PDA

View Full Version : Oxidation or Clearcoat Failure?

bigred2712
08-18-2017, 04:15 PM
imgur
(https://imgur.com/gallery/OMJP2)
I assume this is clearcoat failure. It's 8 years old. The first 4 years I waxed monthly. The last 4 I've been worse, maybe every 3 months. The car is always outside. Should I be worried or does it just need compound and polish? I should add the car has some tree pollen on it in the pictures. I tried to dust it a bit but it hasn't been washed in two weeks. I can't afford a respray if it is clear coat failure. Should I just wash wax and sealant?

Cruzscarwash
08-18-2017, 04:18 PM
I don't know why but I can't make the pictures any bigger so from what I can see it looks like it's oxidized unless it's starting to Bubble and Peele

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

Aaryn NZ
08-18-2017, 04:21 PM
It looks more like oxidation to me. An AIO should deal with that okay.

Aaryn NZ. :dblthumb2:

polishdoc
08-18-2017, 04:56 PM
imgur
(https://imgur.com/gallery/OMJP2)
I assume this is clearcoat failure. It's 8 years old. The first 4 years I waxed monthly. The last 4 I've been worse, maybe every 3 months. The car is always outside. Should I be worried or does it just need compound and polish? I should add the car has some tree pollen on it in the pictures. I tried to dust it a bit but it hasn't been washed in two weeks. I can't afford a respray if it is clear coat failure. Should I just wash wax and sealant?That's the beginning of clear coat failure . A wax will do nothing to protect the ravaging effects of weather it would need clear coat reapplied or a repaint job !
How do I know this it happened to my Mercedes Benz Vito Van .
I polished it with fine abrasives to remove that unsightly appearence it helped for a while especially after applying a coating to prolong the durability. But eventually it failed !
I will need to get the whole roof repainted! Hope this advice helps and you don't end up like me having to repaint the whole roof🤤

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Rsurfer
08-18-2017, 05:17 PM
That's the beginning of clear coat failure . A wax will do nothing to protect the ravaging effects of weather it would need clear coat reapplied or a repaint job !
I polished it with fine abrasives to remove that unsightly appearence it helped for a while especially after applying a coating to prolong the durability. But eventually it failed !
I will need to get the whole roof repainted! Hope this advice helps and you don't end up like me having to repaint the whole roof��

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk:iagree:

bigred2712
08-18-2017, 06:06 PM
Thanks for the replies. Seems like there's a difference in opinion here. If it is clearcoat failure, will this prevent a sealant from being affective? And can I stop it from getting worse? If it would help you guys, I can take more pictures after I wash it tomorrow.

bigred2712
08-18-2017, 06:40 PM
That's the beginning of clear coat failure . A wax will do nothing to protect the ravaging effects of weather it would need clear coat reapplied or a repaint job !
I will need to get the whole roof repainted! Hope this advice helps and you don't end up like me having to repaint the whole roof��

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

I'm a little unclear. So most likely even if Im on top of it all the time with sealant/wax, it will still fail eventually?

Rsurfer
08-18-2017, 06:59 PM
I'm a little unclear. So most likely even if Im on top of it all the time with sealant/wax, it will still fail eventually?

Yes, clear coat failure is like cancer. You can slow it down, but eventually you will need to repaint.

bigred2712
08-19-2017, 01:17 AM
Yes, clear coat failure is like cancer. You can slow it down, but eventually you will need to repaint.

Got it. Thanks.

fightnews
08-19-2017, 04:09 AM
what kind of car is it that it failed in 8 years even though you waxed it once every 1-3 months? that just doesnt seem right.

Assuming it is clear failure, IDK if it is or not.

bigred2712
08-20-2017, 04:28 PM
what kind of car is it that it failed in 8 years even though you waxed it once every 1-3 months? that just doesnt seem right.

Assuming it is clear failure, IDK if it is or not.

That's the part that drives me nuts. Its an 09 ford escape xlt. I haven't been as good as I could be with the paint, but I still waxed it quite a lot, more than most. It looks worse than many other cars I've seen that have been neglected. The rear part of the roof actually has some flaking, near the tailgate. I think maybe the paint was put on too thin.

Rsurfer
08-20-2017, 04:34 PM
That's the part that drives me nuts. Its an 09 ford escape xlt. I haven't been as good as I could be with the paint, but I still waxed it quite a lot, more than most. It looks worse than many other cars I've seen that have been neglected. The rear part of the roof actually has some flaking, near the tailgate. I think maybe the paint was put on too thin.

If the roof is flaking, it's clear coat failure.

bigred2712
08-20-2017, 05:01 PM
If the roof is flaking, it's clear coat failure.

The flaking is on the edge, where the roof and tailgate meet., it is two uniform half inch deep, 1 inch wide sections which line up perfectly where the tailgate hinges are, and the flaking happened years ago, before there was any noticable problem with the clearcoat. The flaking never got worse, oddly.

DavidAl
08-20-2017, 05:18 PM
That looks like the top of a Jeep Patriot.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline