PDA

View Full Version : Which gelcoat compound is compatible with paint guard plus?

MichaelB1969
08-31-2017, 12:57 AM
Hi all, I've been using PGP on my cars and love it. Want to try it on my boat but some of the gelcoat is a little oxidized. Not that I'd apply it on gelcoat in that state, but if I did, I assume it would simply soak in and be completely ineffective as it probably wouldn't bond.

Anyway, I did pick up some Meguiars #49 and buffed a few areas then followed up with PGP. However, the compound seemed like it left behind some oils or something, which got me wondering whether or not it was disrupting the bonding process of the PGP.

Does anyone know if #49 contains anything that would cause the PGP not to bond? And does anyone have any recommendations on a gelcoat cleaner or compound (I actually think the #49 was a bit too weak for certain areas) that will definitely work with PGP?

Thanks!
Mike

GSKR
08-31-2017, 09:24 AM
3m white compound purple bottle I thought I had some around to give you part# but I don't.The best for boats period nothing comes close to ease of use and a true performer.How ever its not cheap.

GSKR
08-31-2017, 09:28 AM
For extra insurance for bonding buy a bottle of Carpro eraser. If you use alcohol mixed with water it may fade back again because gelcoat is so porous.Collinite fleet wax will be more suitable than paint guard.

MichaelB1969
08-31-2017, 01:42 PM
3m white compound purple bottle I thought I had some around to give you part# but I don't.The best for boats period nothing comes close to ease of use and a true performer.How ever its not cheap.

Thanks, was this the one? http://www.autogeek.net/3m-06044.html

dcjredline
08-31-2017, 03:51 PM
I'll second the Eraser wipe no matter what compound/polish and lsp you use.