PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning panel gaps/seams

AKT
08-30-2017, 11:42 PM
Next Sunday, i am planning to use the famous detailing brush to clean emblems, badges, and panel seams. I will be using ONRWW to spray and saturate the area first instead of using soap.

Will this scratch my paint?

Any other tool/technique anyone here has?

sweatthedetails
08-31-2017, 09:56 PM
Emblems are difficult. I've had good luck with steam but the only way to really get that area is to remove and reinstall.

AKT
08-31-2017, 09:58 PM
Even with a soft brush..?

LEDetailing
08-31-2017, 10:16 PM
Soft boar's hair or equivalent brush and a mild APC. I have gone as far as using polish on the tip of a cotton swab. The cotton swab can be used to clean both the emblem, badge, or the paint surrounding the area. Don't let the polish dry. Change swabs often and check the paint and emblems often. Cotton swabs will scratch paint depending on the paint's hardness, polish used, and amount of pressure applied. In this case less is more, less pressure, least amount of polish necessary.

I really like Meguiar's new wash plus for things like emblems and badges. Is it as effective as a brush, probably not, but it does a better job than regular car wash soap.

EngineerNate
08-31-2017, 10:48 PM
I've got an old shaving brush and some soft paint brushes I can use for stuff that's on the paint.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

AKT
09-01-2017, 12:14 AM
I think the meg's wash plus has abrasives in it for light polishing, causing it to be really tough on grime.

I can't believe cotton q tips can scratch paint! Does it mean my car's paint is more delicate than my ears??! :)

I will try my brand new, still wrapped famous detailing brush this weekend with some clay lube strength ONRWW. I will reply back on this thread with the results.

AKT
09-01-2017, 12:16 AM
I've got an old shaving brush and some soft paint brushes I can use for stuff that's on the paint.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I am scared to use a paint brush. Do you have like an artist's brush by any chance?

LEDetailing
09-01-2017, 12:43 AM
I should have clarified regarding the qtips scratching. The cotton could leave its mark if you are not careful. Especially if you get any debris on the qtip and then rub the paint with qtip.

AKT
09-01-2017, 12:45 AM
I should have clarified regarding the qtips scratching. The cotton could leave its mark if you are not careful. Especially if you get any debris on the qtip and then rub the paint with qtip.

Got it. Have you tried the foam detailing sticks?

LEDetailing
09-01-2017, 12:49 AM
No, but that would be a great use for the foam sticks. One great use for foam is on detailing interior vents. I used those cheapie foam paint brushes with just a little Meguiar's quik interior detailer and it cleans dirty vents very well.