PDA

View Full Version : Help!! Hazy streaks after claying

spindoc
01-13-2008, 10:05 AM
After I finished claying my car yesterday there were a bunch of hazy streaks in the clearcoat; when I tried to get some of them out with a little Poorboy's Waterless Wash this morning they're still there. I have used clay once before a few months ago (on a different car) and it seemed fine. Aaah!

I had previously washed my car (with a foam gun and a mixture of Optimum Shampoo and some P21S auto wash to get rid of any wax) and it looked fine. The car stayed in the garage without driving between the washing and claying. I used an unused section of clay (which had been bought about 6 months ago, stored in the garage (and no freezing temperatures) in a ziploc with some lubricant sprayed on it), along with the lubricant/qd that came with it, and a brand new Cobra microfiber. I reshaped the clay after doing each section to get a "clean" clay surface to use.

Now I'm beside myself. I was going to put on Zaino Clear Seal (which I've been using) as a base after claying, but now I've got to get these streaks out, so I don't think I want to put the sealant over them. But I'm also going to need to drive the car, and I don't want it on the roads with no protection. I think I'll just spray on some Pinnacle Spray Wax for now.

Please, anybody, what should I do? Will it come out with a just a regular wash? Do I need some polisher-type product (which I've never used)? Do I need to spend a bunch of money to have some pro detailer buff the whole thing? Help!!!

spindoc
01-13-2008, 10:45 AM
OK, when applying the spray wax just now I see that there are also some new fine scratches in the clearcoat in addition to the hazy streaks. I guess my claybar was contaminated from being stored for too long, or I didn't reshape it frequently enough, or I did too big a section at a time, or didn't use enough lubricant - or something.

I'm guessing it's going to take someone with a Porter Cable or some such who knows what they're doing to fix the mess I made. So can anybody recommend a good pro detailer in Wilmington NC? Thanks.

dengood1
01-13-2008, 10:46 AM
sounds like you have some micromarring from the clay, which is possible. What you are seeing are very tiny "micro" scratches that could have been placed there from contaminants that the clay bar picked up. A finishing polish should easily get them out, but you say you've never used a polish. Unfortunately, unless you want to "cover" them temporarily with a glaze, you will probably need to polish them out. Do you have any of the AIO's (Klasse, XMT 360, or Poorboys PWS)? They would probably make your scratched vanish and are very easy to use, but if you don't have a polisher I'm not sure you will be able to get them out. It's VERY easily fixed, but you would need a polisher unless you wanted to tackle it with some elbow grease:) Good luck.

Jimmie
01-13-2008, 11:01 AM
sounds like you have some micromarring from the clay, which is possible. What you are seeing are very tiny "micro" scratches that could have been placed there from contaminants that the clay bar picked up. A finishing polish should easily get them out, but you say you've never used a polish. Unfortunately, unless you want to "cover" them temporarily with a glaze, you will probably need to polish them out. Do you have any of the AIO's (Klasse, XMT 360, or Poorboys PWS)? They would probably make your scratched vanish and are very easy to use, but if you don't have a polisher I'm not sure you will be able to get them out. It's VERY easily fixed, but you would need a polisher unless you wanted to tackle it with some elbow grease:) Good luck.

:iagree: first thing I thought was micromarring.

Reddwarf
01-13-2008, 04:48 PM
I agree with dengood and Jimmie. If you get some XMT 360 or PB PwS you might be able to make it look better by hand. My recommendation is to get a Wolfgang German Polish N’ Wax Applicator (http://www.autogeek.net/german-applicator-pad.html) and either XMT 360 (http://www.autogeek.net/xmt-360.html) or PB PwS (http://www.autogeek.net/poorboys-polish-sealant.html). This won't cost much to try. If it doesn't work then a PC is the next step.

Surfer
01-13-2008, 04:57 PM
Could be micromarring from the clay, and also if you press the clay too hard with no enough qd' it leave a fine residue on the surface.

supercharged
01-14-2008, 04:16 AM
If rewashing after claying won't get rid of streaks, it's micromarring. You would need to repolish.

Andy Wayan
01-14-2008, 05:19 AM
get it polished with a machine..tentatively some who noes his way with a machine. Its a quik fix once done up with a machine.

If by hand..yes..I ever removed a micro marring situation with Duragloss TPP..but got to werk the hand Brahh...elbow grease..if u noe what I mean.

Good luck

spindoc
01-15-2008, 10:57 AM
OK thanks guys. I've got a guy coming over to polish it with a buffer.