PDA

View Full Version : Alternative to clay bar that wont leave paint marring.

Pages : [1] 2

Temple90
08-30-2017, 02:11 PM
As the title states I am looking for a product that will replace clay barring and also not marr the paint.
I have seen various pads and gloves, but am worried about giving them a try because of the soft paint on my 07 Sti (Satin White Pearl).
The paint is white so the marring will be hard to see, but I rather avoid it altogether if possible.

Looking for opinions on products that have worked for you.

EngineerNate
08-30-2017, 02:13 PM
From what I've read, standard clay, assuming it hasn't been dropped, is less likely to mar than the mitts/towels/pads that do the same job. Their primary advantage is speed and agressiveness.

For some contaminants, such as iron, you can use a chemical means of extraction such as Iron X/Sonax Fallout Cleaner/Optimum Ferrex. Some products such as Ferrex, Sonax Fallout Cleaner, and CarPro TriX are advertised as being able to remove multiple types of contaminants. YMMV.

Rsurfer
08-30-2017, 02:25 PM
If you use a clay alternative (Nano Skin) with a lot of lube and sort of flush the surface the chances of trapping debris between the pad/towel and paint is greatly minimized.

Kamakaz1961
08-30-2017, 02:34 PM
I would look into the Nano Skin wash Mitt. IMO, this would be the best way to go. I use the wash Mitt when I detail any vehicle and it is a great product. I have not experienced any marring issues. My guess is you are using car soap and water and your ride is already wet. I would consider looking into that product. BTW, when you use the Mitt, you will reduce your clay time by 1/2. No worrying about dropping the mitt as opposed to clay. If you drop the mitt rinse, inspect and go back to claying. I use the Blue wash Mitt.

DogRescuer
08-30-2017, 02:47 PM
Hi it also depends on what grade the mit is and pressure used. I've had even fine clay leave slight marring. BTW what is a STI, subaru , VW what?

Temple90
08-30-2017, 02:50 PM
Hi it also depends on what grade the mit is and pressure used. I've had even fine clay leave slight marring. BTW what is a STI, subaru , VW what?

Should have specified, it is a Subaru. I guess if I apply lube generously my chances of marring go down significantly.

DogRescuer
08-30-2017, 03:03 PM
Oh absolutely.

RaskyR1
08-30-2017, 03:39 PM
I haven't had any issues using the Nanoskin as long as I've used the Glide for lube. I've tried it with ONR and got marring so I just stick with the Glide.

Mike@ShineStruck
08-30-2017, 03:41 PM
Another alternative is a light acid wash. Makes a great replacement for fallout remover too

DogRescuer
08-30-2017, 04:37 PM
What about soapy water?

I haven't had any issues using the Nanoskin as long as I've used the Glide for lube. I've tried it with ONR and got marring so I just stick with the Glide.

Cruzscarwash
08-30-2017, 04:43 PM
what do you recommend?

DogRescuer
08-30-2017, 04:50 PM
Who?

what do you recommend?

Route246
08-30-2017, 04:56 PM
Should have specified, it is a Subaru. I guess if I apply lube generously my chances of marring go down significantly.

Yes, don't be sparing with the lube. Quick detailer, diluted rinseless wash or standard clay lube works well. You'll need something a little more slick than copious amounts of water, although a very wet surface from water with clay lube doesn't hurt.

Goonie75
08-30-2017, 04:56 PM
I use the mother's synthetic clay and it does ok. It's ok to use that with soapy water and I get minimal maring typically. I use Stripper Scent CG soap. I find though the regular clay works better at removing more contaminants than the synthetic. Regardless of the lubricant I use.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

Kamakaz1961
08-30-2017, 04:57 PM
What about soapy water?

When you are washing your car after you rinse (or after you wash) you can use the current soapy water and use the mitt. IMO that is better than any lube. As long as the car is wet and soapy there are no issues with the Nanoskin Mitt. If you rinse your ride just fill the bucket up with car soap and Nanoskin. Works great and no marring issues.