PDA

View Full Version : Pad cleaning on the fly...

Whipped500
08-18-2017, 04:24 PM
Brush, compressed air, terry cloth

Which method works best for you at getting some extra/longer use out of a pad during use?

Do you think any of the above methods shortens the life of a pad?

polishdoc
08-18-2017, 04:37 PM
Yes they do, using a Universal Pad Washer or System 3000 by Lake Country Mfg will lenthen the durability of your pads!

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

derass
08-18-2017, 04:41 PM
I use Mike's terry cloth method. I like it because it's cheap, easy, fast and effective. I don't have enough experience to comment about the effect on pad life though.

But I do have one piece of advice, wash new terry clothes before using them to clean on the fly. They can be full of lint / fibers that will fly all over your work area when you put the towel to the pad / buffer. Those fibers can then land on the car's paint or get stuck to the pad. You don't want to risk those fibers getting in between the pad and paint while working and causing scratches.

polishdoc
08-18-2017, 04:43 PM
Interesting!

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

TMQ
08-18-2017, 07:18 PM
I love air...!

Tom

SKorch630
08-19-2017, 08:28 AM
I use brush/air on the fly. Usually have air running anyway, so it takes me a couple more seconds to blow it out after I brush.

Eldorado2k
08-19-2017, 08:37 AM
But I do have one piece of advice, wash new terry clothes before using them to clean on the fly. They can be full of lint / fibers that will fly all over your work area when you put the towel to the pad / buffer.

That's why I use the towel 1st, and then a quik cleaning with the brush. Finishes it up + removes any lint from the towel.

I've used compressed air to clean on the fly and it's the best way.. But I don't have my own compressor.

Whipped500
08-19-2017, 07:09 PM
Sounds like all preference so far. A pad washer isn't in the books right now, that why I asked about air, towel, brush. I'm trying to build my pad collection up but at the time trying to learn what works best? Also, wasn't sure if a certain method worked but shortened the life of a pad?

mwoywod
08-19-2017, 07:35 PM
Compressed air only for me. It's amazing how much more residue is removed compared to other methods. I can't imagine trying to effectively use a microfiber cutting pad without compressed air. I honestly think if you have a decent blow gun (I really like the blue one sold by capri tools) even a cheap pancake compressor would suffice in a pinch.