PDA

View Full Version : Quasi-new Detailer with a few questions

Robopredinator
08-25-2017, 10:25 PM
Firstly, anyone else's FG-400 smell like straight up gasoline? I checked the ingredients and listed is petroleum followed by a stern warning that inhalation of vapor, mist or dusting can cause damage to the central nervous system - and I'm getting a ton of dusting!! I'm loving the results I'm getting with the FG-400 but the smell and danger of using this product doesn't sit well with me.

What can I do to eliminate dusting? I'm using a PC7424 with orange LC thinpro 5.5" foam pads and using about 4 dime-sized amounts of product on roughly 2'x2' panels. (I'm surprised the finished result is a high-gloss shine despite its aggressiveness, do I bother following it up with the SF-3500/white pads?)

Just seems like I'm doing something wrong in terms of application. I tried Mike's "on-the-fly" terry cloth pad cleaning method and I'm not seeing the terry cloth picking up any product - it's still clean white. I bought 6 orange pads to correct my car so perhaps the pads aren't overly saturated?

Any help is much appreciated.

antti@561detailing
08-25-2017, 11:58 PM
Smell is bad...results are awesome...dusting...less product can help...if nothing else, upgrade to jescar macro...similar to FG400 but better

LSNAutoDetailing
08-26-2017, 12:05 AM
If your doing production detailing with compounds etc... you're going to be exposed to chemicals. A one time, once a year or even twice a year exposure probably won't hurt... but doing this day in and day out, precautions must be taken.

You could use a breather or a mask, and make sure you are in a well ventilated place. Same holds true when doing nano-glass coatings. One shouldn't be breathing the contents... that stuff is potent.

Masks, 9mm nitrile glvoes, keep an eye wash kit and first aid kit near by. I also where headphones when using the polishers as they can generate pretty good decibels.

A saying is, if it's on your skin, it's in you.

Robopredinator
08-26-2017, 12:02 PM
Smell is bad...results are awesome...dusting...less product can help...if nothing else, upgrade to jescar macro...similar to FG400 but better

Appreciate the recommendation. Just checked out Esoteric's youtube review on FG400 and he recommended the same.

Anyone in the Chicago-area interested in a brand new, 90% full, 32 oz. FG400 for 25 bucks? :D

Robopredinator
08-26-2017, 12:05 PM
If your doing production detailing with compounds etc... you're going to be exposed to chemicals. A one time, once a year or even twice a year exposure probably won't hurt... but doing this day in and day out, precautions must be taken.

You could use a breather or a mask, and make sure you are in a well ventilated place. Same holds true when doing nano-glass coatings. One shouldn't be breathing the contents... that stuff is potent.

Masks, 9mm nitrile glvoes, keep an eye wash kit and first aid kit near by. I also where headphones when using the polishers as they can generate pretty good decibels.

A saying is, if it's on your skin, it's in you.

I hear you and I'm not overly concerned since I'll detail once in a blue moon. Just curious hearing from others who use the product year-round.

chet31
08-26-2017, 12:36 PM
I doubt that anything we use is particularly safe for day after day, all day exposure. It's not just the chemicals, it's the dust. It's not just car products, it's household products too. Cleaning anything exposes us to dust and chemicals. Anyway, I use a 3M respirator for many cleaning activities with this filter, which filters dust and annoyance organics.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00328IAO0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

DaveT435
08-26-2017, 12:59 PM
Did they change the FG400 recently?? I had a bottle I probably bought a year to a year and a half ago and it wasn't anything like your describing. It has a very mild odor and definitely no dusting. It had a very long work time.

If your looking for a new compound the Griot's fast cutting cream is great. The smell is pretty mild to me. I'm not real sensitive to those kind of odors though, maybe some others will chime in about the smell of it.