PDA

View Full Version : White wall/raised white letter tires

Whipped500
08-25-2017, 08:14 PM
Have someone that restored a car over a period of about a year or so. The tires were stacked on each other laying on the sidewall. Now that the car is done, the white letters seem to be stained. Any recommendations on what to use to get them bright white again?

GSKR
08-25-2017, 08:46 PM
Lacquer thinner but its our little secret. Wash tires first then apply thinner on rag keep off the black.If not you will drag the black onto the whitewall.The best whitewall cleaner period.

FUNX650
08-25-2017, 09:02 PM
Lacquer thinner...
Yep. Good suggestion! :xyxthumbs:

But:
If that doesn't work in total removal
of the black staining...a little bit of
sanding will.

Bob

UncleDavy
08-25-2017, 09:09 PM
A Brillo or SOS pad will also work. Just make sure that you are careful to hit only the letters and rinse the tire well to clear out all of the soap. Go back and touch up with your favorite tire dressing.

Eldorado2k
08-25-2017, 10:46 PM
Magic Eraser w/diluted APC. Gets whitewalls bright white and don't have to be careful about anything.

Riff
08-25-2017, 11:21 PM
I like painting my OWL's with a paint pen. It lasts about 4 or 5 months. It's SO white when freshly painted.

https://youtu.be/d4ml1EHEVdc

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

LSNAutoDetailing
08-26-2017, 12:11 AM
0000 Steel wool, soap and some elbow grease. This was a 48 Willies Jeepster we worked on at Autogeek. The wheels cleaned up nice, but the yellow raised letter tires looked awful. We (Franks and I) grabbed some apc steel wool and went to town.

Before:

https://cache.nebula.phx3.secureserver.net/obj/NDMyMDBENDRBMDdEQzFGODRDQUY6N2U0MDAzNmVkYjkxNGNmNm ViNjYzY2Y2ZjIzOGMxOTc=?uid=fb453eaa-bad4-4284-ba30-730ff40ac443

After:

https://cache.nebula.phx3.secureserver.net/obj/NDMyMDBENDRBMDdEQzFGODRDQUY6OTU1OTQ1MDNlMTNlZmM5Mz VkN2VmMTk2MjhhZGM1MmM=?uid=b7721d77-1328-4cf0-8069-be2c296d3700

LEDetailing
08-26-2017, 05:05 AM
Such abrasive comments:)

All of these will work. Another suggestion is a green 3M scotchbrite pad with Meguiar's non acid wheel and tire cleaner. As mentioned, rinse well.

My favorite trick for cleaning super grungy wheel wells is the blue scotchbrite pads and a cleaner of your choice, Tarminator work great on super neglected wheel wells

GSKR
08-26-2017, 08:50 AM
It really comes to.the decision off how the letters look.If.there curb rushed and scuffed up abrading cleaning may not be a good suggested idea.I find lc to take off the very top layer of the white exposing new white underneath. 0000 fine steel wool works great on lettered tires.On classic with old school sidewalls lc is the best.You will need plenty of rags and make sure you dispose properly.Don't leave it in your garage get rid of it ASAP.

PouncingPanzer
08-26-2017, 08:51 AM
My '76 New Yorker had brown white walls, Tuff Shine Tire Cleaner and a mild brush liberated them.

GSKR
08-26-2017, 09:02 AM
Yep. Good suggestion! :xyxthumbs:

But:
If that doesn't work in total removal
of the black staining...a little bit of
sanding will.

Bob

If you drag black on to white just.repeat.Back in the day vinyl tops on caddy and.Lincoln were cleaned this way.I may start a whitewall cleaner line its simple and its needed.I just closed on a license deal with a coating that you spray via aerosol and snow will not stick.Made a few hundred thousand because there is nothing that's applicable for metal.If I had a sales history I could of got way more.But I have several other revolution art products in the works that solve a problem.I don't chase any waxes or compete with. Thousand other lines.I make products that solve a problem.I have one that's ready to go but intended for rv only.

GSKR
08-26-2017, 09:04 AM
It will be selling this fall for the nonstick snow.