PDA

View Full Version : Clay mitt for rinseless washing

Pages : [1] 2

AKT
08-30-2017, 04:32 AM
Ok, i seem to suck at searching topics here so i decided to create a new one.

I am just wondering, since we can use clay mitts while washing the car with car soap, and rinseless wash solutions replace car soap, is it ok to use a clay mitt while doing rinseless wash?

Anyone tried it?

BadgerRivFan
08-30-2017, 04:59 AM
I generally don't clay while rinseless washing, as the lubrication of most rinseless products (at their recommended rinseless wash dilution ratios) is insufficient IMHO.

Now having said that, there are a few rinseless products that DO have recommended clay lubricant dilution ratios... McKees N-914 comes to mind.

Optimum also recommends using their spray wax and clay towel while rinseless washing with ONR as a means to clean and protect all at the same time.

Personally, I just prefer to use Griots Speed Shine for my clay lubricant. I wouldn't see a problem with rinseless washing a panel, spraying some Speed Shine then claying, and finally drying the panel and moving on - if I was going to then follow up with a new LSP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

AKT
08-30-2017, 05:08 AM
Optimum also recommends using their spray wax and clay towel while rinseless washing with ONR as a means to clean and protect all at the same time.

I just did this last weekend, and it was my first time claying a car. My realization was, i should have went with the traditional clay bar. Because i am a visual guy and i would have been more satisfied if i can see the contaminants being pulled out. :)

Back to the topic, i am just thinking of ways to further make the job faster. My imagination then brought me to ask my question. Thanks for replying!

supercharged75
08-30-2017, 08:28 AM
I use a clay towel and 6" clay da pad near my rinseless bucket. I use ONR and have not had any issues. If an area is heavily contaminated I'll use an ONR diluted at 1/2 a cap to 23 oz bottle of distilled water. Never had any issues.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

AKT
08-30-2017, 09:47 AM
I use a clay towel and 6" clay da pad near my rinseless bucket. I use ONR and have not had any issues. If an area is heavily contaminated I'll use an ONR diluted at 1/2 a cap to 23 oz bottle of distilled water. Never had any issues.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Thank you. Sorry, but can you do a step by step of what you do?

chet31
08-30-2017, 11:58 PM
Are you saying you have a dirty car, rinseless wash, and a clay mitt. You would then do a rinseless wash of the car using the clay side of the clay mitt, so that you can wash and clay the car at the same time?

AKT
08-31-2017, 02:24 AM
Are you saying you have a dirty car, rinseless wash, and a clay mitt. You would then do a rinseless wash of the car using the clay side of the clay mitt, so that you can wash and clay the car at the same time?

Yes. That is what I imagined.

supercharged75
08-31-2017, 12:52 PM
1. Evaluate the vehicle condition to determine if a rinseless wash is suitable or if it needs to be pressure washed followed by a traditional wash.
2. Presoak with ONR diluted to 256 to 1.

3.Use BRS or clean mf towel and wash roof as normal

4.wipe with dry towel to get mist not necessarily all solution.

5. Spray heavier dilution of ONR, detail spray, optimum spray wax, etc on clean panel and use clay mitt.

6. If using ONR I now spray Optiseal on the panel and work in with a dry towel to protect the paint.

Hope this helps.

Here are a couple of recent jobs I have done with this process.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170831/9d891e109c137e1193b878a3aedd1e88.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170831/be9521003c40aecc2d4894c8da5ba669.jpg

AKT
08-31-2017, 01:24 PM
1. Evaluate the vehicle condition to determine if a rinseless wash is suitable or if it needs to be pressure washed followed by a traditional wash.

5. Spray heavier dilution of ONR, detail spray, optimum spray wax, etc on clean panel and use clay mitt.

6. If using ONR I now spray Optiseal on the panel and work in with a dry towel to protect the paint.

Hope this helps.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170831/9d891e109c137e1193b878a3aedd1e88.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170831/be9521003c40aecc2d4894c8da5ba669.jpg

Very helpful and very nice Cadillac!!!

Basically the same process as i did, but i am not very happy with the OPT clay towel I used. What specific clay mitt are you using?

AKT
08-31-2017, 01:26 PM
Also, have you ever tried or thought of skipping steps 3 and 4? You know, presoak then jump to clay mitt for cleaning the car.

evo77
08-31-2017, 05:34 PM
I know for N-914 the dilution ratio for clay lube is the same as WW. Which means that technically a RW dilution is too weak. I can't speak on other RW products but wonder if it might be the same.

If I were you I would:

-premix a clay lube concentration according to your RW manufacturer instructions in a spray bottle.
-clean each panel with your RW first
-before drying the panel, spray the clay lube concentrate onto the already wet panel
-clay panel
-dry
-repeat steps above on next panel

AKT
08-31-2017, 06:54 PM
I know for N-914 the dilution ratio for clay lube is the same as WW. Which means that technically a RW dilution is too weak. I can't speak on other RW products but wonder if it might be the same.

If I were you I would:

-premix a clay lube concentration according to your RW manufacturer instructions in a spray bottle.
-clean each panel with your RW first
-before drying the panel, spray the clay lube concentrate onto the already wet panel
-clay panel
-dry
-repeat steps above on next panel

Looks like the same process i did but upon 2nd look, this is more efficient! Thanks!

The Guz
08-31-2017, 07:06 PM

Hope this helps.

This is a good method to use and modify accordingly.

Very helpful and very nice Cadillac!!!

Basically the same process as i did, but i am not very happy with the OPT clay towel I used. What specific clay mitt are you using?

Get yourself a nanoskin clay towel, griot's clay mitt or something better. The OPT clay towel is not that good.

Also, have you ever tried or thought of skipping steps 3 and 4? You know, presoak then jump to clay mitt for cleaning the car.

From using the BRS and ONR, the BRS is not going to pick up some of the dirt. Some of it will be picked up by the towel. I would not want to be rubbing around grit on the dirty solution. A microfiber does a little better but it to can leave some dirt behind.

AKT
08-31-2017, 08:43 PM
Nanoskin clay towel is the $60 one, right? I use MF towels for rinseless, it cleans better than sponges IMHO.

chet31
08-31-2017, 10:29 PM
Yes. That is what I imagined.

I also look for ways to skip or combine steps. But I think using the clay side of a clay mitt on the first pass with the car dirty would grind the dirt into the clear coat, resulting in more swirling. I do a hybrid of what you are proposing. I clean a panel using "lube strength" ONR with MFs, then immediately clay it while it's still wet (plus I'll hit it with more lube). This at least saves the drying step.