PDA

View Full Version : Is it really a waste to put wax over AIO?

duffthebluff
08-23-2017, 05:07 PM
On my client's car, I only do AIO. But on my car, I always put Collinite on top of HD Speed. It makes me feel that the wax just stays on there for months to come. What are your thoughts on this?

Sent from my Lenovo PB1-750M using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

Rsurfer
08-23-2017, 05:12 PM
Don't know, I use coatings.

Just noticed your in the Philippines..any coatings available in the Philippines?

Kamakaz1961
08-23-2017, 05:24 PM
I don't know about AIO as I do not use it. However, I do something similar an put a wax over a sealant. I just recently did that to my ride.

Mantilgh
08-23-2017, 05:43 PM
If I do an AIO to a vehicle I will top it the next time I wash it.

This is for my and my customers vehicles, and my relatives car that I maintain.

Most likely Optimum Poli-Seal, followed up with Opti-Seal on the next visit, then usually Optimum Car Wax.

Avgguy
08-23-2017, 05:45 PM
On my client's car, I only do AIO. But on my car, I always put Collinite on top of HD Speed. It makes me feel that the wax just stays on there for months to come. What are your thoughts on this?

Sent from my Lenovo PB1-750M using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

I do the same thing. HD Speed is a money maker but it seems the protection lasts for weeks, not really months. With Collinte 845 on top of it..... several months.... 4-5, obviously dependent on several things.

PaulMys
08-23-2017, 05:46 PM
Not a waste at all. In fact, I have been topping Speed with 845 for quite a while now.

Love this combo. With maintenance, this combo will last about 9 months for me here in NY.

mengelhardt
08-23-2017, 06:09 PM
Not really a waste but if the top coating you are applying has any kind of solvents in it, then it is more than likely removing the initial protection left behind by the AIO as you apply it.

At that point I would question why I'm using an AIO and then turning it into a 2 step process. Instead I would use something that offered better correction than an AIO and then top it with the LSP of choice for the protection. Wouldn't that offer a better outcome? Better correction and better protection than a typical AIO?

PaulMys
08-23-2017, 06:17 PM
Not really a waste but if the top coating you are applying has any kind of solvents in it, then it is more than likely removing the initial protection left behind by the AIO as you apply it.

At that point I would question why I'm using an AIO and then turning it into a 2 step process. Instead I would use something that offered better correction than an AIO and then top it with the LSP of choice for the protection. Wouldn't that offer a better outcome? Better correction and better protection than a typical AIO?

Very valid point.

But here is my reasoning for using HD Speed instead of a dedicated polish:

I never need much correction (although you might be surprised at Speed's correction ability).

Speed is an absolute DREAM to work with. (can be used in the sun, almost zero dusting, effortless removal, smells great).

And lastly, I figure with a product this good, why not add a little more protection while performing the correction process?

JMO.

mengelhardt
08-23-2017, 06:22 PM
I never need much correction (although you might be surprised at Speed's correction ability).

Speed is an absolute DREAM to work with. (can be used in the sun, almost zero dusting, effortless removal, smells great).

That's also a valid point.

If speed is doing the job, then no need to use something more aggressive.
I wasn't trying to talk anybody out of using HD speed.

FUNX650
08-23-2017, 06:43 PM
•Regardless the circumstances:
-I leave it up to each individual
person to determine what they
consider to really be a waste.

Bob

Route246
08-23-2017, 06:53 PM
Not a waste on your own car. I don't believe that you can have too many layers. These layers are not like paint.

I use McKee's 360 AIO topped with 476s and then weekly topped with Optimum spray wax. I would never do this if I were detailing for money. It is just a hobby for me and done for my satisfaction only.

duffthebluff
08-23-2017, 07:24 PM
Don't know, I use coatings.

Just noticed your in the Philippines..any coatings available in the Philippines?
Yeah there are a number of coatings now popping up in the market. You just need to know where to get them.

duffthebluff
08-23-2017, 07:25 PM
I do the same thing. HD Speed is a money maker but it seems the protection lasts for weeks, not really months. With Collinte 845 on top of it..... several months.... 4-5, obviously dependent on several things.
Exactly why I top HD Speed with 845