PDA

View Full Version : Tierd of being called a "car washer".

Pages : [1] 2

Thejoyofdriving
01-07-2008, 01:59 AM
Im sure other detailers have ran into this one before. Your talking to someone and some where along the way they ask what you do for a job, and you reply oh, i detail cars. So they go oh, okay, your a car washer. You try to explain that detailing is really a highly skilled job and that there is a lot more to it than just "washing a car". It really bothers me,most of these people ignorant and they dont want to listen and they make some smart remark like, oh of course theres more to it, you have to wax too. Just felt i had to vent and was wondering what you guys thought of this.

sparkie
01-07-2008, 05:26 AM
Yep they are out there, what can you do...Here is what I get a kick out of. I give a price around 200 to 300 for a full detail, and they say I can go down town and get one for 40 bucks. I guess I'm a smart a$$ and tell them you better jump on that. :D

supercharged
01-07-2008, 08:08 AM
Yep they are out there, what can you do...Here is what I get a kick out of. I give a price around 200 to 300 for a full detail, and they say I can go down town and get one for 40 bucks. I guess I'm a smart a$$ and tell them you better jump on that. :D
for $40 they are only getting turtle wax spray wax!!!:D

Jrgs-r
01-07-2008, 09:11 AM

:iagree::cheers: nice answer

ZoranC
01-07-2008, 02:26 PM
Im sure other detailers have ran into this one before. Your talking to someone and some where along the way they ask what you do for a job, and you reply oh, i detail cars. So they go oh, okay, your a car washer. You try to explain that detailing is really a highly skilled job and that there is a lot more to it than just "washing a car". It really bothers me ...
I bet. Just like I am sure it bothers professional detailers when car washers call themselves detailers.

bfowkes
01-07-2008, 02:41 PM
I am not detailing full time yet but yes I have gotten this a few times. My best one though is a guy down the street from me. He drives a nice Benz (not sure which one) I told him a price and he started laughing at me and said he could go get everything done at the local drive threw car wash for $30. I then responded with the statement "Your going to go pay the local drive threw place $30 to scratch your car for ya"? I ended up doing his car last week after I showed him all the stuff that the drive threw place did to his paint.

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
01-07-2008, 02:51 PM
I have yet to be called a "car washer".......

I suppose it may be the way I present myself and the clients I seek..

I am lucky that this is not my #1 source of $ and as such I can almost hand pick my customers...

supercharged
01-07-2008, 05:57 PM
Im sure other detailers have ran into this one before. Your talking to someone and some where along the way they ask what you do for a job, and you reply oh, i detail cars. So they go oh, okay, your a car washer. You try to explain that detailing is really a highly skilled job and that there is a lot more to it than just "washing a car". It really bothers me,most of these people ignorant and they dont want to listen and they make some smart remark like, oh of course theres more to it, you have to wax too. Just felt i had to vent and was wondering what you guys thought of this.
Why don't you show them a couple of Paul Dalton's videos...

HighEndDetail
01-07-2008, 06:14 PM
Never been called a car washer here.

ss-truck
01-07-2008, 11:19 PM
Years ago when working as a mechanic in several dealerships and making a pretty good living , I had a couple of people call me a grease monkey . They were very quickly corrected and sometimes not very politely .

Thejoyofdriving
01-08-2008, 01:53 AM
I have yet to be called a "car washer".......

I suppose it may be the way I present myself and the clients I seek..

I am lucky that this is not my #1 source of $ and as such I can almost hand pick my customers...

Oh i have never been called a car washer by one of my clients, most of the guys i deal with are CEO's of company's or they hold some other well respected position. Also i dont deal with lower end vehicles, usually im doing a Ferrari, BMW, Mercedes ect. so need less to say these guys that i work for are smart intelligent people. Its the ignorant not so smart people out there that i encounter in everyday life that i am having this problem with. In the end it doesnt really matter what they say but, ya, i take pride in my work, and i feel that being called a car washer is a sort of way to demoting me to one of those guys at a drive through car wash that dont know what they are doing.

ryandamartini
01-09-2008, 03:31 PM
I always make a point to say to customers when they ask why Im not rushing through, Sir or Mam, I am a car detailer, I take pride and care in every part of your vehicle where I try my hardest to restore it to new.

If you want a wash that will swirl up and put minerals on your paint and miss all those spots I get in the interior, then you can drive down the road.

lethalxls1
01-09-2008, 04:10 PM
Oh i have never been called a car washer by one of my clients, most of the guys i deal with are CEO's of company's or they hold some other well respected position. Also i dont deal with lower end vehicles, usually im doing a Ferrari, BMW, Mercedes ect. so need less to say these guys that i work for are smart intelligent people. Its the ignorant not so smart people out there that i encounter in everyday life that i am having this problem with. In the end it doesnt really matter what they say but, ya, i take pride in my work, and i feel that being called a car washer is a sort of way to demoting me to one of those guys at a drive through car wash that dont know what they are doing.

They might not say it-but they are thinkin it. Its the same for every "trade" that doesnt require a formal education- people put you in a general category. For instance-carpenters- just like detailers- get a bad rap because of so many "wannabes" that say they are carpenters when in reality they are drunks that carry wood or drive a nail- unlike a real carpenter who can build a beautiful oak staircase, or read plans and build intricat roof systems on multi million dollar homes. Its very similar.

makdaddy626
01-09-2008, 04:52 PM
They might not say it-but they are thinkin it. Its the same for every "trade" that doesnt require a formal education- people put you in a general category. For instance-carpenters- just like detailers- get a bad rap because of so many "wannabes" that say they are carpenters when in reality they are drunks that carry wood or drive a nail- unlike a real carpenter who can build a beautiful oak staircase, or read plans and build intricat roof systems on multi million dollar homes. Its very similar.

The same is true of professions requiring formal education as well... an oral surgeon will at some time be referred to as a "dentist", a nurse practitioner gets called a "nurse", the CFO of a corporation will get called an "accountant" etc., etc,. etc., as a general rule, people want to reduce things to their least common denominator and rarely mean to be insulting... I'm not saying it's not insulting, just that usually, no harm is intended.

lethalxls1
01-09-2008, 05:08 PM
^ yeah but there is a big differance in being called a dentist when you are a oral surgeon then being called a grease monkey when you are a mechanic.