PDA

View Full Version : Polishes With Amino Functional Silicones !!

trhland
01-05-2008, 06:31 PM
would This Be A Cheap Polish? I Was Checking Out Some Polishes From - Pro Chemicals And Was Checking Out There Line Of Polishes And They All Have This In Them .

budman3
01-05-2008, 08:30 PM
It sounds like marketing BS to me... FWIW I have never heard of that line and this sounds like a way for them to stand out from other superior products.

TOGWT
01-07-2008, 04:03 PM
would This Be A Cheap Polish? I Was Checking Out Some Polishes From - Pro Chemicals And Was Checking Out There Line Of Polishes And They All Have This In Them .

Amino Functional:
What is an amino functional silicone? An amino functional silicone is a regular silicone fluid that has been modified slightly, some polishes contain silicone oils as a lubrican, every so often, instead of a dimethyl siloxane unit, an amino functional siloxane unit has been substituted. EDITED 01.08.08

So not necessarily a cheap care care product that would contain an anino functional silicone.

trhland
01-07-2008, 04:33 PM
Amino Functional:
What is an amino functional silicone? An amino functional silicone is a regular silicone fluid that has been modified slightly, some polishes contain silicone oils as a lubrican, every so often, instead of a dimethyl siloxane unit, an amino functional siloxane unit has been substituted. The amino functional unit creates a space in the chain where cross linking can occur. So an amino functional silicone can form a durable network that achieves maximum strength within 24-48 hours of the application (avoid rain and do not wash until fully cured)

So not necessarily a cheap care care product that would contain an anino functional silicone.
would a polish that contained this. be a polish that fills in swirls?

ScottB
01-07-2008, 06:08 PM
makes it sound like a paint sealant ...

Fly bye
01-07-2008, 06:15 PM
I want a polish that I can see my work afterward.

Thejoyofdriving
01-08-2008, 02:19 AM
makes it sound like a paint sealant ...

Yea, i have noticed that a lot of car care manufacturers get waxes/sealants and polishes confused, they call waxes polishes a lot of the times, and i notice older car care companys do it most. The real definition of a true pure polish is a product which removes swirls and leaves behind no protection, if it leaves behind some protection it is known as a AIO. Look around and you will see what im talking about, all the time they say thing like "our polish contains no abrasives" and at the same times they will say "our polish leaves behind a strong protective layer", what they are talking about is not a real polish, because polishes by nature contain abrasives and leave no protection behind.. I always stay away from companys that get polishes confused with waxes/sealants, it kinda shows that they dont know what they are doing.

TOGWT
01-08-2008, 03:02 AM
"Would a polish that contained this. be a polish that fills in swirls?

Any polish that contains oils will 'fill-in' surface valleys(seirls) in the paint surface (that's why some had thought that Menz containe 'fillers')

Best practice is to 'clean' the paint surface after polishing (IPA, PrepSol, etc)

ScottB
01-08-2008, 03:22 PM
Yea, i have noticed that a lot of car care manufacturers get waxes/sealants and polishes confused, they call waxes polishes a lot of the times, and i notice older car care companys do it most. The real definition of a true pure polish is a product which removes swirls and leaves behind no protection, if it leaves behind some protection it is known as a AIO. Look around and you will see what im talking about, all the time they say thing like "our polish contains no abrasives" and at the same times they will say "our polish leaves behind a strong protective layer", what they are talking about is not a real polish, because polishes by nature contain abrasives and leave no protection behind.. I always stay away from companys that get polishes confused with waxes/sealants, it kinda shows that they dont know what they are doing.

I agree there is alot to marketing and confusion on the products marketing dept by crossing names and not exactly describing products correctly. (ie Zaino Z5 is not a polish, but a paint sealant)

In TOGWT's definition above he stresses time needed to cure and crosslinking which in my mind is less "filler" and more "paint sealant" and it implies protection after the curing process. So in effect this product does sound most like an AIO offering some of everything but likely not specializing in anything !

Larry A
01-08-2008, 08:09 PM
In most cases Amino Functional Silicone is what a paint sealant is.