PDA

View Full Version : 1960 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite, Meguiar's #7 to the rescue

Pages : [1] 2

LEDetailing
08-31-2017, 11:25 PM

I detailed this "little beauty" a couple of weeks ago. The 1960 Bugeye belongs to my uncle. He has owned it for 24 years and told me it had never been washed.

My uncle had used a car duster on it, but the paint was in poor condition. I believe the car was repainted many years ago. Definitely a single stage paint.

I have to apologize for the poor pictures. My wife took our Canon DSLR and all I had was my iPhone. I should have prioritized the photographs, but I was too busy working and forgot. I will plan better in the future.

This is the condition of the paint. The paint looked much worse in person the iPhone doesn't capture the oxidation and fading very well.

Products used:

The Bugeye was washed with Meguiar's D114 at 128:1 ratio, using a Meguiar's white MF wash mitt using it as a rinse less wash. Wheels and tires were washed with MF towels, various brushes and D114. The wheels were very dirty, as were the tires. No before photos, sorry. The car had been dusted ahead of time and did not have much of anything on the paint.

I clayed the paint using a Meguiar's fine white clay and D114 as clay lube. Surprisingly very little bonded contaminants on the paint. Did I mention my uncle believes he has only driven the car a few hundred miles in those 24 years:)

Next came one of the most satisfying parts of the detailing process. I rubbed the entire surface with Meguair's #7 glaze. Thank you Mike Phillips, without your articles on #7, this car would have never come out as well as it did.

#7 did an amazing job of revitalizing the paint and removing oxidation and water spots. The paint literally turned about 20 shades darker and immediately the gloss returned to the paint. I did not have time to allow the #7 to absorb into the paint very long. I used multiple cotton terry towels to apply and remove #7. I wish I would have photographed the condition of not only the paint but the towels. Surprisingly the towels had more of a rust colored as a opposed to a red color. I believe I was actually taking the oxidized paint off the surface and did not remove hardly any paint with the #7.

Next step was the polishing step. I did not want to remove much paint as I did not trust the quality of the paint. I used my Rupes LHR 15 MkII, with LC CCS orange light cutting pads and HD Speed as my cleaner wax/polish. I probably could have gotten away with using a more aggressive polish but the paint had sanding marks and would not have benefit much from the polish. My main goal was cleaning the paint and adding gloss.

Last was the wax. I used Dodo Juice Purple Haze applied by hand. This was given to me by BudgetPlan1. Thank you again, BudgetPlan!
Purple haze was really easy to work with. Unfortunately the clarity of the paint did not allow me to get full benefit of this fine wax. I was just looking to add some much needed protection to this nearly 60 year old car. Tires were dressed using Poorboy's Bold and Bright tire gel. Wheels were given a wipe down with Meguiar's D156 spray sealant.

My uncle was very happy with the results. I think when it was all said and done I had only 6-7 hours into the car total. Remember this car is tiny. A regular car would have taken me easily double that time.

Here is the finished result:

LEDetailing
08-31-2017, 11:35 PM
Some better photos:

Before condition:

LEDetailing
08-31-2017, 11:44 PM
Better finished results photos, higher resolution:

lj993
09-01-2017, 12:03 AM
Nice job. Love the styling on that bugeye. Phil

LEDetailing
09-01-2017, 12:06 AM
Nice job. Love the styling on that bugeye. Phil

Thank you Phil,

It reminds me of what a Miata would have looked like 30 years before it was made. The car is so light too. I was moving it around the garage like a bicycle. I think it weighs about 1450 lbs.

Bob

Aaryn NZ
09-01-2017, 12:09 AM
Awesome! :props:

Here in New Zealand there is quite a strong following for Austin Healeys & it easy to see why. Pretty sweet wee cars & I have always been fond of the "bugeye" sprite.

Beautiful work on this one mate, really nice turn around, that red really "Pops" now. I bet that was super fun to work on. Your Uncle must've been pretty happy with how it came out yeah? Nice, thank you for sharing. :props:

Aaryn NZ. :xyxthumbs:

LEDetailing
09-01-2017, 12:32 AM
Thanks Aaryn,

They are a neat little car. My dad has a 1962 MGA. I think the Bugeye has a neater look. But the MG is a cool car too. I wished I would have documented the process better. My uncle was amazed with the results, he even took the Bugeye out to a local car show at the neighborhood Burger King. Two of his good friends own late model Porsche 911's and they both asked my uncle if I detail. I told my uncle next time he sees the Porsche owners to give them both my number.

I look forward to seeing your write-ups. Keep them coming.

Bob

Klasse Act
09-01-2017, 06:20 AM
That car came out great!

Lots of missed stories have gone by since he's owned it, why hasn't it been driven?

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

LEDetailing
09-01-2017, 08:56 AM
That car came out great!

Lots of missed stories have gone by since he's owned it, why hasn't it been driven?

My uncle was hit by a wrong way drunk driver in NM prior to buying the Bugeye in 1993. Spent months in the hospital recovering. He would have probably driven it more if it was easier to get in and out of. I literally had to manipulate my legs with my hands to get out of the Bugeye. I didn't want to scratch anything:)

I won't laugh at guys getting in and out of Ferraris and Lamborghinis after getting in and out of this Bugeye:)

Klasse Act
09-01-2017, 01:14 PM
Gotcha[emoji118]

Mike Phillips
09-01-2017, 04:20 PM
Very cool!

Out of time today but will help get the pictures full size next week...

Love these old Bug Eye Sprites!

:)

Bobby B.
09-01-2017, 04:25 PM
Cool car! Great Job bringing this Austin Healey back to life.

LEDetailing
09-02-2017, 09:14 AM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/IMG_24583.jpg

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/IMG_24593.jpg

https://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/IMG_24573.jpg

https://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/IMG_24532.jpg

https://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/IMG_24542.jpg

LEDetailing
09-02-2017, 09:26 AM
Very cool!

Out of time today but will help get the pictures full size next week...

Love these old Bug Eye Sprites!

:)

Mike,

I had to do a little research on how to get the photos full size. Thanks for looking at the Bugeye, more importantly thank you for all the Autogeek articles on using Meguiar's #7 on single stage paint. Without your write-ups I would have not been able to handle this classic with the same level of care and perfection. Thanks again.

Bob

Sizzle Chest
09-02-2017, 12:58 PM
Great work Bob! Looks great man! Well done work on that classic roadster! Digging it!