PDA

View Full Version : Some wheel cleaner info...

Pages : [1] 2

RippyD
09-03-2017, 04:30 PM
I have compiled some wheel cleaner info (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WKPef67wKartWPgi-2d6YD9X62CmFi9ijBmAnvW0wpE/edit?usp=sharing) into a Google sheet over the past few weeks and wanted to share it. Not an exhaustive list and I'll gladly add to it as requested. I didn't do a lot of searching for MSDS sheets - the ones linked were easy to find. A lot of good info here and on Autopia about wheel cleaners. I wanted a summary for myself. Added pH since some people seem to be concerned about it. I called out hydrofluoric acid and ammonium biflouride where I'm aware of it. If you're using of of these do yourself a favor and do 10 minutes of research.

Thanks to Bob (FUNX650 (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/members/funx650.html)) for making me aware of the hydrogen fluoride hazard in some wheels cleaners. HD 3D, Stoners, and Dodo also do a particularly good job of making SDS sheets available. Some others do so to a lesser degree. Some appear to not share them.

I can make edits as requested or will give you guys edit access if requested. Opening this up to public editing is asking for vandalism and worse.

DogRescuer
09-03-2017, 04:56 PM
So where is it?

RippyD
09-03-2017, 04:58 PM
The highlighted text that says "wheel cleaner info" is a link. Or here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WKPef67wKartWPgi-2d6YD9X62CmFi9ijBmAnvW0wpE/edit#gid=1455362097

LEDetailing
09-03-2017, 06:18 PM
Cool info. Thanks for compiling and sharing.

Good to know my D143 is the most cost effective wheel cleaner. Definitely not the best, but it works.

Sizzle Chest
09-03-2017, 08:07 PM
Thanks for taking the time to gather this data, put it into a good format and share it with us. Much appreciated!

cay7man
09-03-2017, 08:11 PM
What level of ph is good?

tony58
09-03-2017, 08:44 PM
Thanks for your info and work.

LEDetailing
09-03-2017, 08:46 PM

7 is neutral, or equivalent to water. 1=very acidic, 14=highest base

RippyD
09-03-2017, 09:06 PM
For me there is no good or bad level. I included pH because so many people seem to want "non acid" wheel cleaners. I would probably question a wheel cleaner with a pH below 1.2 or above 13. I'm not sure this is reasonable, just my uninformed reaction.

Consider that lemon juice has a pH of about 2.0. Also consider that most acids and bases can exist at a range of pH levels. A very strong and toxic acid could exist at the same pH as lemon juice. So the pH alone doesn't tell you much.

Drinking a glass of lemon juice at pH 2.0? No problem. Drinking a glass of sulfuric acid at a pH of 2.0? Not so good. I could keep going here but I'll quickly exhaust my knowledge and expose myself as an idiot. Hoping somebody with a firmer grasp of chemistry will help me out.

EDIT: I'll see if I can find a pH curve for a strong acid by concentration (pH change with concentration) and post it. It will tell the story much better, and is cool to see b/c it's kind of counter-intuitive.

cay7man
09-03-2017, 09:57 PM
Looks like I'm going to try Nextzett ColorTec. Has iron remover, reasonable ph (!?!) and not expensive...

RippyD
09-03-2017, 10:14 PM
Looks like I'm going to try Nextzett ColorTec. Has iron remover, reasonable ph (!?!) and not expensive...
I have a fair amount of DG to use up. Really want to try Nextzett and 3D BDX.

DogRescuer
09-04-2017, 05:01 AM
Oh I'm slow, got it.

The highlighted text that says "wheel cleaner info" is a link. Or here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WKPef67wKartWPgi-2d6YD9X62CmFi9ijBmAnvW0wpE/edit#gid=1455362097

VETLAG72
09-04-2017, 07:08 AM
For me there is no good or bad level. I included pH because so many people seem to want "non acid" wheel cleaners. I would probably question a wheel cleaner with a pH below 1.2 or above 13. I'm not sure this is reasonable, just my uninformed reaction.

Consider that lemon juice has a pH of about 2.0. Also consider that most acids and bases can exist at a range of pH levels. A very strong and toxic acid could exist at the same pH as lemon juice. So the pH alone doesn't tell you much.

Drinking a glass of lemon juice at pH 2.0? No problem. Drinking a glass of sulfuric acid at a pH of 2.0? Not so good. I could keep going here but I'll quickly exhaust my knowledge and expose myself as an idiot. Hoping somebody with a firmer grasp of chemistry will help me out.

EDIT: I'll see if I can find a pH curve for a strong acid by concentration (pH change with concentration) and post it. It will tell the story much better, and is cool to see b/c it's kind of counter-intuitive.
Thanks for compiling this list, it's very informative!

As for the ph level, it's actually very important and is depending on how you use the it. Lemon juice is safe to drink because our bodies will neutralize it, but if left to sit on an unprotected surface long enough it would etch the surface. Also, if you drink too much lemon juice, your stomach will surely let you know lol. The thing to remember is that a lot of times the "cheaper" wheel cleaners with low ph are using the cheapest harsh acid that they can buy in bulk. The acid quickly eats away any mineral deposits, and leave a great shine. They can work great, but the problem comes when we don't follow the directions - leaving it on too long can be detrimental to your finish. Many think if you leave it on longer, it will clean even better! We are our own worst enemies lol. That's why many prefer the "safer" wheel cleaners. Personally, I use Griot's wheel cleaner. It works great! I know there are many out there just as good or better, but I like it :)

Sent from Autogeek Mobile

Bruno Soares
09-04-2017, 07:16 AM
Interesting it says Wolfgang Uber Wheel Cleaner doesn't have iron remover. That's what I use. Not only does it have a stink similar to any iron remover, the brake dust turns pink/purple just like when I use Iron-X. I'm pretty sure it also claims to be safe on any type of wheels.

TTQ B4U
09-04-2017, 08:35 AM
Personally, I use Griot's wheel cleaner. It works great! I know there are many out there just as good or better, but I like it :)

Sent from Autogeek Mobile

^^ Came here with this in mind. Griot's Heavy Duty Wheel Cleaner is what I use on all types of wheels. Works extremely well. Nothing negates the need for a brush of course, but this product makes short order of brake dust, ferrous deposits and wheel dressings. I buy it by the Gal for like $50 or when there are promo's and I'm near empty.