PDA

View Full Version : Buffing question on results

TiCaLLioNStaLLyN
08-25-2017, 11:26 AM
Hey guys,

So a couple months ago I bought the boss g21 with menz 400 2500 and 3500. Two days after buying it I got called back to work and have been slammed with no free time. I finally got some to use the machine.

So I completed the first stage of compounding on the hood. Menz 400 with boss 6.5 correcting pad at speed 4-5 And it cleaned up nice but there are still quite a few micro scratches. Now one area I went over quite a bit slower than the first and noticed a difference in the reflection clarity and reduced micro scratches.

My question is, since I am doing a two stage ( regardless even if doing a single stage) on this old pathfinder ( 400 2500) is it wrong to go back over the spot with another pass or cpl passes to get the same result? In the case of a two stage would the 2500 clean that up?

I understand polish is thinning the clear coat so in my mind it wouldn't be good to go over it again with a 400 compound . If anything go to the 2500 for that spot if i was doing a single stage just to clean that isolated area up.

Remember I am new to polishing and this is my first time using it.

Attached some pics because pictures always make things more Interesting haha

Thanks for any input https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170825/236ad3c176c839af1aa9dec15b4173d7.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170825/d47cc33a294f6fced5b4e4939c5b8f53.jpg

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

LSNAutoDetailing
08-25-2017, 12:46 PM
If the first picture is the "Before" and the second picture is the "After", it looks like you got excellent results. For correction, you really need to run the machine at 6.
One thing you failed to mention, or I didn't see it in your post was the pads. What pads are you using, how often are you changing pads, and what did you do your test spot with?

Pads are an equal part of the equation. You can use a product like FG400 but the pad used will also be doing the cutting. If you did a test spot with say a BOSS orange, you may want to square off another 16"x16" section and do a test pass with the FG400 and a BOSS White Pad, and again with a BOSS MF pad on another test spot... You see, we didn't change the product, we changed the pad. The MF may leave some light marring, but that is where the polish on a polishing pad will clean that up.

Secondly, change your pads often. The pad will get bogged down with product and eventually will lose it's effectiveness. It's not uncommon to use 6-8 cutting pads on a larger vehicle.

If you compounded and polished an area and still don't get the results, it's not going to hurt to do a test spot with another pad as long as you are doing 6 section passes, slow arm movement, speed 6, in a 16"x16" area. DO NOT stay on one spot trying to get a scratch out... This is what burns clear coat...

If after all that you still see the scratch... guess what??? Live with it... There are some scratches where you will incur diminished results trying to get them out. If you have to bend over 6 ways from Sunday in just the right light to see a scratch, OCD'ism is kicking in.... Step back three feet, breath and say "that looks great!" Because that's what everyone else is going to do.... :)

Hope this helps.

TiCaLLioNStaLLyN
08-25-2017, 03:14 PM
Thanks for your informative reply, lsn

yes pics are before and after, results are great. there are some deeper scratches etc. just seems section i did go slower on etc had visually less marring behind i dont have any photos to show that on hand at work.

i accept there is stuff i will not get out as it has been neglected for years before i bought it.

i stayed at 5 as reading another post issues with some mf boss pads at higher than 4. so i was skeptical about heat genratio with pad at 6 even with prod on it. i am new [emoji14]

this 91 pathfinder is all for experimentation and i am not concerned about damaging anything. that being said i am not testing to cause damage but seeing limits i can push with certain combis and nonpressure vs light etc.

i also do not stop in one spot and will complete passes, appreciate tip.

i actually have delamination between pad and back hook after two rinses i the sink with griots micro cleaner.

I did mention I was using the boss 6.5" correcting pad, so yes the orange one.

I didn't do the whole vehicle as I was pressed for time but do have it in garage and plan on finishing tonight.

Generally I do 3-4 sections, 4 passes with a pad. Condition brush after 2 sections. I have no air. and cover full pad in product and give 1 shot of quick lube to pad and use 5 drops of comp or polish.

i will try the roof with white boss and 400. i will also try to hit section with 2500 to see how it cleans up i spot.

own boss pads 2 mf 2 white 4 orange 4 yellow 2 black getting more slowly but surely

ya my ocd is in high gear...always haha

thanks again for tips advice and any replies that may come!

TiCaLLioNStaLLyN
08-25-2017, 03:16 PM
So it's OK to go over it again just don't stay In one spot nor do not over and over, right? Also keep.a bit of common sense [emoji14]

LSNAutoDetailing
08-25-2017, 03:23 PM
So it's OK to go over it again just don't stay In one spot nor do not over and over, right? Also keep.a bit of common sense [emoji14]

Yes... perfectly fine. Remember you want to do one section, generally 16"x16" in a cross-hatch pattern with six pass.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q70g83mnTn4

TiCaLLioNStaLLyN
08-25-2017, 04:17 PM
Thanks for the video link dude!