PDA

View Full Version : Steam cleaning interior? How do you do it?

Pages : [1] 2

fightnews
08-26-2017, 07:25 AM
Im thinking of buying the steamer at HF? How do you use it for the carpets? Do you steam then vacuum? #### steps made it sound like the steamer would vacuum too? Im confused ive never done it before

dcjredline
08-26-2017, 07:55 AM
A steamer does not vacuum. It blows hot vaporized water at what you are pointing at.

GSKR
08-26-2017, 09:58 AM
I have a steamer.Great for seat tracks and carpet stains. I would not use on coated or uncoated leather.Use common sense and there will be no problems.

chet31
08-26-2017, 12:40 PM
I've never steamed anything. Do you hit some thing with steam, then wipe it with an MF?

gspam1
08-26-2017, 01:46 PM
[QUOTE=chet31;1523081]I've never steamed anything. Do you hit some thing with steam, then wipe it with an MF?[/QUOTE

Lots of videos on YouTube. The most common method for fabric or carpet is to wrap the triangle tool with a microfiber cloth and scrub with that. You could do the same on hard plastics or switch to a different head. Common sense is important, I don't go near the electronics with my steamer for example.

GSKR
08-26-2017, 05:07 PM
Im thinking of buying the steamer at HF? How do you use it for the carpets? Do you steam then vacuum? #### steps made it sound like the steamer would vacuum too? Im confused ive never done it before

Don't even waste your money on that.Literally piece of junk.Bought 2 then the 3rd one I bought the warranty for 14.00 .Now the cap is messed up and not building pressure I give up.Invest into something good if your going to use all the time.Even the attachments suck.There will be someone chiming in that its good.Believe me its not.

FUNX650
08-26-2017, 08:03 PM
A steamer does not vacuum. It blows
hot vaporized water at what you are
pointing at.
With the Bissell Symphony you can
either: vacuum and steam at the
same time; or, you can switch between
the two functions without stopping. :dblthumb2:

Bob

Calendyr
08-26-2017, 09:01 PM
I think having a steamer is a good thing. Some things can only be cleaned properly with one. But i would not use it to clean entire cars. It's really annoying to use. The steam makes it almost impossible to see anything when you are using it. Also it makes the interior of the vehicle really hot and incomfortable. So I only use mine when I have absolutelly no other choice. From your question, I think you are mistaking hot water extractors with steamers. A hot water extractor is a vacuum with a nozzle that shoots boiling hot water. While pulling the wand toward you, the hot water hits the surface right before the vacuum sucks it back into the machine, some steam is produced but it is not how it is cleaning.

Hot water extractors are very expensive, the cheapest ones are around 1000$ and decent ones are in the 2000$ range. Steamers on the other hand can be quite inexpensive, got mine for 100$. More expensive ones with offer more accessories, bigger tanks (for longer work time) and sometimes, hotter steam.

fightnews
08-31-2017, 04:51 AM
Don't even waste your money on that.Literally piece of junk.Bought 2 then the 3rd one I bought the warranty for 14.00 .Now the cap is messed up and not building pressure I give up.Invest into something good if your going to use all the time.Even the attachments suck.There will be someone chiming in that its good.Believe me its not.
I usually like to get something cheap to see if I like it enough to use it all the time.

sweatthedetails
08-31-2017, 09:54 PM
If your doing this professionally get something like a VX5000. This is a very versatile machine. To clean seats or floors just wrap the triangle head with a towel or microfiber. The steam will emulsify any soiling in the fibers and force it up into the cloth. Much faster then my extractor. I now only pull out my Mytee on truly destroyed fabrics.

DETAILROOKIE
08-31-2017, 10:49 PM
I usually like to get something cheap to see if I like it enough to use it all the time.
I do the same thing. I bought a cheap one on Amazon and love it. I do prefer my extractor for extra soiled seats and carpets, but I love the way it cleans lightly soiled fabric and hard plastics. Kind of leaves a ordorless smell to a car, good thing if the car smelled beforehand.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

asap2stacks
08-31-2017, 11:31 PM
Yet another tool where you get what you pay for but people expect the best for $150.00

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

jeff79
09-01-2017, 05:29 AM
If your doing this professionally get something like a VX5000. This is a very versatile machine. To clean seats or floors just wrap the triangle head with a towel or microfiber. The steam will emulsify any soiling in the fibers and force it up into the cloth. Much faster then my extractor. I now only pull out my Mytee on truly destroyed fabrics.

how is the VX5000 better than the McCulloch Heavy-Duty unit for $130? is the steam hotter than the cheaper unit? i understand the water tank is bigger and it will most likely last longer in the long haul but aside from that what else does it offer above and beyond the $130??

also what you using after you clean via steamer? do you use a wet/dry shop vac or just a brush and towels to clean?

TTQ B4U
09-01-2017, 06:07 AM
how is the VX5000 better than the McCulloch Heavy-Duty unit for $130? is the steam hotter than the cheaper unit? i understand the water tank is bigger and it will most likely last longer in the long haul but aside from that what else does it offer above and beyond the $130??

You can fill it faster once the initial tank is empty. On the MC1385, you have to shut the unit off and either wait to fill it, or go VERY slowly as the initial pour will gieser out of the top until the element and tank cool down suffiently before you can fully fill it. Once it is full it will take about 15 more minutes for it to heat and pressurize again. I can get 1 to 1:15 full time use out of a a 32oz full tank of distilled water. IIRC the VX will also work with tap water where the MC will require distilled.

I love my MC1385 and find it works just great for what I do which isn't focused on interiors. If I did them regularly, I'd invest in a steam extractor.

also what you using after you clean via steamer? do you use a wet/dry shop vac or just a brush and towels to clean?

My routine that I find very effective is this:

Vacuum the interior
Pre-treat an area that I will work on and complete within say 15 minutes. I use either Ultima Interior or Folex. I then use the MC1385 Steamer to help break up and emulsify any gunk and dirt. Agitate with a brush where needed; then extract with my small steam extractor filled with pure hot water and a splash of white vinegar. Where needed I will go over it again with steam and then wipe with a white terry towel. I buy bags of them for cheap and they work very well.

Again, all in all for those not focused on interiors day in and day out, it works very well and is very inexpensive to start up doing.

jeff79
09-01-2017, 06:06 PM
You can fill it faster once the initial tank is empty. On the MC1385, you have to shut the unit off and either wait to fill it, or go VERY slowly as the initial pour will gieser out of the top until the element and tank cool down suffiently before you can fully fill it. Once it is full it will take about 15 more minutes for it to heat and pressurize again. I can get 1 to 1:15 full time use out of a a 32oz full tank of distilled water. IIRC the VX will also work with tap water where the MC will require distilled.

I love my MC1385 and find it works just great for what I do which isn't focused on interiors. If I did them regularly, I'd invest in a steam extractor.

My routine that I find very effective is this:

Vacuum the interior
Pre-treat an area that I will work on and complete within say 15 minutes. I use either Ultima Interior or Folex. I then use the MC1385 Steamer to help break up and emulsify any gunk and dirt. Agitate with a brush where needed; then extract with my small steam extractor filled with pure hot water and a splash of white vinegar. Where needed I will go over it again with steam and then wipe with a white terry towel. I buy bags of them for cheap and they work very well.

Again, all in all for those not focused on interiors day in and day out, it works very well and is very inexpensive to start up doing.

what steam extractor are you using??