PDA

View Full Version : Rupes Mark II 21mm vs Boss G21

asap2stacks
08-27-2017, 02:43 PM
Rivals at there best! Two beast of machines and both well built machines used in the Auto Detailing industry today!

Post a photo you love of a vehicle you have done using one of the following two machines and state your pads and products used to complete the job and a little info on what made you buy this polisher over the other.

(Note: if you own both please explain which one you bought first and why you committed to buying the next one second? What made you buy this other 21mm long throw when already having one?)

CCCoating aka Crystal Clear Detailing INC

asap2stacks
08-27-2017, 06:16 PM

Boss G21 with orange LC thin cutting pad and menzerna 3 in 1.

I choose the G21 because of Griot's life time warranty policy on all there polishers, if it breaks you get a brand new one shipped free!

CCCoating

BudgetPlan1
08-27-2017, 07:52 PM
I pondered the whole Rupes or BOSS thing last winter. At the end of the day, the BOSS made much more practical and economic sense.

So I bought a Rupes. No regrets.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170828/bada64eb85f4406c23cd578d4b335740.jpg

Sonax Perfect Finish (among others) on yellow Rupes pad.

Sometimes ya just want what ya want, practical analysis be damned.

DaveT435
08-27-2017, 07:56 PM

I went with the Boss, although I do have a Rupes 15 Mark II. Pretty comparable machines. Two reasons first I got 15% off the Boss during an all inclusive sale, can't get that on the Rupes. The second being warranty. I only did the first cut with the 21. This BMW paint was hard. I used the Griot's white heavy cutting pad and Griot's FCC. That's my go to on hard badly swirled paint. If that doesn't do it rotary and wool.

Mike@ShineStruck
08-27-2017, 08:55 PM
Boss is more comfy
Seems to produce less heat at the backing plate
No slow start

Both have enough power at the curves once you spend enough time with machine to develope the correct technique

Rupes slightly more torque
Slow start
Slightly better imbalance so less vibration

asap2stacks
08-28-2017, 02:37 AM
Boss is more comfy
Seems to produce less heat at the backing plate
No slow start

Both have enough power at the curves once you spend enough time with machine to develope the correct technique

Rupes slightly more torque
Slow start
Slightly better imbalance so less vibration

Yea I hear they do have slow starts, isn't that why people started modding them with washers?

CCCoating

TMQ
08-28-2017, 04:56 AM
Yea I hear they do have slow starts, isn't that why people started modding them with washers?

CCCoating

No...

Tom

WaxMaster1
08-28-2017, 07:50 AM

CCCoating

I'll actually answer the question. The washer mod moves the backing plate off the rubber shroud so it free spins and has zero drag. Theoretically producing more efficient correction.

Mike@ShineStruck
08-28-2017, 08:06 AM
And slow start is for protection for the machine
But Rupes slow start is a tad to slow for me where other slow starts arnt really noticeable
With that said, never had an issue with my G21

VISITOR
08-28-2017, 12:24 PM
Griots Garage BOSS G15/G21 Long-Throw Orbital Polisher Free Bonus! **LIMITED TIME PROMOTION** (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/griot-s-garage-polishers-boss-6-da-3-da/111412-griots-garage-boss-g15-g21-long-throw-orbital-polisher-free-bonus-limited-time-promotion.html)

Joe@NextLevelDetail
08-28-2017, 01:43 PM
The answer is going to be subjective.

I own all Flex, Rupes, and Boss tools.

Each tool is top notch grade-A. Every tool has their advantages and disadvantages. This question always comes up "What is the best polisher?" Instead the question should be "What is the best polisher for YOU!"

Some people will see the slow start from the Rupes at a advantage/disadvantage, Lol once again totally subjective.

The Boss is a little heavier, However has more comfortable grips than the Rupes.

The Mark 2 Has a little more power and provides approx 200-300 more OPMS at speed 6.

In my experience, One machine does not really blow one out of the water, It is complete preference. You might like the Rupes, You might like the Boss more.

One user can prioritize Comfort over anything, One user can value those couple extra hundred OPMS you get with the Mark 2.

at the end of the day, Both machine are going to give you fantastic results.

asap2stacks
08-28-2017, 05:07 PM
I'll actually answer the question. The washer mod moves the backing plate off the rubber shroud so it free spins and has zero drag. Theoretically producing more efficient correction.

Thank you for actually helping me understand that! Instead of just saying "no" lol some people on here gotta love it

CCCoating

dlc95
08-28-2017, 06:24 PM

Boss G21 with orange LC thin cutting pad and menzerna 3 in 1.

I choose the G21 because of Griot's life time warranty policy on all there polishers, if it breaks you get a brand new one shipped free!

CCCoating

For $85.00, Rupes will "tune up" your polisher.

I'm having a 21 sent to Colorado that needs new "guts". While it's not a lifetime guarantee, it's an option for those who like the Rupes line to keep their tools maintained.

I'll have to see how thorough they are. I assume they don't replace plates and shrouds, because their wear items, but a broken speed selector, and trigger? Probably.