PDA

View Full Version : Polishing new paint

Pages : [1] 2

Rtrick87
08-28-2017, 12:54 AM
Well it's almost been a month since I got my truck back from the dealer who ignored the pleads for not to wash or polish my paint which now has swirls and polish oil trails. Since I can't seal it, I was going to polish it with I think M103, but since I read on here not to use an IPA wipe or chemical stripper on the paint, how should I go about removing the oil that M103 will probably leave? Or should I just wax it and polish it in the spring? They left these imperfections all over the paint when the only area that was painted was front fender, passenger door, hood and front bumper and I'm tired of seeing them :buffing:

FUNX650
08-28-2017, 01:38 AM
OK...It's been ~a month since
your vehicle was painted.

•Exactly how long did they say to wait
to seal the paint (with either a: Wax,
Sealant, or Coating)?

If it was 30 days:
-Your good to go with your Meguiar's
compounding and/or polishing step(s)...
with absolutely no need to remove any
"oils"...before applying your choice of
most any Meguiar's Waxes or Sealants.

If it's more than 30 days:
-Then, for right now, I'd go ahead with
the compounding/polishing step(s), and
follow-up with an application of Meguiar's
M305---it's a glaze with Wax protection,
that still lets the paint breathe/outgas/cure.

Meguiars M305 Ultra Finishing Durable Glaze 16 oz. (http://www.autogeek.net/megiuars-m305-16.html)

Bob

Eldorado2k
08-28-2017, 02:15 AM
Sealant, or Coating)?

They could've told him anything... 7, 30, 90 days... Do you really think the same clowns who couldn't even follow his basic instructions to not do anything to the rest of the panels are suddenly going to be competent enough to give proper advice regarding when it's safe to "wax" the paint with any products outside of their little world of hackjobs?

... Ask them for advice of when it's safe to wax after what they themselves did to his perfectly ok paint... They'd be the last idiots I'd take any advice from. Lol.

Rtrick87
08-28-2017, 02:16 AM
OK...It's been ~a month since
your vehicle was painted.

Sealant, or Coating)?

If it was 30 days:
-Your good to go with your Meguiar's
compounding and/or polishing step(s)...
with absolutely no need to remove any
"oils"...before applying your choice of
most any Meguiar's Waxes or Sealants.

If it's more than 30 days:
-Then, for right now, I'd go ahead with
the compounding/polishing step(s), and
follow-up with an application of Meguiar's
M305---it's a glaze with Wax protection,
that still lets the paint breathe/outgas/cure.

Meguiars M305 Ultra Finishing Durable Glaze 16 oz. (http://www.autogeek.net/megiuars-m305-16.html)

Bob

He said 30 for wax and that I could polish the paint the day I took it home... and to seal he said 3 months. Doesn't the M205 leave some oil behind?

Eldorado2k
08-28-2017, 02:26 AM
He said 30 for wax and that I could polish the paint the day I took it home... and to seal he said 3 months. Doesn't the M205 leave some oil behind?

So he did give you 2 answers... Has anyone ever heard of this rule of you can wax after 30 days but you better not use a sealant until 90 days? If I'm wrong I'll admit it, but that sounds like some bogus advice.

Eldorado2k
08-28-2017, 02:28 AM
@Rtrick87. Why are you concerned with the polishing oils?

Rtrick87
08-28-2017, 02:35 AM
@Rtrick87. Why are you concerned with the polishing oils?

Because when I use the M205 it leaves oily residue that I remove with an IPA wipe. And according to an article on here, your not supposed to use an IPA wipe down on new paint.

Eldorado2k
08-28-2017, 02:47 AM
Because when I use the M205 it leaves oily residue that I remove with an IPA wipe. And according to an article on here, your not supposed to use an IPA wipe down on new paint.

My question is why bother removing? I never do... It looks good. Adds gloss + don't have to do a tedious wipedown with alcohol potentially adding swirls in the process. The polishing oils don't affect the bonding of the sealant [at least not the ones I use]
So what's the benefit? Besides the fact that you remove them? If it's to ensure it actually removed the swirls, IME M205 has never filled swirls, it permanently removes them. It's nothing like a glaze.

