PDA

View Full Version : Can I use a plush microfiber to dry my car?

Pages : [1] 2

cheekyage
08-25-2017, 06:25 AM
Hi guys

Can I use something like the eagle edgeless 480gsm super plush microfiber towel to dry my car?

Or should I be using a waffle weave or similar drying towel?

Eldorado2k
08-25-2017, 06:40 AM
I don't own any official Beagle Edgeless towels, but from what I gather these are exactly identical to them...

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170825/372546964cd4cf0430e78e6ea6a165c9.jpg

And if that's the case, those would be the absolute last towels I would ever reach for if I needed to dry a vehicle after a bucket wash... TBO I rarely if ever use them for anything, they're sort of a big plushy mess of a towel and just the total opposite of what I look for in a microfiber towel.

But 1 thing's for sure, compared to a good 70/30 waffle weave they're pretty horrid at drying a wet surface. I'll take a Kirkland any day of the week over those beagles...

frankprozzoly
08-25-2017, 06:46 AM
I use the plush to wash and waffle or pluffle to dry. The plush is to thick to dry in my opinion

Sent from my SM-G900P using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

Eldorado2k
08-25-2017, 06:58 AM
The plush is to thick to dry in my opinion

Sent from my SM-G900P using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

Agreed, they soak up but don't absorb water like a proper drying towel does... Imagine trying to dry your vehicle with a wet mop.

DetailKitty
08-25-2017, 07:05 AM
To me a waffle is the best for drying...
I have in the past use plush microfibers if I reach for a waffle and realize they are all in the wash. But they are not a great go-to for drying.

Paul A.
08-25-2017, 08:03 AM
That's essentially what my new favorite drying towel is...The Big Blue. With a black car I love to use the drip method after a rinse and then blot with my Big Blue. My old favorite was the traditional WWMF towels and while they are super absorbent I've found the Big Blue surprised me with it's effectiveness. And no more dragging a WW across my black paint.

I would answer "yes" to your question but I would want a towel large enough to cover (blot) a lot of surface area.

FUNX650
08-25-2017, 08:08 AM
@OP:
•Try using the plush MF-towel
and see how it works out...for you.

Something to ponder:
•When removing "wetness" from
vehicles' surfaces is the goal:

-Why are Waffle-Weave MF-Towels
often deemed to be the best for
drying after a "traditional" hose
and bucket(s) car washing method...

-and, Plush(-er) MF-Towels, (such
as the ones you listed), are routinely
stated to be the best when drying
vehicles using RW/WW methods?

Bob

Eldorado2k
08-25-2017, 08:40 AM
That's essentially what my new favorite drying towel is...The Big Blue. With a black car I love to use the drip method after a rinse and then blot with my Big Blue. My old favorite was the traditional WWMF towels and while they are super absorbent I've found the Big Blue surprised me with it's effectiveness. And no more dragging a WW across my black paint.

I would answer "yes" to your question but I would want a towel large enough to cover (blot) a lot of surface area.

The Big Blue and the Beagle Edgeless towels are not created equal.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170825/892f8be9d30b76d6c98060769c70f9f6.jpg

The Big Blue absorbs and holds onto water, the beagle becomes saturated the moment it comes in contact with more liquid than a normL spray bottle produces and quikly becomes useless for drying.

Try putting both towels into a bucket of water, pull them out and you'll see the huge difference in how they react.

Paul A.
08-25-2017, 08:48 AM
Thanks Eldo, difference noted. Good point. I understand your point as well. It feels almost like the Big Blue is 2 super absorbent plush towels mated together.

Eldorado2k
08-25-2017, 08:51 AM
Just because a microfiber towel is plush doesn't mean it'll be good for drying.. It's best to shop smart and choose towels that are dedicated to do the task you need them to do..

Take this CG Orange Fatty for example:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170825/a71effa3645780df93181481a6bc8a4c.jpg

It's plush yet doesn't suffer like most plush towels when it comes to drying because it's specifically made for drying. It works completely different than the Beagle Edgeless. That orange towel is pretty phenomenal.. I can waterless wash an entire small vehicle including drying with just that 1 towel. Try that with a Beagle. Lol.

cheekyage
08-25-2017, 09:09 AM
Can you pass on some links for your go-to drying towels?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Eldorado2k
08-25-2017, 09:31 AM
Can you pass on some links for your go-to drying towels?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For the super pampered treatment after a bucket wash: Large Big Blue Towel. [I pretty much only use that towel on the new Kia that's parked outside. Then it goes back into its drawer to stay clean]

Knock off Griots PFM large drying towels. These work pretty great. A step above waffle weaves in regards to being able to go further.

Waffle weaves are great and I don't think I'll ever ditch them. I try and keep mostly 70/30 blend drying towels. IMO CG sells the best ones and it's the only thing I buy from them. The Gray Matter large towels are the absolute best glass towels I've ever used by far. NormL lesser quality waffle weaves don't compare when it comes to cleaning windows. They're also great on paint.

CG Orange Fatty and pretty much all their dedicated drying towels are very very good. Great for waterless washing too.

Cobra waffle weaves are very good for drying paint. [green 1] The only knock is that it's somewhat of an odd sized narrow towel.

Meguiars Water Magnets are great for using to dry the bottom portions of the vehicle and grills. They're also great for spot check when using the Metro Sidekick after a wash to dry around emblems and mirrors etc. because they're nice and small and very easy to work with.

I also have other waffle weaves such as the California Waffle weave [the white towel] and similar comparable waffle weaves, but they aren't made of the same quality as the ones I mentioned and are a big step below when it comes to everything they do. They're 80/20 blend and I only use them when my good drying towels are all dirty.

IMO the Beagle Edgeless towels are the single biggest overrated product in the world of detailing today. I think I should just let my cat have them already because I never use them anyways. Lol. [emoji14]

Mike Phillips
08-25-2017, 10:13 AM
Just to chime in...

Microfiber products with a flat weave like the Guzzler Waffle Weave Drying towel are normally pretty safe for drying cars because of the FLAT weave.

Abrasive particles don't really have anywhere to LODGE into loose fibers since there are no loose fibers.

If you are going to use any type of towel with a NAP, closed loops or open loops of fiber, then inspect them first.

Probably the most valuable article and video I've ever made as far as helping others to avoid stupid mistakes and keeping their car's paint looking great!

How, why & when to inspect your microfiber towels when detailing cars (http://tinyurl.com/ya8l4k4s)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZD5KEkIJII

And the above is just the video, click the link and READ the entire article.

:)

TTQ B4U
08-25-2017, 07:37 PM
You can use them but his other stated they will not dry as well it is a waffle weave. They also may be prone to leaving lint on dark colors. Ask me how I know. Haha. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

asap2stacks
08-25-2017, 09:58 PM
I stay away from anything over 350 gsm when it comes to drying or removing polish and here is why I do so, the fibers on these towels that are over 350 gsm are too plush and dirt/tar or polish/wax just gets all caught up in the fibers and locks inside of the towel an just gets to the point where your just pushing around whatever you picked up an becomes a huge mess!

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline