PDA

View Full Version : Nasty overspray on power stroke truck...

Pages : [1] 2

time-2-shine
01-05-2008, 10:36 PM
Ok well i have a Ford Power Stroke to do next saturday.. Some how the entire black truck has white over spray on it... What do you guys recomend to get this off... I was thinking to do it like this ... Wash, clay, polish, glaze, wax... Makeing the clay my #1 choice for the overspray removal...I am looking for recomendations on this one though.. I have handeled overspray problems in the past but nothing to this extent... I am also considering to buy the pad that the clay fits inside of for the 7424... Anyone have experince with this pad is it worth the money ? Will it save me time?

Thanks...Feed back please

StephenK
01-05-2008, 11:29 PM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-forum/11380-clay-question.html

this is the response i got back when asking about the clay pad.

as for the overspray. i am guessing it is paint overspray. with it being all over the truck claying it is gonna take alot of time but it should work. since it is such a big area you could try something like SURF CITY GARAGE ROAD TRIP GRIME DESTROYER Surf City Garage Road Trip Grime Destroyer (http://www.autogeek.net/surf-city-garage-road-trip-grime-destroyer.html)

time-2-shine
01-05-2008, 11:43 PM
Thanks for the reply... Yes it is paint overspray... I guess he had a fued with a neighbor and the guy sprayed spray paint in the wind to get on his truck.. Anyways thanks for the reply ... Have you ever used this surf city product on overspray...? If so how did you do it?

TIKI_AL
01-05-2008, 11:53 PM
man, that one cruel neighbor, good luck.

budman3
01-05-2008, 11:57 PM
You may want to use a paint cleaner before you do any corrective polishing as well... do a wash, (surf city grime), clay, paint cleaner, polish, glaze (if appropriate), LSP.

Check out my post here where I tried clay on overspray but then switched to Poorboy's Pro Polish: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-university/8175-scrap-hood-wetsanding.html#post117794. I'm glad to hear that it is household paint overspray, a LOT better than road line paint overspray.

StephenK
01-05-2008, 11:59 PM
never uesed it on overspray. i have actually only used it 1 time on some wheels. it is thick,gel like, only about 3-4 sprays per wheel then used a wheel brush, after getting the bristles wet to help spread it, let it sit for about 3-5 minutes then hosed off. here is a post where it was used to remove tar from a white escalade http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/8997-surf-city-mini-review-06-cadillac-suv.html

lethalxls1
01-06-2008, 01:45 AM
If my neighbor ever did some BS like that it would be go time-no question.

ss-truck
01-06-2008, 01:06 PM
Lethal I with you on that one , but I know my temper and would get in trouble bad . So on one side of my back yard I have an 8' high wood fence and the other side has 6' high wood fence soon to be replaced with 8' .

Smokin
01-06-2008, 05:29 PM
Nobody can see at NIGHT...

time-2-shine
01-06-2008, 07:27 PM
You may want to use a paint cleaner before you do any corrective polishing as well... do a wash, (surf city grime), clay, paint cleaner, polish, glaze (if appropriate), LSP.

Check out my post here where I tried clay on overspray but then switched to Poorboy's Pro Polish: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-university/8175-scrap-hood-wetsanding.html#post117794. I'm glad to hear that it is household paint overspray, a LOT better than road line paint overspray.

Very good post... What paint cleaner and or polish would you recomend? I see that you used poor boys PP ... Did that seem to take the paint off relativeley easy? If so how would you recomend going about this job? And would you use the 7424 with the Pro Polish or do it by hand.... Sorry for all the questions but i just dont want to get to this job without a game plan. I also have to place my order soon to have it here for Saturday.... How about poor boys world polish blue ? It they say to use it for paint overspray but i am just trying to see if anyone has tried this product for this use?

time-2-shine
01-07-2008, 04:46 PM
bump... Looking for input or people that have had the same situation...

budman3
01-07-2008, 06:09 PM
Hi sorry for the late reply. You can use the Pro Polish by hand or macine. The machine will likely do the job a lot faster but you'll have to do the tight areas by hand. I haven't used the Polish with Carnauba blue for overspray removal, sorry. Their Polish with Sealant is a very good cleaner though which would work great as well, probably better than the PwC blue. You just use a paint cleaner like a typical polish and during that time the overspray will be removed, quite easy depending on the base of the paint- most home paints are water based which would be pretty easy to remove. If that doesn't work you could wash the vehicle, soak a towel with laquer thinner, wipe a panel, and then wash again, and that may work as well.I haven't actually used that method because using the paint cleaner usually does the trick.

ss-truck
01-07-2008, 06:28 PM
I would be hesitant to use lacquer thinner to clean paint . It can have some bad side effects . there are several good tar removers on the market that will not harm the paint .

time-2-shine
01-07-2008, 11:18 PM
Thanks Budman for the reply... With the pro polish should i use a white pad? And is there a posability that the paint will trap itself in the pad and cause maring? Sorry for all the questions I just dont want to have to repaint any trucks....

budman3
01-08-2008, 12:05 AM
Thanks Budman for the reply... With the pro polish should i use a white pad? And is there a posability that the paint will trap itself in the pad and cause maring? Sorry for all the questions I just dont want to have to repaint any trucks....

A white polishing pad should do the trick. Anything less wouldn't be effective and an orange light cut pad may be overkill. I would keep an eye on the pad to make sure excessive paint doesn't build up and clog the pad. I would brush or wipe off any excess 'stuff' on the pad after every panel or two.