PDA

View Full Version : Looking to test a new Clear Coat product -- Suggestions Welcome, please!

cobalt60
08-31-2017, 04:47 PM
I'm looking to try a new clear coat, maybe two, just to see what's out there. I've currently used the 'house brand' two-part product from these folks: Industrial Finishes | Automotive and Industrial Finishes (http://industrialfinishes.com/) This product is fine, but I want to ensure I'm doing the best I can.

Here's the hitch: I don't spray cars, but rather acoustic guitars. My final finish for a few years has been auto clearcoat, and it's been reasonably great so far. I'd love any thoughts you have would be appreciated. If there's interest, I'm happy to post tests and results here later, as well.
Desirable Qualities:

Final finish, after sanding and thin as possible. Final thinness is probably the most important quality of all.
Clarity is important, no coloring or visual distortions. If a tiny amount of tint it present, I'd prefer a yellow hue to a blue one.
Sticks to wood and stays adhered over time, including slight shape changes and wood grain raising over time.
I "pore fill" the porous woods like rosewood. I can use a variety of materials to do this, most commonly epoxy or shellac, and I need to ensure it doesn't react with the finish.
Easy to mix in small batches by an amateur like me.
I spray with an Apollo turbine HVLP setup if that helps to know
I sand by hand, then buff and polish with a 3" polisher and 3m 3-step products. I'm flexible on this, but my point is I'm a small one-person shop without big tools.

Undesirable Qualities:

Yellowing or clouding or softening over time
Questionable longevity -- that is, a well-kept instrument should stay nice for 20 years. Will this clear coat degrade over that time?
Reacting to human sweat / oils over time - some spots get much more human interaction than others!
Being absolutely un-repairable if damaged (less important)

I spray small surfaces, compared to most of you, so cost is ... less of a concern, I'd say. I'm open to any input, questions, or product suggestions here, so please let fly. Thanks to you all!

Rsurfer
08-31-2017, 05:20 PM
What do professional guitar makers use? I would suggest using what they use.

cobalt60
08-31-2017, 05:30 PM
What do professional guitar makers use? I would suggest using what they use.

The absolute most traditional finish is french polish, using shellac. It's beautiful but not durable, which is OK because it's easily repaired (if you're a good polisher)

For electrics and factory acoustics, a variety of nitrocellulose laquers are common. It has it's benefits and problems, and some might say that "it ain't broke, don't fix it."

There are many odd options, especially including the small-shop makers like me.

I'm quite happy with the results of the clear coat I listed above, and I learned to use it from a builder I respect greatly. However, I also know that he used it because it was convenient, he knew the shop owners, and they strongly recommended it (as you might expect, since it's their house brand).

For reference, for my puposes: french polish is sonically optimal, but not durable. Laquer has longevity problems (checks & cracks on its own), lays on very thick for acoustics, and simply offers no specific benefit over the clearcoat I'm currently using (fingers crossed, that is - time will tell).