PDA

View Full Version : disinfect interior?

Pages : [1] 2

sito
08-25-2017, 10:47 AM
what do you guys use to disinfect interior ?
do you use bleach, vinegar?
I have to clean steering wheel, door handles, shifters.

LSNAutoDetailing
08-25-2017, 12:56 PM
Steam more than likely will disinfect... A steam cleaner is an effective way for you to kill the bacteria

With that said, I would just use McKee's 37 Total Interior Cleaner. You'll be happy with the results: McKee's 37 Total Interior Cleaner cleans plastic, vinyl, leather, carpet, and upholstery without harsh solvents or caustic chemicals. (http://www.autogeek.net/dp340.html)

Eldorado2k
08-25-2017, 01:01 PM
Using steam to disinfect might be kind of risky considering it needs to be left in the same spot for 5sec. in order for steam to "disinfect"

speedaholic
08-25-2017, 01:06 PM
I have a cheap ozone generator from ebay (~70$) that does a stellar job at removing odors and killing bacteria. I put it in for an hour with a window cracked 1/2" and voilą. That and an interior cleaner and your done imo.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

hogie
08-25-2017, 01:11 PM
Or, why bother disinfecting. Different bacteria will come back to replace whatever you killed. That said I have used scrubbing bubbles on interior plastics without harming them.

Firehouse Mike
08-25-2017, 03:38 PM
I usually don't worry about disinfecting unless there is a specific area or issue. Had a BMW last week that a cat got into but couldn't get out of for a couple days. Used the right rear floor for his litter pan. Really NASTY odors there! Soaked with a commercial disinfectant (ZEP Antibacterial Disinfectant) blotted up with towle, Sprayed down with an enzymatic cleaner, extract, reapply disinfectant, extract again, ozone aimed at the area for 45 minutes, reapply disinfectant, air dry. Odor totalt gone, VERY happy customer. Don't forget yor PPE (gloves, mask, ect..)

But typical interior work, I don't worry about disinfecting.

Mike

UncleDavy
08-25-2017, 04:18 PM
I used to rent a lot of cars during business travel and the interiors were usually pretty gross. I would use Lysol disinfecting wipes on steering wheel, dashboard controls, console and door arm rest. I have never used them on a personal vehicle and I would be hesitant to use anything with bleach. I have used rubbing alcohol on my dashboard controls followed up quickly with Meguiras Interior Detailer.

Mantilgh
08-25-2017, 04:21 PM
I often wonder what the disinfecting capabilities are of various cleaners like diluted waterless/rinseless washes and APCs.

I would think most cleaners would disinfect to some extent, but is a clean surface the same as a disinfected surface?

I also "clean", but not intentionally "disinfect".

custmsprty
08-25-2017, 04:30 PM
I often wonder what the disinfecting capabilities are of various cleaners like diluted waterless/rinseless washes and APCs.

I would think most cleaners would disinfect to some extent, but is a clean surface the same as a disinfected surface?

I also "clean", but not intentionally "disinfect".

Zero.

No "cleaner" can make disinfectant claims without backing it up. And what backing it up means is it has to be registered with the EPA as a disinfectant and prove it's claims, and that costs big $$$.

I work for one of the largest distributors of cleaning chemicals in the country. I just finished attending our annual trade show with over 400 vendors in Orlando 2 hours ago. All the top chemical manufacturers were there, P & G, 3M, Clorox, SC Johnson etc. Hospitals are a huge part of our business so I regularly attend training on the newest disinfectants, kills times etc and nasty stuff I don't care to think about. LOL.

The most important part of truly disinfecting anything is contact time and the bugs you are trying to kill.

Mantilgh
08-25-2017, 04:36 PM
If someone did request it you could up charge for it.

I have done like posted above with enzyme cleaners for special situations. Two crab basket spills and pet situations.

Question, are enzyme cleaners appropriate for cleaning up vomit?

Mantilgh
08-25-2017, 04:57 PM
Zero.

I don't think it would be zero, but certainly not the 98.9% or whatever some disinfectants claim.

And I would assume a somewhat caustic APC at 10:1, or vinegar at the same would provide the common human a "clean enough" surface.

I wouldn't think a waterless or rinseless would not do much, although I wouldn't be surprised if D114 would have a reasonably high percentage if it were tested.

I'm not trying to kill Mersa here.

hogie
08-25-2017, 10:37 PM
Odoban can be used as a disinfectant and would likely be safe on car surfaces. However, I haven't tested it that way. I have used it on carpet, blankets, clothers and interior paint without any damage,

DBAILEY
08-26-2017, 01:26 AM
Spray Nine is a APC that disinfects. I have used it to kill mold in the past also.

Cleans, degreases and disinfects like a pro.
Kills viruses, bacteria and fungus fast.
Deodorizes and eliminates dirt, grime and stains.
Works on vinyl, plastic, fiberglass and stainless steel.

It is actually a fantastic APC if you've never tried. It will remove wax/sealant on exterior paint in my opinion as a prep wash.

sito
08-26-2017, 08:08 PM
Or, why bother disinfecting. Different bacteria will come back to replace whatever you killed. That said I have used scrubbing bubbles on interior plastics without harming them.

I have OCD. I can't tolerate bacteria build up during car ride. I have the urge to clean steering wheel, shifter, door handles, window buttons.
Why can't I use vinegar?

Mad Wax
08-26-2017, 10:16 PM
Spray Nine baby!