PDA

View Full Version : KSG Question

macconinc
01-10-2008, 02:51 PM
I'm new to the world of orbital buffers. I'm attempting to apply KSG with my UDM with a DAS finishing pad. How much KSG should I use at one time and how much area does it cover ? What speed should i use on the UDM ?

Thanks for the help......

raddogz
01-10-2008, 03:25 PM
I do not have a UDM, but have tried it on a PC. You use very very little (6.5 CCS pad). I think I used approximately a dime sized portion and it covered the hood of my 4Runner nicely and then some.

It has to go on extremely thin.

You may also try the wipe on wipe off method (I am waiting for it to stop raining in Northern Cali so I can try it)

macconinc
01-10-2008, 04:04 PM
Thanks RADDOGZ.....I assume 6.5 is the speed on your PC ? I'm not sure the UDM goes that high, but I'll check.

From your reply, I see where I made my mistake. A dime size is pretty small and to cover an entire hood......wow.

I assume I use the UDM long enough to get the KSG really thin ?????

:cruisin:

raddogz
01-10-2008, 04:10 PM
I belive I went lower around 4 or 5.

Yep, a little goes a very very long way.

The first time I bought this stuff I put it on my Runner (about seven years ago), I didn't know that thin meant thin. I had a heck of a time getting it off, and it wasn't until I learned about claying a few years back was I able to get the stuff off. At the time I applied by hand and of course had the mentality more is better.

If KSG goes on thick you'll have a hard time getting off.

ScottB
01-10-2008, 05:34 PM
KSG is very, very finicky. I highly suggest moving to hand versus machine application. Removal is your choice. I have found that a small travel size spray bottle and one spritz per panel with immediate removal by buffing is the best idea.

macconinc
01-10-2008, 07:48 PM
I'm guessing, from your reply and suggestions, I can apply it similar to a "quick detailing" product ? Spay it on and wipe it throughly ? How much pressure should I use applying it and does it have to be in a circular motion ?

Im the MAN

Tonya
01-10-2008, 09:16 PM
I'm guessing, from your reply and suggestions, I can apply it similar to a "quick detailing" product ? Spay it on and wipe it throughly ? How much pressure should I use applying it and does it have to be in a circular motion ?

Im the MAN
Very little presure is needed when applying this way. I used two layers with a 12 hour cure time between layers. I applied one layer horizontal and the other vertical. I did two layers just to ensure coverage. Yes just as he said WOWO. Very little product is needed... a little goes a long way!

raddogz
01-14-2008, 02:13 PM
Fwiw, I just did this on my truck this weekend and it worked out very well, except my little sprayer conked out on me. I wound up just using the product on a damp microfiber to help spread it on and wiping it off.

I love this method, I've neglected using the SG because it was such a pain to use in the past.

Bert31
01-14-2008, 02:24 PM
Thanks RADDOGZ.....I assume 6.5 is the speed on your PC ? I'm not sure the UDM goes that high, but I'll check.

From your reply, I see where I made my mistake. A dime size is pretty small and to cover an entire hood......wow.

I assume I use the UDM long enough to get the KSG really thin ?????

:cruisin:

I assume 6.5 is the size of the pad he is using to apply the product.

ScottB
01-14-2008, 07:09 PM
Fwiw, I just did this on my truck this weekend and it worked out very well, except my little sprayer conked out on me. I wound up just using the product on a damp microfiber to help spread it on and wiping it off.

I love this method, I've neglected using the SG because it was such a pain to use in the past.

remember true paint sealants DONT like water and should cure for 12 hours as possible.

supercharged
01-14-2008, 07:35 PM
KSG is very, very finicky. I highly suggest moving to hand versus machine application. Removal is your choice. I have found that a small travel size spray bottle and one spritz per panel with immediate removal by buffing is the best idea.
:iagree::whs::goodpost:
don't even bother applying it with a PC.