sure the waterless doesn't have "wax" in it.

AZpolisher15
09-06-2017, 01:24 AM
They say Speed shine leaves nothing behind, but I'm convinced it's leaving something that could affect another LSP over the top of it. At least to a degree. It amps up the shine and lasts for a bit? Yeah, it's leaving something behind. How that would affect collinite, in your case? Probably not a lot. But maybe a little.

MattPersman
09-06-2017, 05:19 AM
I don't really think having a super sterile surface is needed for collonite

I wouldn't worry about it. Or I would top after next wash if your heart is set on tipping power lock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

howardm4
09-06-2017, 06:34 AM
Everyone, thanks for the input.

It's not about 'sterile' but more about bug excrement, pollen and other things that get on the car overnight that affect a prep'd surface.

Anyway, I ended up using GG SprayOn Car Wash for a morning wipedown followed by Collinite 476S by hand except for ½ the hood which is PowerLock only. Hand buffed to remove the wax and then a light power buffing (DA & MF bonnet over wool pad) for a 'bit more' which really did tighten up the shine.

Why? Just to get some product experience and see for myself. I already had all the products so why not? :D

Quite pleased w/ the outcome (wife says the car is glowing (metallic flake pearl white)) and ready for winter!

Desertnate
09-06-2017, 07:35 AM
Leave it alone.

This would be my vote. The car already has a good LSP on it.

If for some reason you're dead set on applying yet another LSP, I'd simply wash the car to ensure there isn't any dust/pollen on the surface and then apply the 845.