PDA

View Full Version : anti theft activated!!! why!

ascarbo27
08-31-2017, 02:44 PM
detailed a 2010 ford escape hybrid today, the customer wanted the interior shampooed, through cleaning and shine on dash and doors. engine bay cleaning, and exterior wash wax, adhesive removal and buff out the sanding marks he put in trying to take off the stickers...

long story short, customer is calling me after ive already made it home. i didnt try to start the car before leaving because in 4 years or so ive never had anti theft activate.. how can we fix it, is it my responsibility to fix if we have to take it to the dealer?

RaskyR1
08-31-2017, 02:48 PM
Sounds like something got wet, did you pressure wash the engine bay? How was he interior shampooed?

ascarbo27
08-31-2017, 02:51 PM
yea, pressure washer since he had no water. i didnt blast one spot directly i just kind of speed sprayed over it moving back and forth fast as i could lol, i shampooed by hand, no extractor as the stains weren't bad

RaskyR1
08-31-2017, 03:04 PM
I'd say it's likely something got wet then, and if that's the case you'd be on the hook for it unless you had them sign a waiver. I've never had a factory security system go off like that but plenty of aftermarket ones back in the day. I've pretty much stopped doing engines now because of all the electronics in them.

Try blowing it off with air really well, maybe spraying the connections with WD-40. It may be shorted out and fried now though. :(

ascarbo27
08-31-2017, 03:22 PM
I'd say it's likely something got wet then, and if that's the case you'd be on the hook for it unless you had them sign a waiver. I've never had a factory security system go off like that but plenty of aftermarket ones back in the day. I've pretty much stopped doing engines now because of all the electronics in them.

Try blowing it off with air really well, maybe spraying the connections with WD-40. It may be shorted out and fried now though. :(

Thank you, that will be my last one lol

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

dcjredline
08-31-2017, 03:44 PM
Any anti theft device/module especially a factory one should be inside the car somewhere NOT under the hood. What are the symptoms/lights that the customer is seeing? 2010 Ford should be PATS system and not very complex...did you get the key wet by chance?

ascarbo27
08-31-2017, 03:54 PM
The only light is the red antitheft light and no I keep the keys in my trailer with my keys

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

dcjredline
08-31-2017, 06:18 PM
That module (the main part of it) is in the column. There is a transponder in the key and receiver in the column. I would search some on Google if I were you. Hard for me to diagnose from here. Will the car crank but not actually start or no crank at all?

ascarbo27
08-31-2017, 06:29 PM
this key is a key with a fob attached to the key as well, yea I've been on google all day lol

dcjredline
08-31-2017, 08:28 PM
Does the car crank?

ascarbo27
08-31-2017, 08:42 PM
Does the car crank?

I'm not sure the guy had it towed about 3 hrs after I left

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

ascarbo27
09-02-2017, 05:32 PM
So a fitting came loose

TTQ B4U
09-02-2017, 06:50 PM
So a fitting came loose

That's good news I suppose. Did the ordeal cost you anything?

I won't tackle really nasty engine bays for the sake of potential issues.

ascarbo27
09-02-2017, 06:53 PM
No, but I offered to cover some of the expenses because the car worked fine before I worked on it and didn't when I was done. He appreciated that but refused my offer

WindyCity
09-02-2017, 07:06 PM
That's why I never used a pressure washer ever on an engine bay. I would never use more than a garden hose that I barely get everything wet with as little water as possible. All the engine bay is that I've cleaned I never had an issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk