PDA

View Full Version : Pear seeds?!?

irvsmith
08-20-2017, 10:14 AM
My car was parked under a pear tree and some seeds of sorts landed on the paint. The red innards of these seeds heavily embedded in the clear coat and it would not budge with several washes. I even tried a mild polish and with heavy pressure I could get some of it but instead of removing a lot of CC I opted to use magic eraser. Since it is silver the visual effects are pretty minimal.

I would have tried clay but couldn't find mine but given the stubbornness of this stuff I don't think it would have worked.

Input?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RippyD
08-20-2017, 11:32 AM
Magic eraser is an abrasive. I'm not sure how coarse it is - I would guess about the same as 2000 grit sandpaper. If you use magic eraser you leave scratches and will need to follow up with an aggressive compound/pad to remove them, and then maybe a polish depending on the paint and color. You may even need a finer grit of sandpaper to get rid of Magic Eraser scratches - not sure.

If you haven't taken melamine to it yet (I hope you haven't) try and fine polish or paint cleaner product on a small spot by hand. If polish didn't work try a compound. A magic eraser is going to leave scratches.

irvsmith
08-20-2017, 01:17 PM
Magic eraser is an abrasive. I'm not sure how coarse it is - I would guess about the same as 2000 grit sandpaper. If you use magic eraser you leave scratches and will need to follow up with an aggressive compound/pad to remove them, and then maybe a polish depending on the paint and color. You may even need a finer grit of sandpaper to get rid of Magic Eraser scratches - not sure.

If you haven't taken melamine to it yet (I hope you haven't) try and fine polish or paint cleaner product on a small spot by hand. If polish didn't work try a compound. A magic eraser is going to leave scratches.

I think you are correct. I am certain it left some scratches but I tell you, at least in comparison to my black SUV the scratches are tough to see even in the sunlight. I was expecting to follow up with a compound session at some point but at least I am not staring that those red splats all over the CC.

Dhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170820/af498d905f1ae526ae29906b5b052758.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fly07sti
08-20-2017, 03:58 PM
Do you have any pics? I think I know how the marks look. If they are what I suspect, clay and some pressure will remove them.