Rtrick87
08-28-2017, 02:58 AM
My question is why bother removing? I never do... It looks good. Adds gloss + don't have to do a tedious wipedown with alcohol potentially adding swirls in the process. The polishing oils don't affect the bonding of the sealant [at least not the ones I use]
So what's the benefit? Besides the fact that you remove them? If it's to ensure it actually removed the swirls, IME M205 has never filled swirls, it permanently removes them. It's nothing like a glaze.

Got it. Sometimes after using the M205 I see like oily hazes which is why I was saying removing the oils. I'm still pretty new to the polishing world. I've always thought the paint looks great after polishing and then after I wipe off the polish and wax it I notice what looks like an oily substance which is reflecting light.

Eldorado2k
08-28-2017, 03:11 AM
I've always thought the paint looks great after polishing and then after I wipe off the polish and wax it I notice what looks like an oily substance which is reflecting light.

Looks great after polishing and wiping the polish off correct? If you're seeing streaks that look like oil after wiping off the sealant then it's got nothing to do with any polishing oils left behind by the polish... It's the sealants characteristics that you're dealing with and they'll happen depending on it alone or possibly your technique in applying it or another possibility could be the weather conditions you're working in.

Some sealants have alot of carrier oils, which can be good as they tend to darken the paint upon application giving a nice deep look on dark colored vehicles, but at the same time those same carrier oils can leave a bit of streaks depending on the sealant and how good it is... Meguiars Paint Protect comes to mind, its really heavy on the polishing oils and dramatically darkens paint, but can also be streaky upon application/removal. So much so that I bet there's alot of people who probably hate it, while others love it.

The good news is that oily streaking that's left behind some sealants goes away on it's own, usually unnoticeable in days time. This has been my experience, and I hope that's all you're dealing with because if it is it shouldn't be a cause for any concern.

Rtrick87
08-28-2017, 03:31 AM
Looks great after polishing and wiping the polish off correct? If you're seeing streaks that look like oil after wiping off the sealant then it's got nothing to do with any polishing oils left behind by the polish... It's the sealants characteristics that you're dealing with and they'll happen depending on it alone or possibly your technique in applying it or another possibility could be the weather conditions you're working in.

Some sealants have alot of carrier oils, which can be good as they tend to darken the paint upon application giving a nice deep look on dark colored vehicles, but at the same time those same carrier oils can leave a bit of streaks depending on the sealant and how good it is... Meguiars Paint Protect comes to mind, its really heavy on the polishing oils and dramatically darkens paint, but can also be streaky upon application/removal. So much so that I bet there's alot of people who probably hate it, while others love it.

The good news is that oily streaking that's left behind some sealants goes away on it's own, usually unnoticeable in days time. This has been my experience, and I hope that's all you're dealing with because if it is it shouldn't be a cause for any concern.

Sounds good! Thanks for that little lesson. I always thought it was polish oil causing it. It would kind of look like this line where the sun is reflecting.

FUNX650
08-28-2017, 06:43 AM

Sealant?...What Sealant?

Well it's almost been a month since I got my truck back from the dealer who ignored the pleads for not to wash or polish my paint which now has swirls and polish oil trails. Since I can't seal it, I was going to polish it with I think M103, but since I read on here not to use an IPA wipe or chemical stripper on the paint, how should I go about removing the oil that M103 will probably leave? Or should I just wax it and polish it in the spring? They left these imperfections all over the paint when the only area that was painted was front fender, passenger door, hood and front bumper and I'm tired of seeing them :buffing:

Bob

Derrick
08-28-2017, 07:55 AM
My car had a panel repainted and the dealership said not to wax it for at least 90 days, to let the paint cure. So I will follow their directions and not touch the paint until mid-October.

custmsprty
08-28-2017, 09:13 AM
Got it. Sometimes after using the M205 I see like oily hazes which is why I was saying removing the oils. I'm still pretty new to the polishing world. I've always thought the paint looks great after polishing and then after I wipe off the polish and wax it I notice what looks like an oily substance which is reflecting light.

I have never ever done a wipe down after any polishing, but then again I have never used Megs either.

custmsprty
08-28-2017, 09:18 AM
My car had a panel repainted and the dealership said not to wax it for at least 90 days, to let the paint cure. So I will follow their directions and not touch the paint until mid-October.

Mike Phillips has posted many times about this on this forum.

Just a helpful note, I just took a couple seconds, used the AG search function and this came up:

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/2009-2016-how-articles-mike-phillips/26967-don-t-wax-your-car-least-30-days.html