PDA

View Full Version : McKee's Coating - 1 year later...

Pages : [1] 2

TTQ B4U
09-02-2017, 05:59 PM
So my wife's van is coming up on 1yr of being coated as of mid month. She's 2 weeks dirty and sitting in the rain as I work in the garage, but IMO the water is beading nicely given it's not clean. McKee's original formula is holding up well. Can't wait to re-do her with the new stuff.

Thanks for looking!

http://www.pbase.com/timothylauro/image/166128485/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/timothylauro/image/166128484/original.jpg

QuietCropDuster
09-02-2017, 06:14 PM
Mine needs done soon again by u, guarantee it should only be like 25% as hard as last time. It's free this time right? ;-)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Cruzscarwash
09-02-2017, 06:28 PM
Nice man, i was only able to get 9 months on the old formula in the desert but I have a new formula bottle that can in a few wks ago

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

ronkh57
09-02-2017, 06:45 PM
Why re-do it?

It looks good from here, and still doing what it's supposed to.

TTQ B4U
09-02-2017, 06:45 PM
Nice man, i was only able to get 9 months on the old formula in the desert but I have a new formula bottle that can in a few wks ago

I used the new formula on several panels of my S4 with the rest of them being coated with Cquartz. Should be an interesting comparison.

TTQ B4U
09-02-2017, 06:48 PM
Why re-do it?

It looks good from here, and still doing what it's supposed to.

I know, I know......but Ohio = lots of road grime and what not, especially given this beast see's everything from sitting under trees (blame the driver) to mud and muck from the horse farm. I know it's a daily urban assault vehicle powered by the wife but I want to decontaminate it and give it a quick polish to prep her for the upcoming weather. Good news is the clean up and re-do should be quick as there's not much if any marring or RIDS.

Cruzscarwash
09-02-2017, 06:50 PM
I used the new formula on several panels of my S4 with the rest of them being coated with Cquartz. Should be an interesting comparison.Nice!! Looking forward to see how they compare

ronkh57
09-02-2017, 07:03 PM
I know, I know......but Ohio = lots of road grime and what not, especially given this beast see's everything from sitting under trees (blame the driver) to mud and muck from the horse farm. I know it's a daily urban assault vehicle powered by the wife but I want to decontaminate it and give it a quick polish to prep her for the upcoming weather. Good news is the clean up and re-do should be quick as there's not much if any marring or RIDS.

Wonder if you could just do a full decon and coat over the coating ?!?!?!?! From the sounds of it, it could be prime candidate.

Mike Phillips
09-02-2017, 07:03 PM
Machine polish just the hood using a white foam pad and a white polish.

After washing and drying of course.

:)

TTQ B4U
09-02-2017, 08:30 PM
Wonder if you could just do a full decon and coat over the coating ?!?!?!?! From the sounds of it, it could be prime candidate.

Machine polish just the hood using a white foam pad and a white polish.

After washing and drying of course.

I may just do this at first to see how she fairs. Overall though, once clean and ready for a buffer I see just a few hours of work but it's relaxing "work" to me. :)

Loach
09-02-2017, 09:14 PM
That's great beading after a year. Mine was destroyed after a few months but we did get hit by hard water spotting from the sprinklers. EXO and CQuartz UK has held up brilliantly on that same side of the paint on the test car even against the hard water, but the newest SiO2 enhanced version definitely looks promising.

Cruzscarwash
09-02-2017, 09:18 PM
That's great beading after a year. Mine was destroyed after a few months but we did get hit by hard water spotting from the sprinklers. EXO and CQuartz UK has held up brilliantly on that same side of the paint on the test car even against the hard water, but the newest SiO2 enhanced version definitely looks promising.Tell me more a out this spoting?? Do they just wipe off when u wash??

Loach
09-02-2017, 09:27 PM
The visual spotting washed away pretty easily during the next wash, it was on the paint for around 3-4 days before I got to it, but the negative impact on the hydrophobic nature of the coating was much more apparent with McKee's compared to EXO which I had right next to it.

Cruzscarwash
09-02-2017, 09:31 PM
The visual spotting washed away pretty easily during the next wash, it was on the paint for around 3-4 days before I got to it, but the negative impact on the hydrophobic nature of the coating was much more apparent with McKee's compared to EXO which I had right next to it.I haven't found a coating that lasted more then 24 hrs after spoting without some sort of acid bath room remove the spots

McKees
Cquartz
Dr beasly
Gyeon cancoat

The Guz
09-03-2017, 01:25 AM
Nice update. A decon wash may be all you need to do. Any toppers used?