PDA

View Full Version : Removing long-neglected overspray

EngineerNate
08-28-2017, 11:09 AM
Hi Mike and everyone else,

First post here. I've been detailing cars for fun for years but recently had a few friends express an interest in having me do their cars so I've been branching into paid work.

The last car I did was a silver 06 BMW 330i that had really bad paint overspray on the RHS. It was black and nothing wanted to touch it. I hit it with Tarminator, the McKees clay, and a bit of compound by hand and nothing. The process I found that worked and settled on was the following:

1. Soak the corner of a cheap MF with lacquer thinner.

2. Hold/rub/dab on overspray for a few seconds.

3. Spray with clay lube concentration of N-914.

4. Clay somewhat aggressively, watch for reduction in size of overspray blob.

5. Spray with generous amount of N-914 and wipe with clean cloth to prevent over-exposure of clear coat to thinner.

6. Repeat until blob is gone.

I originally tried to use a nail to "pop" the softened overspray off the clear coat, but I had one large blob that unfortunately took a small portion of the clear with it using this method. This method was recommended by another local detailer I took the car by when I was unsure how to proceed after clay didn't work. They also recommended using the lacquer thinner.

I have three primary questions:

1. How likely is it that a more aggressive clay could have avoided the need for such a strong solvent?

2. On the spot that compromised the clear when the overspray popped off, is that most likely due to the long amount of time the overspray was allowed to bond, my applying a strong solvent, too aggressive a fingernail, or some combo of the three? This panel was far from perfect so in the grand scheme of things it's not a big deal, but I obviously want to avoid adding to the damage when I work on cars moving forward.

3. What would your hierarchy of techniques for overspray look like, from gentlest to most aggressive?

Thanks!
Nathan

Mike Phillips
08-28-2017, 12:15 PM
Hi Mike and everyone else,

First post here. I've been detailing cars for fun for years but recently had a few friends express an interest in having me do their cars so I've been branching into paid work.

Hi Nate and welcome to AutogeekOnline.net!

That's the normal progression, start out doing your own cars, end up getting paid to detail other people's cars.

I have three primary questions:

1. How likely is it that a more aggressive clay could have avoided the need for such a strong solvent?

Lacquer thinner isn't really that strong of a solvent in context with other solvents on the market. Also, I think lacquer thinner really only dissolves lacquer, so if the overspray you were trying to remove wasn't lacquer or somehow in the lacquer family then another solvent may have worked better.

I think Dan McCool said on one of the Dr. Color Chip videos we made said that acetone can be used to remove touch-up paint without hurting FACTORY OEM paint.

I would have to re-watch the DR. Color Chip videos to locate and make sure that's accurate but I'm pretty sure that's what he said and if that's true, acetone may have worked better and faster.

Acetone is also really bad to get on your skin so be sure to wear the proper safety equipment when using it.

2. On the spot that compromised the clear when the overspray popped off, is that most likely due to the long amount of time the overspray was allowed to bond, my applying a strong solvent, too aggressive a fingernail, or some combo of the three? This panel was far from perfect so in the grand scheme of things it's not a big deal, but I obviously want to avoid adding to the damage when I work on cars moving forward.

Just the way things go sometimes.... whatever this overspray is - it sounds like it's stuck onto the paint like super glue.

3. What would your hierarchy of techniques for overspray look like, from gentlest to most aggressive?

Thanks!
Nathan

Normally you want to stick with things that only remove the overspray, that would be tools like clay, Nanoskin towels, pads and wash mitts, then chemicals.

For really bad overspray I have good luck with a new medium Nanoskin towel where I can rub hard using my hand and arm muscles. This will also leave the paint marred so I always plan on machine polishing afterwards.

There are a LOT of solvents on the market and you will never know which one will react with the offending overspray without first having a variety in your arsenal and then testing.

Tar X seems to be a very good and safe for paint solvent that remove not only tar but also tree sap and tree sap sticks to paint like some "overspray paint" so maybe pick up a bottle of this for your car detailing arsenal.

:)

EngineerNate
08-28-2017, 12:37 PM
Thanks Mike! The lacquer thinner definitely helped to soften the overspray, so maybe I got lucky with it's chemical composition. Next time I'll get my hands on some nanoskin products, it seems that they might have some more "bite" than traditional clay for overspray removal.

Mantilgh
08-28-2017, 12:51 PM
If you have a DA polisher then the Nanoskin Autoscrub pads work very fast.

Nanoskin Autoscrub Medium Foam Pad (http://www.autogeek.net/nanoskin-autoscrub-medium-grade.html)

Much faster than by hand, but I'd say you would also have to polish afterwards.

The towels and mitts work well too. It's nice to have the extra surface area working for you.

jbmeyer13
09-01-2017, 01:12 PM
See this thread; I've been through your situation at the trizact worked perfectly: https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-mike-phillips-your-detailing-questions/93959-clay-bar-problem-contamination-orange-peel-3.html

EngineerNate
09-01-2017, 01:20 PM
See this thread; I've been through your situation at the trizact worked perfectly: https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-mike-phillips-your-detailing-questions/93959-clay-bar-problem-contamination-orange-peel-3.html

Thanks! I'll keep that in mind for future work. 5000 should be pretty safe as far as wetsanding goes. That said, these droplets were probably too spread out to be effectively removed with any kind of sanding without taking off more of the clear than I would have liked.

Pic here:

https://i.imgur.com/g3VVZDX.jpg