PDA

View Full Version : How much clay?

Pages : [1] 2

Bhoppy1216
08-18-2017, 06:26 PM
I am slowly gathering supplies to do a full mutli-step process on my 2006 Scion, and I had a question about clay kits. When claying the car do you just use one whole bar and keep folding it in, or do you break off a piece and flatten that piece out? Thanks so much. Wanna get the most out of the two bars since 20 bucks is kinda expensive to use it ineffectively.

PaulMys
08-18-2017, 06:41 PM
Back when I used traditional clay, I'd flatten out a whole bar and keep folding it.

But then again, I was going over a full-sized truck.

KirkH
08-18-2017, 06:47 PM
How rich are you? If you are Dr. Moneybags, use a big palm sized piece. If not half your palm should suffice.

Bhoppy1216
08-18-2017, 06:51 PM
How rich are you? If you are Dr. Moneybags, use a big palm sized piece. If not half your palm should suffice.

I am "please let payday come closer" lol so I will just break off a half palm sized piece and work from there.

PaulMys
08-18-2017, 06:54 PM

Lol

I only used the clay once a year. So a Megs kit at about $20 would last me 2 years.

I don't classify 10 bucks a year as over-spending. ;)

Bhoppy1216
08-18-2017, 07:00 PM
Back when I used traditional clay, I'd flatten out a whole bar and keep folding it.

But then again, I was going over a full-sized truck.

What new fandangled device do you use now?

AutoScrub
08-18-2017, 07:29 PM
I break approximately an 80-100g bar into three pieces and flatten it out into a circular disk just covering my finger tips. Depending on the level of contamination of the paint you you should be able to get multiple uses out of each piece. Common sense still applies, if the clay surface is dirty, fold into itself to a clean side, and if a clean side cannot be made use a new piece of clay for the paint. With that being said I don't throw those pieces away, I still use them for glass, and wheels off wheel detailing such as the inside of the barrel. Good luck trying clay! its a must for a complete detail and be sure to use decent amount of clay lube!

Paul A.
08-18-2017, 07:44 PM
I use to break up one large bar into 3-4 pieces. Helps to have another fresh piece if you drop the one you're working with. I'm solely using a Nanoskin mitt now but still have some clay for wheels.

PaulMys
08-18-2017, 07:47 PM
What new fandangled device do you use now?

I bought a clay mitt & sponge. 20X quicker than clay.

Bhoppy1216
08-18-2017, 08:15 PM
I bought a clay mitt & sponge. 20X quicker than clay.

Can I get a link? That sounds interesting, would love to check it out.

Paul A.
08-18-2017, 08:27 PM
Paul mentioned my reason for going with the Nanoskin...much quicker. This is the one I use:

Nanoskin AutoScrub Medium Grade Wash Mitt (http://www.autogeek.net/nanoskin-autoscrub-wash-mitt-medium-grade.html)

Bhoppy1216
08-18-2017, 08:30 PM
Paul mentioned my reason for going with the Nanoskin...much quicker. This is the one I use:

Nanoskin AutoScrub Medium Grade Wash Mitt (http://www.autogeek.net/nanoskin-autoscrub-wash-mitt-medium-grade.html)

So you just use this to wash the car and it just cleans and clays at the same time?

AutoScrub
08-18-2017, 08:32 PM
I also use the nanoskin autoscrub sponge and DA pad, however I think we can all agree that it doesn't eliminate the use a of traditional clay.

PaulMys
08-18-2017, 08:46 PM
I also use the nanoskin autoscrub sponge and DA pad, however I think we can all agree that it doesn't eliminate the use a of traditional clay.

I disagree. I found them to be every bit as effective as clay.

JMO

Paul A.
08-18-2017, 08:48 PM
So you just use this to wash the car and it just cleans and clays at the same time?

Not really. I wash first with my foam gun and regular mitt. I then usually Iron X or BDX for iron removal. Then i soap sections up again with my foam gun and use the Nanoskin mitt to "clay". Fully rinse and dry and then machine work.