PDA

View Full Version : Megs Pads vs. Lake Country Thin Pro Pads?

willowcat11
08-30-2017, 07:02 PM
I know there are other brands out there, but I just wanted to know how these compare to each other.

Is one Better quality over the other in you're experiences?

I'm wanting to compare the Meguiars Burgandy Compound Pad, and Yellow Polishing Pad, to the similar Lake Country Pads?

Thankyou!

EngineerNate
08-30-2017, 07:38 PM
I am curious about this as well. I'll add in an ask for the Griot's boss pads as well if you don't mind. :)

willowcat11
08-30-2017, 10:29 PM
Any Anwsers out there in Autogeek land?

dlc95
08-30-2017, 10:59 PM
The Meguiar's pads less dense, but are very capable in their respective task. I personally prefer the Meguiar's foams to the foams LC uses in the thin pro line.

willowcat11
08-31-2017, 11:10 AM
Thankyou dlc95!

dcjredline
08-31-2017, 11:25 AM
I bought the Meguiars pads but have never used the thin pro YET. I was not impressed at all with the Meguiars thin foam pads. The cutting ones just didnt seem to cut squat, and the polishing ones are more like wax application pads in my opinion. Ive tried them on many cars and have never found a combo I liked them with. Very disappointed with them. I got some thin pros for my GG3 and I am hoping they work well.

Eldorado2k
08-31-2017, 11:27 AM
I'm wanting to compare the Meguiars Burgandy Compound Pad, and Yellow Polishing Pad, to the similar Lake Country Pads?

I like the Meguiars pads much better. Reason being is that the Burgundy pad just flat out performs like a champ. Cuts like heck yet still finishes down lsp ready + isn't hard the way most of the other foam cutting pads out there... Which means it doesn't suffer from the obligatory splater when you 1st start out. It's a little more dense than the polishing pad, but nowhere near hard.

The polishing pad does what it's meant to do and does it well.

Now as far as the LC Thinpros... Gray cutting pad: Its hard as heck. I've read some people talk about initially being hesitant on wanting to use it cuz it's so hard. [there's really nothing to fear, but it is somewhat stiff]
The Orange pad: They say this is also a cutting pad? Ok...
White Pad: Adequate polishing pad, nothing groundbreaking.
Red pad: see black pad.
Black pad: What the heck is the difference between the red and black? Why do they try to make me buy 2 different finishing pads? Not to mention 2 different cutting pads? That's what turns me off. Meguiars keeps it simple and does an amazing job.

I own a set of 3.5" LC Thinpros. But when it comes down to 5.5"-6.5" thin foam pads I choose the Megs without a doubt.

The Guz
08-31-2017, 11:47 AM
I bought the Meguiars pads but have never used the thin pro YET. I was not impressed at all with the Meguiars thin foam pads. The cutting ones just didnt seem to cut squat, and the polishing ones are more like wax application pads in my opinion. Ive tried them on many cars and have never found a combo I liked them with. Very disappointed with them. I got some thin pros for my GG3 and I am hoping they work well.

Are you referring to the Meguiar's foam discs or their small pads? I ask because you mention the GG3.

I am assuming willocat is asking about the foam discs which are very good pads. I agree with Eldorado on the burgundy foam disc being one of the best cutting pads.

JustJesus
08-31-2017, 12:22 PM
I have no clue why I haven't tried the Megs versions! I have quite a few of them. ayyyy.

Anybody try the Megs burgundy with M101 Foam Cut Compound? I'm guessing it's a good combo

The Guz
08-31-2017, 12:51 PM
I have no clue why I haven't tried the Megs versions! I have quite a few of them. ayyyy.

Anybody try the Megs burgundy with M101 Foam Cut Compound? I'm guessing it's a good combo

Good combo.

dlc95
08-31-2017, 03:23 PM
I like the Meguiars pads much better. Reason being is that the Burgundy pad just flat out performs like a champ. Cuts like heck yet still finishes down lsp ready + isn't hard the way most of the other foam cutting pads out there... Which means it doesn't suffer from the obligatory splater when you 1st start out. It's a little more dense than the polishing pad, but nowhere near hard.

The polishing pad does what it's meant to do and does it well.

Now as far as the LC Thinpros... Gray cutting pad: Its hard as heck. I've read some people talk about initially being hesitant on wanting to use it cuz it's so hard. [there's really nothing to fear, but it is somewhat stiff]
The Orange pad: They say this is also a cutting pad? Ok...
White Pad: Adequate polishing pad, nothing groundbreaking.
Red pad: see black pad.
Black pad: What the heck is the difference between the red and black? Why do they try to make me buy 2 different finishing pads? Not to mention 2 different cutting pads? That's what turns me off. Meguiars keeps it simple and does an amazing job.

I own a set of 3.5" LC Thinpros. But when it comes down to 5.5"-6.5" thin foam pads I choose the Megs without a doubt.

Exactly. When you're using less dense pads, you don't have to use so much pressure to remove the defects/polish to a high gloss - just enough to keep the pad in consistent contact with the surface. This is how I'm able to get so much cut from the green Buff and Shine. Whenever I used the orange or yellow cutting pads, I never got anywhere near the performance the green pads gave me. They're too hard, and end up really smooth once wet with product, and softened by heat.

Conversely, the closed cell Lake Country Hydrotechs also cut and polish great without tons of preasure on the polisher.

Back about ten or so years ago, the green pad was often listed as a "medium/light" cut pad. Since then, it has become accepted that pad density is responsible for cut. In my experience, it depends on the operator. Plenty of guys do great work with the orange pad. Me, give me the green. My work with orange pads sucks.

dcjredline
08-31-2017, 03:47 PM
Are you referring to the Meguiar's foam discs or their small pads? I ask because you mention the GG3.

I am assuming willocat is asking about the foam discs which are very good pads. I agree with Eldorado on the burgundy foam disc being one of the best cutting pads.

Yeah the 6.5 and 5.5 Meguiar's discs. I mention the GG3 cause that's what I have the thin pro pads for.

Finick
08-31-2017, 03:53 PM
I don't have any experience with the LC thin pros, but I really like my meguiars foam pads. The polishing pad I especially enjoy. I'm not really sure about the finishing pad, other than for applying wax. I tried out using it with my pinnacle advanced finishing polish and didn't really see a noticeable difference between the polishing/finishing.

They also clean really easily, but my 3" LC hydro tech polishing pads I just got also clean easily.

mwoywod
08-31-2017, 07:08 PM
The Megs burgundy 5.5 inch thin pad is really something special IMO. I don't use any of meguiars pads on a large stroke machine, but on a standard 8mm DA the burgundy pads are fantastic.

One of the primary reason I love them is how ridiculously easy the are to clean. Even though I generally prefer a thicker pad (uro-tec's and low-pro's) I can just throw the Meg's thin burgundy into a bucket with some D114 and massage them while rinsing under warm water and they release ALL the paint residue and spent compound.

dcjredline
08-31-2017, 08:33 PM
Wow, can't believe I'm the only one who had trouble with the Meg's pads! Hum. Now I'm even more mad about it! Lol